Ranch Potatoes are full of tangy buttermilk flavor in a creamy cheesy sauce. So easy to make any time in the slow cooker. Bacon is added to the top for a perfect finishing touch.
This crowd-pleasing side dish recipe is always a favorite!
If you love ranch dressing you’ll be nuts about this side dish.
It has those tangy flavors along with sour cream and cheese!
Crumbled bacon on top is a winner too.
An Easy Slow Cooker Potato Recipe
There are many reasons so make this potato recipe.
- It’s easy to make
- It’s full of tangy Ranch dressing and cheesy flavors
- It has a creamy, rich texture
- And is made in the slow cooker so you can put it together and forget about
- The slow cooker is perfect for any season (doesn’t heat up the kitchen in the summer)
- Red Potatoes – the potatoes should be scrubbed but do NOT need to be peeled (the skin is very thin)! The skin adds flavor and color to the recipe.
- Salt and Pepper – for seasoning.
- Smoked Paprika – smoked paprika adds a wonderful earthy, smoky flavor and is not spicy. If you want to make them spicy you can add HOT Smoked Paprika.
- Ranch Salad Dressing – I love homemade Ranch dressing but typically use store bought dressing for this recipe. It’s thicker and saves time.
- Sour Cream – use full fat for the creamiest results.
- Cheddar Cheese – either Mild or Sharp cheddar can be used. OR do a blend of Colby and Monterey jack cheeses.
- Bacon – the bacon is cooked and chopped to be used when serving. As a short cut you can use chopped real bacon (not bacon bits or artificial bacon) that is store bought. Use 6 tablespoons.
What Size Slow Cooker to Use
I use a 6-quart Crock Pot (shown in the recipe steps below).
I like this particular slow cooker because it is programmable and has a locking lid for transporting it.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
STEP 2: Add the potatoes (photo 1). Sprinkle with the salt, pepper and smoked paprika (photo 2).
STEP 3: In a small bowl combine the ranch dressing and sour cream (photo 3). Whisk together (photo 4) and pour over the potatoes (photo 5).
STEP 4: Add the shredded cheese (photo 6) and toss to coat (photo 7).
STEP 5: Add the cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or HIGH for 3 hours (until potatoes are cooked through) (photo 8).
Stir after cooking (some of the fat may separate). Top with bacon when serving.
Optional Garnish: chopped fresh jalapenos or pickled jalapenos for a spicy bite!
What to Serve with It
- Instant Pot Smoked Paprika & Garlic Chicken Legs
- The Perfect Burger recipe
- Boneless Pork Loin Roast
- Cherries Jubilee
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Blue Margarita
Storing and Reheating
Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat over low heat on the stove top or in the microwave.
More Potato Recipes You’ll Love
- Jalapeno Popper Cheesy Potato recipe
- Homemade Potato Chips
- Roasted Potatoes
- Mashed Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
Crockpot Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
These cheesy Ranch Potatoes are full of favorite ranch dressing flavor, sour cream and loads of cheese. Bacon on top when serving is the finishing touch!
- 2 pounds Red potatoes scrubbed, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 cup Ranch dressing
- ¼ cup Sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 6 slices Bacon chopped
Spray the slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.
Add the potatoes and season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
In a small bowl, combine the ranch dressing and sour cream. Whisk the ingredients together and pour over the top of the potatoes.
Add the shredded cheese and toss to coat.
Cook the potatoes on LOW for 4-5 hours or HIGH for three hours until potatoes are done.
Stir well and top with chopped bacon before serving.