Rhubarb Crisp is an easy, relaxed dessert recipe perfect for rhubarb season! This family recipe has a little twist with a ‘secret ingredient’ that makes the topping taste and crunch like toffee.
Rhubarb is only in season for a short time and this is the dessert you’ll want to make with it!
Rhubarb Crisp is easy to make.
It’s not a fussy dessert but is bursting with rhubarb flavor with a delicious topping!
If you are looking for down home comfort food, this is it!
What is Rhubarb Crisp?
A ‘crisp’ is in the family of Americana desserts like cobbler, pandowdy, slumps and crumbles.
It’s a very relaxed dessert featuring rhubarb bakes then topped with a streusel-type topping and baked more.
The Rhubarb Crisp is a relaxed easy dessert that is perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
An EASY Scoopable Dessert recipe
This Rhubarb Crisp recipe is special for multiple reasons!
It’s a vintage recipe
This one in particular is straight from my grandmother’s recipe box.
A Secret Ingredient: Cornflakes Cereal
Most crisp recipes use rolled oats. This one uses crushed Cornflakes cereal!
This gives the topping a sweet flavor and distinct crunch!
The mixture of the topping ingredients forms a toffee topping when it has baked and cooled.
Both in texture and flavor.
It’s a very Easy Dessert Recipe
The crisp bakes to be less than one inch deep making it a scoopable dessert.
Pile it onto a plate and top with ice cream if desired.
Perfect for lazy weekend dinners.
If you want a pretty dessert, try Strawberry Shortcake.
If you want an easy, relaxed, delicious, seasonal dessert, you can’t beat Rhubarb Crisp!
- All Purpose Flour
- Light Brown Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- chopped Walnuts
This recipe is perfect for fresh rhubarb.
Frozen, thawed rhubarb may also be substituted!
Rhubarb is very tart and not edible without cooking it.
Also the leaves of the plant are poisonous and should never be eaten.
When is Rhubarb in Season?
In the United States rhubarb is grown either outside or in a hot house.
The availability of the two types overlaps making rhubarb available from around March through July.
Either regular All Purpose Flour OR gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend may be used.
Regular or gluten-free cornflakes cereal may be used.
How to Make Rhubarb Crisp – Step-by- Step
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan.
STEP 2: Cut the rhubarb into 1-inch pieces and place them in the prepared pan. Drizzle with honey and salt. Bake until tender approximately 30-40 minutes.
STEP 3: While the rhubarb bakes, combine the following in a large mixing bowl: flour, brown sugar and butter. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the other ingredients forming a coarse texture like small stones.
STEP 4: Mix in the cornflakes and nuts.
STEP 5: Sprinkle the topping mix over the rhubarb and bake uncovered at 400 degrees F until the top begins to brown (aproximately 15 minutes).
STEP 6: Remove and allow to cool almost to room temperature. NOTE: this allows the top to become crunchy.
Rhubarb Crisp is best eaten when freshly made.
Leftovers can be stored for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The topping won’t be as crunchy but it will still be delicious.
I do not recommend freezing this Rhubarb Crisp recipe.
More Rhubarb Recipes You’ll Love!
- Rhubarb Fool
- Rhubarb Pie Cocktail
- Rhubarb Grunt
- Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- Brined Boneless Pork Loin Roast with Rhubarb-Cherry Port Sauce
Try these Recipes too!
- Challah French Toast with Berries
- Home-Style Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Cookie Dough Snickers Brownies
- Shrimp Salad Recipe
- Pickled Red Onions
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK , TWITTER , INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST !
- 2 ½ pound fresh Rhubarb
- ½ cup mild flavored Honey
- Dash of Kosher Salt
- ¾ cup All Purpose Flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- ¾ cup Light Brown Sugar firmly packed
- ½ cup cold Unsalted Butter cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¾ cup Corn Flakes (regular or gluten-free) crushed
- ½ cup chopped Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 13-inch by 9-inch (2-inches tall) baking pan.
- Cut the rhubarb into 1 inch pieces. Place them into the prepared baking pan.
- Combine the honey and salt. Drizzle over rhubarb.
- Cover and bake until tender, 30-40 minutes.
- While the rhubarb cooks, in a large bowl combine the flour, brown sugar and butter. Using a pastry blender, mix all the ingredients together to form a grainy mixture like small stones.
- Mix in crushed corn flakes and nuts.
- Sprinkle over the rhubarb, and cook uncovered at 400 degrees until the top begins to brown (in my oven it was around 15 minutes but keep checking so it does not over brown or burn).
- Remove and allow to cool until almost room temperature which allows the crunchy topping to form.
Originally published: July 17, 2013
I have fresh rhubarb just waiting to be made into this delicious recipe!! Thanks so much for the tastiness!
Rhubarb is perfect dessert! Love the crunch topping!
Lyanna Soria says
I’ve never tried a rhubarb crunch before but that looks quite delicious! I’d love to try this someday.
I love rhubarb everything! My grandma used to make something like this when I was a kid, I will have to make this!
Toni Dash says
Love those Grandma recipes!
debra p says
This is beautiful and looks so delicious. I’m a big fan of rhubarb so must try this! Rhubarb has such a unique taste that I love.
Fatima Torres says
THis looks delicious! I didn’t know that trick to let it cool down to room temp for the crunch.
Gervin Khan says
Wow, this is so delicious and I am so excited to make this for everyone I am sure they will like it.
Lindsay Cotter says
Loved this so much! A total comfort dessert and just in time for rhubarb season!