The flavor of buffalo wings in an irresistible comfort food dip form! This best Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe can be made in the slow cooker, oven or on the stove top for the perfect game day snack or appetizer recipe.
Buffalo chicken lovers will be over the moon with this dip.
It’s rich, full of classic flavors and the right amount of tangy spice.
It’s a great choice for your next party. This delicious recipe is a perfect appetizer for any special occasion, super bowl sunday, new year’s eve party , family gatherings and more. It will be love at first bite!
We think you’ll want to try our Buffalo Chicken Pasta recipe too!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
Take everything you love about Buffalo Chicken Wings and transform them into an irresistible hot and creamy dip! It’s one of those easy appetizers everyone loves.
This Buffalo Chicken Wing dip makes a great hot appetizer for Game Day watch parties and it’s incredibly easy to make.
Let it cook on the stove top or oven if you need it in a hurry or make it in the slow cooker so it stays warm and ready all day long. Cook time is noted for each method below.
With the zesty flavor of Frank’s hot sauce, a hint of Ranch and plenty of tender shredded chicken in each bite, this dip is every Buffalo chicken lover’s favorite!
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
Shredded Chicken. Using a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store makes this dip recipe even more convenient. We love this homemade shredded chicken recipe using chicken breasts.
If you have leftover shredded chicken on hand to use up, you can use that instead!
Frank’s Red Hot. This is the quintessential hot sauce used in the original Buffalo sauce recipe. It has the ideal balance of tangy and spicy that’s makes the sauce so delicious.
Don’t substitute ready made wing sauce or Frank’s extra hot sauce–it’s beastly hot and will overwhelm the flavors of your wing dip.
Cheddar Cheese. Use medium or sharp cheddar. Shred your own cheddar cheese for the dip. Store bought packages of shredded cheese contain a caking agent that keeps the cheese from melting into creamy, cheesy perfection.
Ranch Dressing Mix. You can also substitute 2/3 of a cup of ready made Ranch dressing if you prefer.
Cream Cheese. Cut it into cubes so it melts in with the other ingredients more quickly.
Sour Cream. This key ingredient adds a coolness to the dip that balances out the heat from the Frank’s sauce.
Green onions. Add a pop of color and freshness to your hot wing dip by garnishing with chopped green onions before serving.
Blue Cheese. Bleu cheese (or “blue” cheese) dressing makes a tasty substitute for the Ranch for anyone who loves their wings dipped in it!
Adding a few blue cheese crumbles along with the green onions as a garnish gives the flavor without taking over.
Blue cheese has a strong, noticeable flavor that not everyone loves, so consider how people like the flavor before swapping it in.
Lower fat. Typically we make Buffalo dip with regular full fat cream cheese and sour cream, but reduced fat versions could be substituted for a lightened up dip. The dip won’t be quite as creamy but will still taste delicious!
Hot sauce. If you’re not a fan of Frank’s (or don’t have any) you can swap it out for another preferred red pepper sauce like Tabasco or Cholula.
What to Serve with the Buffalo Dip recipe
- Veggie sticks (celery sticks, carrot sticks)
- bread sticks
- tortilla chips or corn chips
- pita chips or bagel chips
- all kinds of bread
Are all delicious options with this spicy dip.
It’s a great pair with Spinach Artichoke Dip for dip party too.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
Detailed recipe instructions for all methods in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1. Slow Cooker Method – Takes 2 -3 hours
Put all the ingredients into your slow cooker (photo 1). Cover and cook on LOW for 2 -3 hours. Stir the dip regularly to help everything melt together and combine (photo 2.) When the dip if heated through, creamy and thick, it’s ready to garnish with the green onions and serve.
You can serve the dip straight from the crock pot set to WARM or transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy immediately.
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip is great for gatherings.
2. Stove Top Method – Ready in 10 minutes
Cook the shredded chicken and hot sauce in a large saucepan over medium heat until simmering.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook until the cheeses are melted and everything is well combined and heated through (about 8 minutes).
Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish and enjoy the hot dip!
3. Oven Method – Ready in 20 minutes
Set aside 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, then combine all remaining ingredients in a rimmed baking dish or skillet.
Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top and bake until melted and bubbly (about 20 minutes).
Garnish with green onions and serve straight from the baking pan or transfer to a serving bowl.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make the dip several hours ahead of time and keep it warm in the slow cooker until you’re ready to serve it.
We prefer the taste of this dip when it’s freshly made but it still tastes good reheated! For best reheating results, transfer the leftover dip to an oven safe skillet or baking pan and warm in a 350 degree oven until hot, melted and bubbly.
This wing dip has a way of disappearing well before you have a chance to worry about leftovers!
If you do wind up with more dip than you can eat in one sitting, transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and store it in the fridge. It’ll keep for about 3 days.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Buffalo Chicken Crostini
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatball + Mini Sandwiches
- Tangy Buffalo Cauliflower
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 3 cups (aprox. 1 pound) shredded rotisserie chicken
- ¾ cup hot sauce Frank’s Original Hot Sauce was used for this recipe
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons ranch seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions sliced
Stove Top method (10 minutes cooking time)
- Combine the chicken and hot sauce in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes until well combined and simmering.
- Stir in the cream cheese, sour cream, ranch seasoning and cheese. Cook, stirring often, until all ingredients have melted together and the dip is heated through.
- Remove from pan and serve immediately. NOTE: to keep dip hot consider serving in a small dip crockpot or chaffing dish. It also can be quickly microwaved to warm it back up.
Oven method (20 minutes cooking time)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, ranch seasoning, and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir well to combine.
- Add to a an oven safe baking dish or skillet. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
Slow Cooker method (2-3 hours cooking time)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and stir well. Cook on LOW for 2-3 hours stirring periodically to mix the ingredients., until the dip is heated through and everything is melted and well combined.
- Cook on LOW for 2-3 hours stirring periodically until all ingredients have melted, the dip is well combined heated through.
- Serving options: 1) Turn slow cooker to warm if serving directly from the slow cooker. 2) Remove the dip from the slow cooker and serve immediately.
Serving the dip (all methods)
- Serve hot garnished with sliced green onions. Serve with celery sticks, sliced vegetables, chips, cracker and or bread sticks. Blue cheese sprinkles can be added to garnish too!
Easy to make and fun to eat, Buffalo Chicken Dip is a crowd-pleaser! Make a batch of this bubbly, cheesy dip for your next football tailgate, movie night or holiday gathering.
Originally published: January 14, 2021