Grilled Potatoes in Foil are an easy grilling recipe you’ll love! Packed with big flavor, these satisfying potatoes go with any main dish. Easy to make!
Grilled Potatoes are an easy side dish with delicious flavors.
Once the packets are made up there is no work from you!
Put them on the grill over indirect heat and check that they are done.
- Red potatoes
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- dried Parsley
- grated Parmesan Cheese
You’ll also need 4 large squares of foil.
How to Grill Potatoes in Foil – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Spray 4 large squared of foil with non-stick cooking spray.
STEP 2: Cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces (photo 1). Divide the potatoes evenly between the foil squares.
STEP 3: Add 2 pieces of the butter to the top of each serving of potatoes.
STEP 4: Combine the garlic powder, salt, pepper and dried parsley in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the mixture on top of each potato serving (photo 3) followed by Parmesan cheese (photo 4).
STEP 5: Fold the sides of the foil over and crimp closed on all sides (photo below).
STEP 6: Place on the grill on INDIRECT HEAT for 20-30 minutes (photo below) until the potatoes are cooked and the cheese and butter have melted.
Best Potatoes to Use
I recommend Red Potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes.
Their waxy consistency holds up to grilling and keeping their form.
Also the thin skin does not have to be peeled.
I have made this recipe with peeled Russet Potatoes.
They were also delicious though have to be peeled (more time) and fall apart more when cooked.
How Long to Cook Grilled Potatoes?
When wrapped tightly in a foil packet grilled potatoes will cook in 25-30 minutes over INDIRECT HEAT.
If the potatoes are not cut into bite-size pieces or slices, and are left whole the time can be longer.
How to Shorten the Potato Grilling Time
The potatoes can be boiled or steamed first until they are tender.
THEN load them into the foil packets are instructed in the recipe.
The grilling time will only be around 10 minutes. Just enough to melt the butter and cheese.
Oven Baked Potatoes in Foil
These potatoes in foil can also be baked in the oven.
- Prepare as directed.
- Place packets on a rimmed baking sheet for easier handling.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Check for doneness.
- Actual baking time can vary depending on the potatoes and their size.
Make it a Meal – Serve this Too!
- Grilled St. Louis-Style Ribs
- How to Grill the Perfect Burger
- Broccoli Salad
- Blueberry Mint Daiquiris
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- How to Cook Hot Dogs (10 ways)
- Easy Grilling Recipes
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Baby Back Ribs
- Green Chile au Gratin Potatoes
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Grilled Garlic Parmesan Potato Foil Packets
- 1 1/2 pounds Red Potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Butter cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
- Spray four large squares of aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide the potatoes evenly between the foil squares. Place two pieces of butter on top of the potatoes in each packet.
- Combine the garlic powder, salt, black pepper and dried parsley in a small bowl. Mix together.
- Season each potato packet with 1 teaspoon of the seasoning mix.
- Top the potatoes with grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 teaspoons per packet).
- Fold the sides of the foil over the top of the potatoes, then roll up the ends to secure the foil in place.
- Place the packets seam side up on a hot grill over indirect heat. Cook on the grill for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and the butter and cheese are melted.