Rhubarb season is short and this refreshing rhubarb vodka cocktail shouldn’t be missed! Quick and easy to make, the Rhubarb Pie cocktail will become a spring favorite!
Using seasonal ingredients in cocktails is always a win and there is no better example than this Rhubarb Pie cocktail.
Fresh rhubarb puree mixed with vodka and some fizz. It’s refreshing, not overly sweet and a perfect celebration of rhubarb.
If you are a rhubarb fan you’ll love Rhubarb Crisp and Rhubarb Fool too!
What Does this Rhubarb Cocktail Taste Like?
A perfect tart-sweet mix of spring’s favorite rhubarb, the Rhubarb Pie cocktail is a refreshing, light rhubarb vodka cocktail you’ll love.
It’s a quick and easy cocktail to make.
This vodka cocktail is made from sweetened rhubarb juice from homemade rhubarb puree, and vodka. It’s very simple.
The cocktail is light and refreshing, with the flavor of slightly sweetened rhubarb; lightly tart and tangy.
The cocktail glass is rimmed with sugar and a bit of cinnamon giving it extra sweetness but not too much!
How to Make this Rhubarb Vodka Cocktail
Fresh rhubarb is cooked briefly with sugar and a bit of water.
It breaks down into a puree which is strained to release the sweetened juice. It’s this juice that’s used to flavor the rhubarb vodka cocktail.
Use one ounce of the rhubarb puree with two ounces of vodka. Shake in a cocktail shaker with ice.
Strain over fresh ice and top off with club soda for a refreshing fizz.
The rhubarb vodka cocktail is very thirst quenching and a fun way to use fresh rhubarb during its short season.
How to Use the Rhubarb Pulp
The cocktail recipe is all about harvesting the sweetened juice for the cocktail and does not use the pulp.
You can use the pulp in Rhubarb Fool, eat it over yogurt (plain or strawberry), or ice cream. Fold it into muffin mix. It’s a shame to let it go to waste with rhubarb season being so short!
Make it a Rhubarb Pie Mocktail!
To make a version without vodka, follow the instructions to make the rhubarb puree and extract the juice. Pour 1-2 ounces of the juice into a glass filled with ice and top with sparkling water or club soda (stir too)!
- Kitchen Knife
- Cutting Board
- Medium Saucepan
- Small mixing bowl
- Silicon Spatula (for pushing the rhubarb pulp against the strainer to release the juice)
- Jigger(to measure out cocktail ingredients)
- Cocktail Shaker
The Origin of the Rhubarb Pie cocktail
Soon after I started Boulder Locavore, when I was in full discovery mode of local food producers, two girlfriends bought me a bottle of Altitude Spirits Vodka 14. It’s a locally made vodka and USDA certified organic.
It gave me a prompt to contact the company to learn more and they provided the original recipe for Rhubarb Pie cocktail.
The recipe has since been iterated but it remains a favorite refreshing spring cocktail.
More Rhubarb Recipes You’ll Love:
- Brined Boneless Pork Loin Roast with Rhubarb-Cherry Port Sauce
- Rhubarb Crunch
- Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- Rhubarb Grunt: A Classic Americana Rhubarb Dessert
Rhubarb Pie cocktail
For rhubarb puree and cocktail
- 12 ounces (weight) Rhubarb (about 5 stalks) chopped into small pieces
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 8 ounces Vodka
- Club Soda to top off
For Rimming the Glasses:
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar or more depending on the number of glasses being rimmed
- 1/16 teaspoon ground Cinnamon only a slight amount of cinnamon to dust the sugar is needed
Instructions for the Rhubarb puree:
- Place the rhubarb, water and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir periodically for 5-10 minutes until the rhubarb has broken down into a puree. NOTE: taste the puree and if desired more sugar may be added.
- Place a strainer or sieve over a bowl and pour rhubarb mixture into the strainer. With a spatula or pliable spoon, push the rhubarb through the strainer to release the juice.
- Allow strained juice to cool. NOTE: pulp is not used in the recipe but may be used for other recipes (see blog post).
Instructions to make the Cocktail:
- Pour 1/4 cup granulated sugar with a dusting of ground cinnamon in a small plate. Mix to combine. Rim cocktail glasses with the sugar mixture.
- Mix 1 ounce rhubarb puree with 2 ounces Vodka in a shaker with ice. Shake, strain over fresh ice in a lowball glass. Fill with club soda.
This recipe was originally shared in June 2011.
Such a fun spring cocktai! I made it for my friends over the weekend everyone loved it and the pink color was so good!
Gina Ceraso says
We couldn’t wait to make this because we love rhubarb! This was amazing and simple to make.
Holy moly this is a game changer! I never would have thought to make a drink like this but man am I glad I did! The perfect amount of sweet and tart!
Tayler Ross says
I absolutely love rhubarb, so I was excited to try this cocktail. It exceeded my expectation! So delicious and so refreshing!
I’m so intrigued by the rhubarb puree for this. It offers such a beautiful hue to the drink and is absolutely delicious. Perfect summertime cocktail.