Overnight French Toast Casserole is an easy make-ahead breakfast recipe perfect for easy weekend mornings or to feed a crowd.
Warmer weather makes it easy to pop things on the grill without much effort. It saves lots of prep time and clean-up for lunch and dinner.
Breakfast should be just as easy shouldn’t it?
What could start a day better than overnight French toast in a make ahead breakfast casserole?!
This Overnight French Toast Breakfast Casserole is dressed in red, white and blue perfect for summer holidays too.
An Easy Breakfast Recipe
This family favorite recipe is perfect when hosting a houseful. Or to have a Sunday brunch feel without the slaving to make it happen.
A make-ahead breakfast casserole is the ticket, especially when it can be made the night before.
I originally shared a holiday version of this eggnog (Overnight Strawberry-Eggnog French Toast Breakfast Casserole).
It makes breakfast festive and delicious with a special holiday flavor signature of eggnog. Perfect for Christmas morning!
Mouthwatering ingredients like strawberry preserves, cream cheese and fresh berries will make this a new favorite!
A Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
There are many things that make this overnight French toast casserole a perfect choice any day of the year!
The combination of the baguette, strawberry preserves, Neufchatel (light cream cheese) and an egg-milk mixture does not become soggy overnight.
Instead, it bakes up with a crunchy, toasted bread top covering a bread pudding underneath.
Candidly my family is happy to nosh on this for any meal of snack when I make it.
The flavors are irresistible, homey and comforting.
The custardy texture of the bottom layer makes for a comfort food breakfast recipe you’ll love.
Easily made either with gluten or gluten-free bread.
Overnight French Toast Casserole Ingredients
The ingredients in this make ahead breakfast casserole are creamy, fresh and delicious!
- Strawberry Preserves
- French bread baguette
- Neufchatel Cheese or lower fat Cream Cheese
- large Eggs
- Half and Half
- Vanilla Extract
- Light Brown Sugar
- Fresh Raspberries
- Fresh Blueberries
Frozen, thawed berries may be substituted!
A Good Baguette Is Key for a great Overnight French Toast Casserole
The texture of a baguette as opposed to regular bread is the secret to this delicious recipe!
Using a baguette allows soaking overnight and maintaining its structure (though the bottom layer softens when baking in an appealing way). The top crisps perfectly.
Traditional bread would not provide the same result!
The fantastic result is due to the texture of the outside layer of the baguette. It has a firmer testure and covers more surface area of the bread.
How to Make Overnight French Toast Casserole – Step by Step:
This make ahead breakfast casserole could not be easier. Just 15 minutes is all it takes to put this overnight french toast together!
- Butter a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan.
- Briefly microwave the Strawberry preserves to achieve a consistency that can be drizzled.
- Add half of the cubed baguette in a single layer to the prepared 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish.
- Spread the cubed Neufchatel or lower fat cream cheese evenly over the bread.
- Evenly drizzle the preserves over the bread cubes. Add the remaining bread is spread on top.
- Whisk together the eggs, spices and half and half and pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the bread.
- Evenly distribute the berries and brown sugar over the top.
- Seal the casserole and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Bake the casserole for 20 minutes covered and an additional 10-15 uncovered.
- After cooling for a few minutes the Overnight French Toast Casserole is served with warm syrup!
Lightly dust with powdered sugar if desired.
More Easy Crowd-Pleasing Breakfast Recipe:
- Christmas Breakfast Enchilada Casserole: an Easy Breakfast Casserole All Year Round!
- Overnight Gluten-Free English Muffin Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight Lemon Muffin Breakfast Trifles
- Raspberry Mocha French Vanilla Overnight Oats
- Golden Oven-Baked Pancake Topped with Sauteed Peaches
- Pumpkin French Toast Casserole with Praline Sauce
- Baked French Toast with Croissants