Strawberry Cake is a relaxed one layer cake full of fresh strawberries. Topped with Buttercream Cream Cheese frosting!
When fresh strawberries are in season there is no better way to enjoy them than in Strawberry Cake.
This simple one-layer cake is an easy recipe full of fresh strawberries, lightly sweet, moist and a satisfying dense texture.
What is Strawberry Cake?
Strawberry Cake can vary from recipe to recipe. This strawberry cake recipe is one cake layer making is a relaxed dessert.
This cake has one and a half cups fresh strawberries for a natural strawberry flavor.
This strawberry cake has a slightly denser consistency rather than a light, fluffy cake making it satisfyingly filling.
Strawberry Cake Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour (regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend)
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulate Sugar
- Fresh Strawberries
Pro Tip: How to Sweeten Fresh Strawberries
In the summer fresh strawberries are at their peak season.
This means most strawberries are fresh, ripe and deeply naturally sweet.
Sometimes strawberries look great but either don’t have much flavor or aren’t very sweet.
If you find yourself with unsweet strawberries you can ‘mascerate‘ them to improve their sweetness.
Mascerating berries is a process of adding just a bit of sugar and allowing that to release some of the strawberries own natural juice and absorb the sugar as well.
How to Mascerate Strawberries for Strawberry Cake
This is only needed if the strawberries you choose are not very sweet!
- Put the diced strawberries in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and stir to full combine.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Add to the strawberry cake recipe as indicated in the recipe (along with any released juices).
Buttercream Cream Cheese Frosting
This strawberry cake is light in flavor. Topping it with Buttercream Cream Cheese frosting is adds a creamy sweet tang for a perfect dessert.
This frosting combines the best of a creamy buttercream frosting with a cream cheese frosting!
- Unsalted Butter
- Cream Cheese
- Confectioner’s (powdered) Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Heavy Cream
More Frosting Options
This light flavored cake is versatile in how it’s topped. Buttercream Cream Cheese Frosting is delicious but it’s not the only way to top the cake!
- Sift powdered sugar on the top of the strawberry cake. Serve it with fresh strawberries too.
- Serve with homemade or store-bought whipped cream
- Strawberry Whipped Cream adds in fresh easy strawberry puree for a light frosting option
- Strawberry lovers will love Real Strawberry Buttercream Frosting made with fresh strawberries
How to Make it Gluten-Free
We’ve made this strawberry cake recipe with all-purpose (gluten) flour and gluten-free measure-for-measure flour. It’s delicious both ways.
Gluten-Free Flour Recommendation
Using measure-for-measure gluten-free flour blends is the easiest way to get a great baking result. It’s also easy since the flour blending is taken care of.
I prefer Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
My recommendation is NOT to select a blend with garfava flour for baked goods.
Though it has good binding properties, it has a very beany flavor not well-matched with baked desserts.
Pro Tip: How to Prepare a Cake Pan
Preparing a cake pan for easy release after the cake is baked is a key for success.
Though greasing and flouring the pan may work fine, I have a preferred method that always guarantees smooth release.
Lining a Cake Pan with Parchment Paper
- Cut a piece of parchment paper larger than the size of the cake pan.
- Place the cake pan on the parchment paper and trace around the bottom with a pencil onto the parchment paper.
- Cut out the parchment circle.
- Grease (I usually use butter) or spray the bottom of the pan with non-stick spray.
- Place the parchment circle inside the pan and press it to the prepared bottom.
- Spray the parchment and the sides of the pan with non-stick spray.
- Add a small amount of flour to the pan, rotate the pan, to cover with a light layer of flour; tapping the pan to release any excess flour (discard excess).
After the cake is baked, it will come out easily and the parchment paper peels off the cake with ease too.
How to Make Strawberry Cake – Step by Step
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
STEP 2: In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
STEP 3: In the bowl a mixer cream together butter and sugar until smooth (photo 1).
STEP 4: Add eggs, one by one, and beat until fully mixed in (photo 2).
STEP 5: With the mixer running on low, alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk until fully combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
STEP 6: Fold in diced strawberries to the batter (photo 4).
STEP 7: Spoon batter into the prepared pan and evenly distribute. NOTE: the batter will be thick.
STEP 8: Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
STEP 9: Cool in pan for 5 minutes then on a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Buttercream Cream Cheese Frosting
To make the frosting:
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy cream; beat until smooth.
- Frost cooled cake with cream cheese frosting and garnish with fresh strawberries if desired.
Using Frozen Thawed Strawberries
Sometimes finding good fresh strawberries isn’t possible. Frozen thawed strawberries can be substituted.
Toss in a small amount of flour before adding to the batter so they do not stick together.
If you’d rather makes cupcakes:
- Line a muffin pan with baking liners for 12 cupcakes
- Prepare the batter as described.
- Fill the muffin tins 2/3’s full of batter
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool before frosting.
Without frosting the cake batter makes a delicious muffin batter.
Follow the instructions for cupcakes above. Do not frost.
Throw in a 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips for a special treat!
More Strawberry Dessert Recipes
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Buttermilk Strawberry Shortcake
- 3 Ingredient No Bake Strawberry ‘Tart’
- Strawberry Lemon Custard Trifles
Strawberry Cake is an easy one layer cake full of fresh strawberries, perfect for a taste of summer.
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (regular or measure-for-measure Gluten-Free Flour blend)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 10 tablespoons Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- ¾ cup Milk (whole, 2 % or non-fat all work)
- 1 ½ cups Strawberries chopped, plus more for garnish
Buttercream Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Confectioner's (powdered) Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Heavy Cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan. See notes for my preferred cake pan prep.
In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl or bowl of a standing mixer cream together butter and sugar until smooth.
Add eggs, one at a time, and beat just until incorporated.
With the mixer running on low, alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk gradually, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix only until just combined; do not overmix.
Fold diced strawberries into the batter.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and baking for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. NOTE: Cool completely before frosting.
Buttercream Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy cream; beat until smooth.
Frost cooled cake with frosting and garnish with whole or halved strawberries.
Substituting Frozen/Thawed Strawberries
Frozen, thawed strawberries can be substituted. Toss them in a little bit of flour before adding them to the batter (this helps them not stick together).
Prepare the batter as described. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Fill 2/3's full. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Frost after they are fully cooled. Approximate yeild: 12 cupcakes.
This batter is not overly sweet and could be used to make muffins too. Prepare the mix as directed and baking instructions above for cupcakes. Do not frost.