Coffee Lovers take note: Espresso Wacky Cake with Coffee Frosting is for YOU! Also called ‘Crazy Cake’ or Depression Cake, this clever cake doesn’t require any eggs, butter or dairy products either. But you’d never guess that from the moist, rich cake!
This coffee frosting is completely delicious! You’ll love Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting on this cake too.
What is Wacky Cake?
Known as Wacky cake, ‘Crazy Cake‘ or Depression Cake, this type of cake was developed after World War II when certain supplies were hard to find.
The cake does not need eggs, butter or dairy products to make a moist, flavorful cake.
It rises thanks to a chemical reaction between the baking soda and vinegar.
You’ll never taste the vinegar.
It’s a fun cake to make and perfect regular cake ingredients aren’t available. Also great for anyone dairy-free.
Wacky cake is usually made as a chocolate cake.
The addition of some hot coffee transforms this recipe to rich, mocha flavored cake.
Complete with an easy frosting hack for Coffee Frosting!
- All purpose flour (regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Granulated sugar
- Baking soda
- ground Cinnamon
- White vinegar
- Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Hot prepared coffee
Either regular All Purpose Flour OR gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend can be used for this recipe.
Using hot prepared coffee (or room temperature) really brings out a rich cocoa flavor.
It can be previously made coffee warmed in a microwave.
This frosting hack is fast and easy.
A prepared tub of either vanilla frosting or chocolate frosting with some espresso powder create a delicious coffee frosting!
If espresso powder is unavailable to you, instant coffee also may be used.
The flavor will be slightly different but still good.
Other Frosting Ideas
If you’d rather make homemade frosting here are some ideas:
Prepared Vanilla or Chocolate Frosting
Cream Cheese Butter Cream Frosting – use the frosting from the recipe in the link.
How to Make Espresso Wacky Cake – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch pan (square or round) with non-stick spray.
STEP 2: In a mixing bowl combine: flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon (photo 1 & 2).
STEP 3: Pour in the vinegar, oil, vanilla extract and hot coffee (photos 3-6). Blend just until combined (photo 7).
STEP 4: Pour the batter into the prepared pan (photo 8). Hit the bottom of the pan on the counter top a few times to release any air bubbles. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Preparing the Coffee Frosting
Ingredients (photo 9)
STEP 5: Combine espresso powder with 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl. Mix to dissolve the espresso.
STEP 6: Add the espresso liquid to the prepared frosting. Stir to completely combine (photo 10).
Frost the Espresso Wacky Cake when fully cooled.
How to Store
In the Refrigerator
Store tightly sealed for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
More Cake Recipes You’ll Love!
- Italian Cream Cake
- The Best Hummingbird Cake
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Strawberry Cake
- Lemon Pound Cake with Blueberry Swirl
- Gingerbread Cake with Butter Rum Toffee Sauce
Espresso Depression Cake
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon White Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup hot Coffee
- 1 16-ounce container prepared Vanilla or Chocolate Frosting
- 2 teaspoon Instant Espresso Powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch pan (square or round) with non stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Pour in the vinegar, vanilla, oil and hot coffee and mix until well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a small bowl mix together the espresso powder and 2 teaspoons water.
- Scoop the canned frosting into a mixing bowl, pour the espresso mixture into the frosting and mix with beaters until the espresso is well combined. Frost the cooled cake, cut and enjoy!