If you love Buffalo Chicken Wings you will be crazy over this Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Lasagna! All the flavors in hot wings you love, wrapped into a cheesy comfort food version. No messy fingers either! Gluten-free.
With football season in full swing and having had our first snow (yes, you read that right), the timing seems right to share some unexpected, mouthwatering comfort food in the form of Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Lasagna. I shared another lip-licking lasagna last weekend (Mexican Lasagna with Hatch Chilies) and don’t usually share something similar so quickly but the time seemed right for Buffalo Wings in a reinvented form!
I have loved blue cheese for as long as I can remember. And after discovering Buffalo Wings I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. The piquant sauce slathered on the chicken wings is a perfect mixture of spicy and tangy, and when then dipped in blue cheese…..perfection! Cue mouth watering now.
As much as I love ‘wings’ they don’t play well for all occasions. Football parties with people sitting on your nicely upholstered furniture; don’t think so. Around the dinner table; there aren’t enough napkins in the free world to cover that. Instead I’ve folded all the traditional flavors into a lasagna which allows the Buffalo Chicken Wing experience in a more corralled form.
Shredded roast chicken, tangy buffalo wing sauce, blue cheese, as well as Monterey Jack and Mild Cheddar deliver the ooey-gooey cheesy quality of lasagna we all love. I really can’t think of a better combination of flavors and textures, can you? AND it’s very easy to put together! The noodles do not need to be pre-boiled either (I have a secret tip to bypass that step included in the recipe). What are you waiting for?!
Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
- 1 package Lasagna Noodles (gluten-free or regular)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- ½ large Yellow Onion , peeled and chopped
- 4 cups Shredded Chicken (great use for rotisserie chicken or homemade shredded chicken)
- 25.5 ounce jar Marinara Tomato Sauce
- 12 ounce bottle Buffalo Wing Sauce (medium heat recommended)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 15 ounce container Ricotta Cheese
- 1 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese , grated
- 1 3/4 cup Mild Cheddar cheese , grated
- 2 4- ounce containers Blue Cheese Crumbles
- 1/4 cup hot water
- (Optional) Celery Sticks for side garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine the grated mild cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses in a mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over high heat and add onions. Cook while stirring until onions are translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add Marinara sauce and buffalo wing sauce. Stir to combine; add the shredded chicken. Bring the mixture to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Spoon one third of the sauce mixture into the bottom of 13 x 9 x 3 inch baking pan. Spread to evenly cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- On top of the sauce, place four uncooked lasagna noodles (there will be space between them). Spread half of the ricotta cheese on the noodles. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of the grated cheese, followed by 4-ounces (1 container) of blue cheese crumbles.
- Repeat Steps 4 and 5 above.
- Place last four noodles on top of layered lasagna and cover with the remaining one third of the sauce. Gently pour the 1/4 cup hot water around the inside edges of the baking dish (between the noodles and inside edge of the baking dish). Note: if the water pools at the top of the lasagna, insert a dining knife or spatula between the edge of the lasagna and pan and pull gently toward the lasagna to open a space for the water to run down the sides of the pan. Smooth lasagna back into place. Cover tightly with two pieces of heavy duty foil. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove the lasagna from oven and remove the foil. Cover with the remaining grated cheese and place back in the oven, uncovered, to cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.