Rich, fudgy chocolate frosting with a tangy twist! Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is fast and easy to make and the perfect topping on brownies, cookies, cakes and more!
Frosting lovers take note: this easy icing recipe is one you’ll want in your recipe go-to’s!
Frosting can make even an ordinary dessert recipes extraordinary.
Recipes such as strawberry frosting, cinnamon frosting, coffee frosting and regular cream cheese frosting are fun. But a great chocolate frosting is a must.
This recipe is silky smooth and creamy. Try it on your favorite chocolate cupcakes!
An Easy Chocolate Frosting recipe
This rich frosting recipe is fast and easy to pull together. The ingredients are simple and the flavor true.
The tangy cream cheese heightens the chocolate for a delicious flavor.
Unlike a buttercream frosting that is thicker and stiffer, this cream cheese frosting is soft and pliable.
There is no butter or large amounts of powdered sugar in this frosting recipe.
That makes it makes it a perfect choice for frosting single layer cakes, brownies, cookies and more.
It would be a great choice for the filling between the layers of a multi layer cake.
It is probably too soft for the exterior frosting on a multi layer cake.
There are only four ingredients in this frosting!
All easy things to find: chocolate chips, cream cheese, powdered sugar and heavy cream!
Be sure to use block-style cream cheese NOT soft spreadable cream cheese.
The Star Ingredient
Melted chocolate gives the deep chocolate flavor.
Some recipes for this type of frosting include butter and cocoa powder.
We’ve kept it simple and chocolate flavor focused.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Combine the chocolate chips and cream in a microwave safe bowl (photos 1-2). Microwave for 30 seconds, stir then microwave for 15 minutes at a time until the chocolate has melted.
NOTE: the chocolate will appear lumpy (photo 3) until it’s totally stirred so be sure to stir well between microwaving.
STEP 2: Cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar using an electric mixer until smooth (photos 4-5).
STEP 3: Add the melted chocolate and mix until fully combines (photos 6-7). The mixture will be very soft.
STEP 4: Put the frosting in the refrigerator until it cools and thickens. Mix again to make fluffy before using (photo 8).
How much Frosting does the Recipe Make?
1 1/4 cups. Enough for:
- frosting an 8-inch by 8-inch cake (double it for a 9-inch by 13-inch cake)
- 12 cupcakes if piping the frosting(double it for 24 cupcakes); more if spreading the frosting on
- An filling between two cake layers (or two layers on a three layer cake)
How to Use it
Being a softer frosting it’s perfect for cake of cupcakes but that’s not all!
- the inner layers of a layer cake
- Snack Cakes
- Single layer sheet cake recipe (it will need to be doubled for a 9-inch by 13-inch cake)
- dessert bars
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Banana Cupcakes
PRO TIP: when piping it on cupcakes (versus spreading it), be sure the frosting is really chilled, beat to fluff and then add to the piping bag.
How to Store it
Store chilled in a sealed contain in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and use a mixer to whip it up before using.
More Dessert Recipes You’ll Love!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Mug Cake
- Chocolate Dipped Candy Canes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Banana Bread Cookies
- Strawberry Cake
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK , TWITTER , INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST !
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 8-ounce package Cream cheese softened
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and whipping cream. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and then continue cooking for 15 seconds at a time; mixing between each time.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted take the bowl out of the microwave, stir it together and set the bowl aside. NOTE: it might look lumpy before it's stirred then will become smooth.
- In a large bowl, cream together the powdered sugar and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in the melted chocolate mixture and mix until well combined. NOTE: The mixture will be very soft and runny. To thicken the frosting place the bowl of frosting in the refrigerator until it has reached the desired consistency (estimate: 15 minutes in the freezer or 20-320 minutes in the refrigerator).
- Remove from the fridge and beat with the mixer to fluff it up. It will be a fudgy consistency.
I am making this for icing for my daughters birthday cupcakes. Should I wait until the day of to frost them? Or can I do it the night before and if I do it the night prior do I need to keep the cupcakes in the fridge?
Toni Dash says
Hi Tracy. Any frosting with dairy ingredients needs to be refrigerated so if you you frost the cupcakes (or for storing leftovers) they should be stored in the refrigerator. I think cupcakes always look their best frosted the day of serving but if you frost the night before and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator they should be fine. Happy Birthday to your daughter!
Rene(e), she/her says
Thank you so much!! I am trying to watch my sugar but went searching online to see if somehow I could find a sugar free or low sugar chocolate cream cheese recipe and I landed on your link! Yessssss!!! 😀 SUPER simple, made even more so by the pictures, and I love the low amount of sugar, especially compared with the amount of cream cheese. I have made this twice already and the second time made 1 and 1/2 the recipe amount. Other commenters have mentioned eating it straight up with a spoon and I accidentally did that multiple times last night and even used a fork when the other spoons were in use 😛 Future makers of this, be careful, it is addictive 😛 #SorryNotSorry
Toni Dash says
Delighted it worked for you Rene(e)! Thanks so much for taking your time to leave your thoughts!