Cheddar Bay Biscuits are packed with cheesy flavor in a soft biscuit topped with melted butter, parsley and a touch of garlic. This Red Lobster copycat recipe will be a hit at your dinner table every time!
Anyone who has dined at Red Lobster will have tried the Cheddar Bay Biscuits. I’d guess more than just once!
If you haven’t, or are perhaps gluten-free, you are in for a treat!
This Red Lobster biscuit recipe can be made in less than 30 minutes and changes dinner time to an event!
These fly off the baking sheet as soon as they come out of the oven and are brushed with melted butter at my house.
I think you’ll find the same!
What are Cheddar Bay Biscuits?
These are a special biscuit made by the Red Lobster seafood chain.
When the Red Lobster biscuits were originally introduced they were called ‘freshly baked hot cheese garlic bread’. Descriptive but not a very catchy name.
Five years later they were renamed Cheddar Bay Biscuits as a nod to the seaside ambiance of the restaurants.
These biscuits are a wonderful combination of a traditional biscuit laced with cheddar cheese and light garlic flavor.
What do These Red Lobster Biscuits Taste Like?
Hot out of the oven the Red Lobster biscuits are brushed with a garlic, parsley melted butter.
The biscuit texture is out of this world!
Baked to a golden crust with a soft, cheesy center.
The butter topping makes them seem to melt in your mouth.
The garlic is not overly strong but just right to make the biscuits very difficult to resist.
Ready in less than 30 minutes!
Fast to prepare too making them an easy side dish for dinner any night of the week.
- All Purpose Flour (regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend)
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Garlic powder
- Unsalted butter
- shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Milk or Half-and-Half
- dried Parsley
Make them Regular or Gluten-Free!
This recipe has been tested multiple times each with regular All Purpose Flour and gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend.
Whether you make this copycat Red Lobster biscuit recipe with regular OR gluten-free flour, they will be delicious!
Both work wonderfully to create rich, delicate biscuits.
How to Make Cheddar Bay Biscuits – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
STEP 2: In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (photo 1).
STEP 3: Add the cubed butter and mix in with a pastry blender (or 2 dining knives) (photo 2). It should look like coarse sand when mixed.
STEP 4: Stir in the cheese (photo 3).
STEP 5: Stir in the milk just until combined (photo 4). Do not overmix.
STEP 6: Using a large ice cream scoop or a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out the dough and place onto the prepared baking sheet (photo 5). Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown on top.
STEP 7: While the biscuits are baking prepare the butter topping (photo 6).
STEP 8: When the biscuits are done baking, remove from oven and brush with the butter topping. Allow to cool slightly on a cooling rack. Serve warm.
How to Store the Cheddar Biscuits
At Room Temperature
Store the biscuits in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
In the Refrigerator
Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
In the Freezer
Wrap each cooked, fully cooled biscuit separately in plastic wrap. Place all wrapped cheddar biscuits in a freezer plastic bag.
Store up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature and warm slightly before eating.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Devils on Horseback (appetizer recipe)
- Cornbread Recipe
- Shrimp Salad Recipe
- Lemon Rosemary Chicken Thighs with Vegetables (Sheet Pan recipe)
- Espresso Wacky Cake with Coffee Frosting
- Strawberry Cake
Copycat Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- 1 tablespoon Baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/3 cup Unsalted butter cubed at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Milk or Half-and-Half
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon dried Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and prepare a baking sheet by spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and garlic powder.
- Add the cubed butter and work it into the flour with a pastry blender.
- When the mixture resembles coarse sand, add the cheese and stir to combine.
- Pour in the milk and stir carefully until just combined, being careful not to overmix the dough.
- Use an ice cream scoop or ¼ cup to scoop out balls of dough.
- Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- While the biscuits are baking, prepare the butter topping by mixing together the melted butter, dried parsley, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Brush the butter over the baked biscuits before serving.