Buffalo Chicken Crostini is a hot two-bite appetizer recipe you’ll love! Sliced baguette slathered with garlic butter, piled high with shredded buffalo chicken, cheese and drizzled with ranch dressing.
This recipe is a two part Instant Pot and oven preparation.
The Buffalo Chicken is prepared in the Instant Pot. It’s fast, moist and delicious.
The crostini are assembled and toasted in the oven until the cheese is bubbling hot.
The flavors in this recipe are so good! If you are a buffalo chicken lover, this is for you!
Follow it up with Buffalo Chicken Pasta for full flavor induldgence.
What is Crostini?
Also called ‘crostino’ (singular) they are Italian appetizers made with small slices of toasted or grilled bread. The slices are topped with meats, cheese or vegetables.
Tanslated crostini means ‘little crusts’.
What’s the Difference between Crostini and Brushetta?
They are both Italian antipasto. But the main difference is all about the bread: the type and how it’s prepared.
Bruschetta traditionally uses grilled or broiled bread. It’s usually larger, wide pieces of sourdough or Italian bread.
The topping used can be as simple as homemade garlic butter brushed over the crusty grilled bread. Or can be more elaborate like marinated tomatoes or fava beans heaped on top.
Crostini is made with more slender baguette, sliced and toasted. The slices are toasted in the oven and always topped with something, not something as simple as garlic butter.
Easy Delicious Crostini Recipe
This appetizer recipe is impossible to keep on the table in my house. It’s gobbled up as soon as it’s set down.
The flavors are so delicious we’ve transformed them into sandwiches is there is any baguette leftover.
Tangy, spicy buffalo chicken, cream cheese, garlic butter and ranch dressing make these hot appetizer a favorite!
The crostini are small, a few bites each. But the flavors are bold and the satisfying!
Recipe Ingredient + Notes
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken – I use my easy Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken recipe. It’s fast and delicious. Any shredded buffalo chicken may be used.
Cream Cheese – this combined with the buffalo chicken gives creamy tangy flavor. I recommend full fat cream cheese for the most flavor but lower fat cream cheese will also work.
Green onions – these are sliced and adding to the chicken mixture.
Olive Oil – brushed onto the sliced bread (with spices mixed in) to give a garlic oil flavor to the crostini.
Garlic Powder – garlic powder gives great flavor and mixes well with the olive oil for good flavor coverage when brushed on the bread.
Salt and Pepper – added to the olive oil mixture for just right seasoning.
French baguette – use a slender baguette rather than a large size. These are two-bite crostini. Regular or gluten-free baguettes may be used.
Note on Gluten-Free baguettes: For gluten-free I use Udi’s or Against the Grain. Typically they may be smaller than a regular baguette so more than one may be needed for the recipe.
shredded Mozzarella Cheese – this tops the crostini and melts over the chicken.
Ranch Dressing – I love using homemade ranch dressing but store bought ranch dressing is delicious too. Use whichever works for you!
Italian Parsley – garnish on the finished crostini before serving.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
These crostini are brushed then toasted with the toppings. For a crunchier texture, you can toast the bread with the garlic-olive oil for a minute or two THEN add the toppings to finish.
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
STEP 2: Combine the buffalo chicken and cream cheese; stir to combine. Add the green onions and stir; set aside (photos 1-3).
STEP 3: In a small bowl combine the olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
STEP 4: Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Line the bread slices on the pan leaving some room in between (photo 4).
STEP 5: Brush the bread with the olive oil mixture (photos 5-6). Follow with scoop of the chicken mixture (photo 7) and some shredded cheese (photo 8).
STEP 6: Bake for 6-8 minutes until the chicken is heated through and the cheese has melted (photo 9). Drizzle with ranch dressing and serve hot (photo 10).
These are best eaten hot and fresh out of the oven.
If having leftover ingredients (chicken mixture, cheese, garlic butter) store the ingredients separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Warm the chicken before assembling the crostini with the leftover.
Can you Make Crostini Ahead of Time?
For this recipe that’s not recommended. It is the best hot out of the oven.
You could prepare parts of the dish so it’s faster to assemble, cook and serve, however.
- Slice the baguette and keep slices in a sealed container so they doesn’t dry out.
- Make the Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken ahead. It can even be made the day before. Just warm it at least to room temperature before assembling the crostini for cooking so all the ingredients cook properly in the specified time.
- Shred the cheese if not using pre-shredded cheese.
- If making homemade Ranch Dressing, prepare that before hand.
Other Appetizer Recipes to Serve with Crostini!
- Onion & Fig Puff Pastry Appetizers
- Roasted Peppers in Oil with Garlic
- Devils on Horseback
- Sweet Chili Avocado Bagel Bruschetta
Try these Recipes too!
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Mushroom Soup with Parmesan Crostini
- Slow Cooker Ranch Potatoes
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK , TWITTER , INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST !
Buffalo Chicken Crostini
- 2 cups shredded Instant Pot buffalo chicken
- ⅓ cup cream cheese
- 2 green onions sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 slender French baguette (regular or gluten-free) sliced ¾ inch thick
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup ranch dressing homemade or store bought
- Fresh chopped Italian parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the buffalo chicken and cream cheese until well combined. Stir in the sliced green onions. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Line the bread slices on the baking tray. Brush each slice on top with the olive oil mixture.
- Next, top each bread slice with a spoonful of the buffalo chicken mix. Top off each slice with some of the shredded cheese.
- Place into the oven for 6-8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starts to bubble.
- Drizzle the ranch dressing over the top and garnish with the fresh parsley, serve warm.
This was so great! Loved the flavor of the chicken!
Such a fantastic appetizer! I can’t wait to try these!! YUM!
These are definitely going to happen this weekend! They are incredible!