Jalapeno Popper fans will LOVE this cheesy potato recipe! All your favorite ingredients combined into an EASY potato casserole full of creamy, cheesy flavor, bacon and a crisp top.
What could be better than perfectly diced potatoes, loaded with cream cheese, spicy jalapenos, two kinds of cheese and bacon?
Preparing it in 5-minutes and baking it as a potato casserole, is what!
This delicious side dish is easy to make, with show stopping flavors.
Topped with a bread crumb crust for a bit of crunchy texture too.
What are Jalapeno Poppers?
If you’ve never tried a jalapeno popper you have been missing out!
Spicy jalapeno chile peppers are hollowed out and filled with cream cheese and often bacon.
They are usually fried. The flavors combine for a creamy, spicy, salty end result that is irresistibly good.
Cheesy Potato Casserole
This EASY potato casserole recipe takes all the ingredients from jalapeno poppers and adds extra cheese and spices.
It takes 5-minutes to put together and 30 minutes to bake.
The end result is a fantastic side dish that is satisfying comfort food.
- Frozen Diced Potatoes with peppers and onions
- fresh Jalapeno Peppers
- Black Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- canned Evaporated Milk
- Cream Cheese
- shredded Cheddar Cheese
- shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Panko Bread crumbs
Frozen Diced Potatoes
Buying this prepared mix saves loads of time. It is also called ‘Potatoes O’Brien’.
Ensure the frozen mix has potatoes, peppers and onions.
When cutting Jalapenos be careful NOT to touch your eyes, nose or mouth without washing your hands first after cutting them.
The seeds contain the majority of the spiciness so removing them is key.
There are multiple types of paprika. For this recipe Smoked Paprika (regular, not Hot Smoked Paprika) is recommended.
It adds a wonderful earthy smoky flavor.
If it is not available you can substitute regular paprika.
I love the convenience of pre-shredded cheese however have found it does not melt as well as regular cheese that you’d shred at home.
This is due to the anti-caking agent added.
If possible shred the cheese yourself. If not pre-shredded cheese WILL work it just won’t melt to be quite as creamy.
When cooking the bacon be sure not to cook it to be completely crisp. Cook it so it is still pliable.
Also real bacon bits can be substituted. Follow the guide on the package to substitute the equivalent of 3 slices.
Panko Bread Crumbs
These are available at most stores and create a wonderfully crisp top layer when cooked.
They come in a gluten-free version as well.
How to Make Jalapeno Popper Cheesy Potatoes – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
STEP 2: In a large mixing bowl combine the frozen potatoes, diced jalapeno, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, evaporated milk, cream cheese and the shredded cheeses (photos 1-2).
STEP 3: Spoon mixture into the prepared pan (photo 3) and top with the chopped bacon (photo 4).
STEP 4: Mix the bread crumbs and melted butter. Spread evenly over the top of the potato casserole (photo 5).
STEP 5: Bake for 30 minutes until the breadcrumbs become golden in color and the casserole is bubbling (photo 6).
Allow the cheesy potato recipe to rest for 10 minutes outside the oven before serving. Add the sliced jalapeno pepper on the top to garnish.
How to Store Leftovers
In the Refrigerator
Tightly seal the cooled baking dish OR place servings in a sealed container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Potato Recipes You’ll Love
- Green Chile au Gratin Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes with Lavender
- Roasted Garlic Buttermilk Smashed Red Potatoes
- Mashed Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Garlic
- Taco-Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- Irish Colcannon Recipe
Try these Side Dishes Recipes too!
- Fast and Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- Creamy Ginger Scalloped Sunchokes
- Instant Pot Artichokes
- Lemony Romanesco with Pine Nuts
- Balsamic Roasted Vegetables with Sumac
Jalapeno Popper Cheesy Potatoes
- 1 32-ounce package frozen Diced Potatoes with peppers and onions
- 2 fresh Jalapeno Peppers one diced and one sliced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 12- 12-ounce can Evaporated Milk
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3 strips Bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter melted
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs regular or gluten-free
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish by spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the frozen potatoes, diced jalapeno, salt, pepper, paprika, evaporated milk, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and pepper jack cheese.
- Spread the potato mixture in the prepared baking dish and top with chopped bacon.
- Combine the melted butter and bread crumbs and sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until the bread crumbs are toasted and the sauce is bubbling. Allow the casserole to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
This cheesy potato recipe is SO easy to make! You’ll love your favorite appetizer turned into a side dish perfect for any meal.