Ranch Potatoes are full of tangy buttermilk flavor in a creamy cheesy sauce. So easy to make any time in the slow cooker. Bacon is added to the top for a perfect finishing touch.
This crowd-pleasing side dish recipe is always a favorite!
If you love ranch dressing you’ll be nuts about this side dish.
It has those tangy flavors along with sour cream and cheese!
Crumbled bacon on top is a winner too.
You’ll love this Twice Baked Potato Casserole recipe too!
An Easy Slow Cooker Potato Recipe
There are many reasons so make this potato recipe.
- It’s easy to make
- It’s full of tangy Ranch dressing and cheesy flavors
- It has a creamy, rich texture
- And is made in the slow cooker so you can put it together and forget about
- The slow cooker is perfect for any season (doesn’t heat up the kitchen in the summer)
- Red Potatoes – the potatoes should be scrubbed but do NOT need to be peeled (the skin is very thin)! The skin adds flavor and color to the recipe.
- Salt and Pepper – for seasoning.
- Smoked Paprika – smoked paprika adds a wonderful earthy, smoky flavor and is not spicy. If you want to make them spicy you can add HOT Smoked Paprika.
- Ranch Salad Dressing – I love homemade Ranch dressing but typically use store bought dressing for this recipe. It’s thicker and saves time.
- Sour Cream – use full fat for the creamiest results.
- Cheddar Cheese – either Mild or Sharp cheddar can be used. OR do a blend of Colby and Monterey jack cheeses.
- Bacon – the bacon is cooked and chopped to be used when serving. As a short cut you can use chopped real bacon (not bacon bits or artificial bacon) that is store bought. Use 6 tablespoons.
What Size Slow Cooker to Use
I use a 6-quart Crock Pot (shown in the recipe steps below).
I like this particular slow cooker because it is programmable and has a locking lid for transporting it.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
STEP 2: Add the potatoes (photo 1). Sprinkle with the salt, pepper and smoked paprika (photo 2).
STEP 3: In a small bowl combine the ranch dressing and sour cream (photo 3). Whisk together (photo 4) and pour over the potatoes (photo 5).
STEP 4: Add the shredded cheese (photo 6) and toss to coat (photo 7).
STEP 5: Add the cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or HIGH for 3 hours (until potatoes are cooked through) (photo 8).
Stir after cooking (some of the fat may separate). Top with bacon when serving.
Optional Garnish: chopped fresh jalapenos or pickled jalapenos for a spicy bite!
What to Serve with It
- Instant Pot Smoked Paprika & Garlic Chicken Legs
- The Perfect Burger recipe
- Boneless Pork Loin Roast
- Cherries Jubilee
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Blue Margarita
Storing and Reheating
Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat over low heat on the stove top or in the microwave.
More Potato Recipes You’ll Love
- Jalapeno Popper Cheesy Potato recipe
- Homemade Potato Chips
- Roasted Potatoes
- Mashed Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Crockpot Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
- 6-quart or larger Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds Red potatoes scrubbed, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 cup Ranch dressing
- ¼ cup Sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 6 slices Bacon chopped
- Spray the slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the potatoes and season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- In a small bowl, combine the ranch dressing and sour cream. Whisk the ingredients together and pour over the top of the potatoes.
- Add the shredded cheese and toss to coat.
- Cook the potatoes on LOW for 4-5 hours or HIGH for three hours until potatoes are done.
- Stir well and top with chopped bacon before serving.