Twice Baked Potato Casserole is full of creamy, buttery mashed potatoes with cream cheese and sour cream! Baked with loads of cheese and bacon, this casserole is a favorite for Thanksgiving and any night you are craving comfort food. Make ahead option too.
If you are a twice baked potato lover this casserole is your dream come true!
Can’t get enough of creamy mashed potatoes?
It has everything you love about a baked potato and more!
The BEST Potato Casserole Recipe
If you love a fully loaded baked potato you know what needs to be on it.
Sour cream, butter (lots of butter), cheese, bacon, fresh chives.
All of those ingredients are included in this potato casserole.
The potatoes are boiled, mashed then combined with cream cheese, sour cream, butter and cheese.
Then baked for a second time with MORE cheese and bacon on top.
The result are creamy lofty whipped-like potatoes with incredible flavor.
The only thing missing from this baked potato recipe are the potato skins!
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
Russet Potatoes. Starchy or ‘floury’ potatoes are definitely the way to go to get the best texture for this potato casserole. Russet potatos blend perfectly with the other ingredients for a delicious whipped potato texture.
Cream Cheese. Adds richness and some tang to the potatoes.
Sour Cream. Gives a creamy consistency to the mashed potatoes along with a little tang but not too much.
Unsalted Butter. You can’t have mashed potatoes without creamy butter! I recommend unsalted butter so the butter flavor is there but you control how salty you want them by adding salt at the end before assembling the casserole.
Spices. Garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. These specific spice pump up the flavor of the casserole without overtaking the perfect mashed potato flavor.
Cheddar Cheese. Cheese is added into the mashed potatoes and then on top for a wonderful top layer. For the best melting result grate the cheese yourself.
Store bought shredded cheese has an anti caking agent added so it won’t stick together in the package. This makes it melt not as well as home grated cheese.
Bacon. No baked potato is complete without some bacon on top and these twice baked potatoes aren’t either. Crumbled bacon tops the casserole with the cheese.
Fresh chives. Adding some fresh chives on top completes all the flavors we love in a baked potato.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP 2. Heat a large pot of cold salted water to boil the potatoes. Peel and cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Simmer the potatoes for 15 minutes or until they are soft.
STEP 3. Drain the potatoes and mash (photo 1). See different options for how to mash them below.
Add the cream cheese, butter and sour cream. Stir until fully combined (photos 2-4).
STEP 4. Stir in the seasonings (garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper) and 1 cup cheddar cheese (photos 5-6). Add more salt or pepper to taste.
STEP 5. Spread the potato mixture in a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and bacon (photos 7-10).
STEP 6. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until the potatoes are warmed through (photo 11). Garnish with fresh chives (or green onions) and serve (photo 12).
The Secret to Making the Best Mashed Potatoes
First off ‘the best mashed potatoes’ is very personal. Some people love them smooth as silk.
Others love some texture. And some like them light and whipped.
To get a very smooth texture use a potato ricer.
It’s a device that pushed the cooked potatoes through a disk with holes in it. It makes what looks like strings of potato.
The texture makes it very easy to mix and gets out all the lumps!
If you enjoy more texture using a potato masher or even a fork will work great.
How to Make it Ahead
This option is helpful especially when preparing for a holiday meal!
Make it up to two days ahead.
- Make the casserole up through the step of adding the second cup of cheese and bacon on the top (reserve that).
- Cover tightly and refrigerate.
- Remove from the refrigerator while heating the oven.
- Cover the top with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil. Add the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese and bacon on top.
- Cook for 30 more minutes or until the cheese has melted and the casserole is warm all the way through.
Store leftovers tightly covered for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or in the oven, covered, on a low temperature.
What to Serve with Twice Baked Potato Casserole
This is one of those recipes that really goes with anything. People love the potato casserole so much they’ll pick that first and figure out something to go with it!
- Easy Roast Turkey or Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- THE BEST Lemon Roasted Chicken
- Roasted Cornish Game Hens
- Boneless Pork Loin Roast with Garlic and Fresh Herbs
More Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love!
- Easy Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Garlic
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 8 medium russet potatoes 4 pounds total
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons diced fresh chives
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Start a large pot with cold, salted water on the stove to boil. Peel and cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
- Add potatoes to pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low heat to simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
- Drain and place the potatoes in a large bowl. Mash well with a fork or mixer until desired consistency.
- Add in the cream cheese, butter, and sour cream until well combined.
- Stir in seasonings (garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper) and one cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread potato mixture into a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve!