This Chickpea Salad recipe is a favorite for summer meals.
It has a Mediterranean salad vibe that’s wholesome and full of flavor.
It’s cool and refreshing with ingredients like cucumber, avocado and tomatoes.
Chilling it for an hour or two after making it allows the flavors to blend into a delicious salad.
It will take the edge of the hottest of days!
What are Chickpeas?
They are a ‘legume’ (the same family as beans and lentils). You’ll know them by they round shape and beige coloring.
Though there are varieties that come in different colors too.
Chickpeas are in many recipe the most well known is Hummus.
They can be roasted and eaten as a snack too!
Difference between a Chickpea and Garbanzo Bean?
Nothing! Well, the name.
Chickpeas and Garbanzo Beans are the same thing. They are just called by different names in different parts of the world.
What’s In this Salad?
Everything you see below!
How to Make Chickpea Salad – Step-by-Step
This recipe only has a few steps. It can be made in about 10 minutes.
STEP 1: Combine the avocado and lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss to coat. NOTE: this adds flavor but also helps keep the avocado from turning brown.
STEP 2: Add the remaining salad ingredients and mix together.
Though the salad can be eaten immediately chilling it for 1-2 hours before serving allows the flavors to combine for best results.
Are Chickpeas Healthy?
Loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber they are a great source of plant protein.
Garbanzo Beans are a wonderful protein option especially for vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Can I eat chickpeas straight from the can? Do I need to cook them?
Canned Chickpeas are precooked and can be added directly to the salad recipe.
There is no need to cook your chickpeas before adding them to the salad.
Do I have to rinse canned chickpeas?
Although you don’t technically have to rinse the chickpeas before adding them into the salad, I highly recommend it.
When you open the can of chickpeas, you will find that the liquid they are in is thick. The chickpeas are slightly coated from sitting in the liquid.
This doesn’t add a great texture to the salad. This film goes away once they’ve been rinsed.
Rinsing also washes away almost half of the sodium content in a can of chickpeas.
Dump the can straight into a colander and rinse the water over the top of it.
Shake off the excess water and add it to your salad.
Can I add in other Ingredients to this Garbanzo Bean Salad recipe?
There are many ways to change up this garbanzo salad!
Here are some ideas:
- Add any type of bell pepper (green, red, yellow, orange or purple).
- Black olives or kalamata olives make a great addition. Slice or halve them before adding to the salad. .
- Add mini mozzarella balls or sprinkle on feta cheese.
- Make it a complete meal by adding a lean protein like grilled chicken or shrimp.
- To make this a bigger salad, include green leafy lettuce, kale, or arugula.
How to Store Chickpea Salad
This salad is best when eaten fresh. Store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Do not freeze this salad.
Make it a Meal!
Buttermilk Peach Buckle
More Salad Recipe You’ll Love!
Chickpea Salad is a light, fresh, chilled salad bursting with colorful wholesome ingredients and great flavor! A perfect summer salad.
- 1 Avocado diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Lemon Juice about 1 lemon
- 1 15-ounce can Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup Red onion diced
- 2 cups Grape Tomatoes halved
- 2 cups Cucumbers diced (can be peeled or unpeeled as preferred)
- ½ cup fresh Cilantro or Italian Parsley chopped
- ¾ cup Yellow or Red Bell Pepper diced
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place diced avocado in a large bowl and squeeze lemon juice over the top of it. Gently stir together. NOTE: this adds flavor and helps keep it from turning brown (oxidizing).
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and toss to combine.
- Chill for 1-2 hours before serving or eat right away. Enjoy!