This colorful Easy Grilled Chicken Shish Kabobs recipe is a must for summer grilling. Marinated overnight, the kabobs grill in 10 minutes!
Grilling season has begun and in my house the grill is fired up almost every day in the summer. It keeps the house cooler than running the oven and the flavor of grilled food just tastes like summer to me.
One of my favorite things to make are Easy Chicken Shish Kabobs. This kabob recipe could not be easier, prettier or more flavorful.
All the ingredients are put in a bag to marinate overnight (or at least a few hours), threaded on a skewer and cooked for about 10 minutes and dinner is done!
Summer is here and I’m ready for some grilling action! No meat, vegetable or fruit is safe from my grill but one of my favorites are these Easy Grilled Chicken Shish Kabobs. They are colorful, loaded with marinated chicken and vegetables, and grill in about 10 minutes; what’s not to love, right? In the case of this kabob recipe, EVERYTHING is to love!
Easy Chicken Shish Kabobs – A Fast, Colorful Main Dish
Having both meat and vegetables on the skewers streamlines a meal and also produces an eye catching plate everyone will love. With a rainbow of colors available in sweet peppers, it’s easy to really wow when creating your skewers.
Being able to marinate the ingredients overnight and leaves just threading the skewers before grilling. It’s a great recipe for grilling parties being so eye-catching, filling and quick to grill. Everyone always loves a great kabob recipe.
Don’t Soak Bamboo Skewers (Life-changing Tip from a Grill Master)
In an experiment with soaked and unsoaked skewers, they both caught fire at the same time.
PRO TIP: Instead if I use bamboo skewers I place a double layer of foil underneath the exposed end of the skewers on the grill. It keeps them from charring and makes it easier to flip them.
There also are reusable stainless grill shields for skewers dedicated for this purpose.
Double Skewers or Flat Skewers for Chicken Shish Kabob Success!
When making skewers to grill, single round skewers often lead to the ingredients on the skewer not turning evenly. Some piece may stay in place, others may spin which can lead to over or undercooking.
PRO TIP: One way to address this is double skewering or using a flat skewer (either a metal flat skewer or bamboo flat skewer). Flat skewers keep all ingredients in place so when rotating from side to side it all stays intact allowing quick, even grilling. Allowing a bit of space between each ingredient is also a good practice to allow everything to cook evenly.
Chicken Shish Kabobs Can Also be Broiled!
Though this recipe is intended for grilling, the kabobs can also be broiled. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes and flip for another 5 minutes. Keep an eye on the kabobs while cooking to ensure they don’t burn and check there is no pink in the center of the chicken when done.
If you love these Chicken Shish Kabobs, you’ll love these recipes too:
- Charred Cedar Plank Salmon with Lemon and Dill
- Smoked Blue Cheese Stuffed Bacon-Wrapped Chile Peppers
- Grilled Spicy Salt and Pepper Shrimp Skewers
How to make Easy Grilled Chicken Shish Kabobs – Step by Step:
Easy Grilled Chicken Shish Kabobs
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- ¼ cup Sweet Chili Sause
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon diced Ginger
- 2 medium Garlic Cloves , diced
- 1 pound boneless , skinless Chicken Breasts, rinsed, patted dry with paper towel and cut into 1 ¼ inch cubes
- 2 large Bell Peppers (any colors), seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
- 8 ounces Cremini Mushrooms , cleaned by gently rubbing with a damp paper towel
- 1 large Red Onion , cut into 1-inch squares
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a zipper close gallon plastic bag. Seal bag, and shake vigorously to combine. Add the chicken, peppers, mushrooms and onion to the bag; squeeze out as much air as possible and seal. Massage the bag contents to coat the meat and vegetables with the marinade. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the marinated ingredients and discard the marinade. Tip: the bag can be poured out into a colander allow excess marinade to drain from ingredients into the sink. Thread 10-12 skewers with the chicken and vegetables, alternating on the skewers and leaving about 3 inches at the blunt end. Allow a bit of space between ingredients (refer to photos for an example).
- Heat the grill to medium heat (around 350 degrees). Place skewers on the grill with a strip of foil underneath the end of the skewer if bamboo. Close the lid and allow kabobs to cook 10-15 minutes, rotating them on each side during the cooking (2-3 minutes a side). Check to ensure the chicken has no pink color in the middle before removing all the skewers from these grill. Allow to sit 5 mintues before serving.