Spark up your dinner menu with this Instant Pot Jambalaya recipe. It’s a spicy, filling Louisiana recipe full of andouille sausage, shrimp, rice and vegetables that’s fast and easy to make!
With the cold weather I’ve been firing up my Instant Pot daily to whip up soups, stews and other hearty recipes.
I love recipes that are completely cooked in the Instant Pot multi-cooker which saves on clean up AND once I’ve sealed the ‘IP’ that I can go do something else!
To be clear I have nothing against traditional cooking methods, I just really can use more time in many days, particularly on weeknights for dinner.
The versatility of the Instant Pot to prepare a variety of cuisines’ recipes with robust flavors ‘super fast’ is a win.
What is Jambalaya?
Jambalaya is a cajun recipe originating in Louisiana made with rice, celery, peppers and onion; with chicken and smoked or spicy sausage like Andouille.
Shrimp is often added too.
This Instant Pot Jambalaya recipe does not include chicken but with a few little tricks is perfection with spicy sausage and shrimp!
How to make Instant Pot Jambalaya – Step by Step:
This version of Jambalaya is easy to make and irresistibly delicious!
For a detailed printable recipe refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Set the Instant Pot on the ‘Saute’ setting. Add sausage slices and cook until browned (about 2 minutes per side) (photo 1).
- Remove and place on a double layer of paper towels to drain (photo 2).
- Add the vegetables to the Instant Pot insert to sauté (photo 3). NOTE: they will pick up the browned bits in the Instant Pot, flavoring the oil in the process.
- Add the rice and seasonings to the sautéed vegetables. Toss to fully coat the rice (photo 4).
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock, and salt; stir (photo 5).
- Seal the Instant Pot and cook on High Pressure for 8 minutes (photo 6). When the cooking completes, natural release for 5 minutes followed by a manual release of the remaining pressure.
- Stir the rice mixture.
- Add the sausage, shrimp and scallions (photo 7).
- Reseal the Instant Pot lid and allow the Jambalaya to warm for 5 minutes in the residual heat (note: the Instant Pot is on Warm).
Time Saving Ingredient Preparation Tip
I have mentioned I use a Mini Chopper for everything. It speeds up chopping and minimizes clean-up.
If you have a mini chopper, combine the onions and garlic to chop; add them to the Instant Pot at the prescribed time.
As they start to cook, combine the green pepper and celery to the mini chopper, pulse to chop and add to the Instant Pot.
No knives or cutting board to clean up and the vegetables chop in a flash.
What does this Instant Pot Jambalaya Recipe Taste Like?
The seasonings in this recipe are on point. Bold and spicy in traditional Louisiana style.
It’s a warming, filling recipe, perfect for winter’s chill. I loved the step of sautéing the sausage giving it a browned crust.
Adding the sausage and the shrimp at the end of the recipe, allowing it to only warm through, keeps a wonderful texture; firm, with a bite (not rubbery as overcooking can cause).
This Jambalaya recipe is adapted from a cookbook I was reviewing (credit in the recipe notes below).
When making the Jambalaya recipe as written I found the rice was al dente.
The goal of the recipe is to cook the rice through and avoid it becoming mushy.
After researching, there are multiple ways to achieve this.
I found extending the cooking by a minute, allowing brief natural release followed by adding the sausage, shrimp and scallions, resealing the pot and warming in the residual heat provided a more satisfying result (the recipe reflects the changes I made).
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Short Ribs with Harvest Succotash
- Instant Pot Meatloaf: Fast Easy Comfort Food
- Creme Brulee in the Instant Pot
- Vegetable Beef Soup (Instant Pot and Stove Top options)
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
Try These Recipes too!
- Shakshuka (Poached Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce)
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: The Best Method Ever!
- How to Make Simple Syrup
- Cheesy Bacon Quiche
- Homemade Hot Chocolate
- Chicken Enchiladas Skillet
5 MIND-BLOWING INSTANT POT TIPS YOU NEED!
I’ve uncovered some unexpected, useful tips you’ll want to know.
Sign-Up below and I’ll tell you all my Instant Pot secrets!
Originally published: January 21, 2018