How to Make Shredded Chicken is a staple recipe to use in so many ways. This shredded chicken recipe is easy, fast, less expensive to make yourself with fantastic flavor and a fun mess-free shredding trick!
Sometimes it is the most simple of recipes that become the most useful and loved.
A great example is this Moist Homemade Shredded Chicken Breast recipe.
It’s simple and something used in many recipes AND is much better homemade.
- Why Make this Shredded Chicken Recipe
- How to make Shredded Chicken Breast
- Making Homemade Shredded Chicken Recipe – Step by Step
- Shredding Tips
- How to Use Shredded Chicken
- How to Store Shredded Chicken Breast
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Best Chicken Breast Cooking Recipe too!
- EQUIPMENT USED in this Homemade Shredded Chicken Recipe
- More Recipes You’ll Love
Why Make this Shredded Chicken Recipe
After making this easy, moist Homemade Shredded Chicken Breast recipe, you’ll never be tempted to buy shredded chicken again!
- It’s done in 20 minutes from cooking through shredding, with fantastic flavor.
- A special trick makes shredding fast and mess-free!
In the past when I needed shredded chicken for a recipe I would go to my local market and pick up a moist, succulent rotisserie chicken they crank out a few times a day.
Once home I’d pull off some of the breast meat and using two forks would shred the meat by hand.
This was convenient and I did rarely had time to make a chicken myself.
That is, until one day when I had little time to make a recipe using shredded chicken breast, and there weren’t any rotisserie chickens at the store.
I was out of luck!
Instead I bought some boneless, skinless chicken breasts, already having a fabulous way to cook them quickly without losing any moisture (you can see an example in this Tarragon Pesto Chicken Breast with Dressed Greens recipe).
With a few tweaks I found a great way to make homemade shredded chicken breast, keeping the meat more flavorful as with roast chicken, rather than the flavor of stewed chicken which is another way to make shredded chicken.
How to make Shredded Chicken Breast
The process is super simple and it’s done in less than 20 minutes!
The best part? It’s shredded in a mixer; no forks required.
There are some tips for using the mixer shared below and you can watch the video too.
Making Homemade Shredded Chicken Recipe – Step by Step
Making this homemade shredded chicken recipe is so easy and makes the best shredded chicken ever!
Please refer to the printable recipe card below for recipe specifics.
STEP 1: In a large skillet with a lid, preferably non-stick, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
STEP 2: Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and them to the pan to brown for 4 minutes.
STEP 3: Flip over and brown for another 4 minutes.
STEP 4: Add the chicken broth, reduce to medium-low, put the lid on the skillet and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes.
NOTE: Chicken should register 160-165 degrees (it will continue to cook when removed from heat).
STEP 5: Remove the chicken from the skillet and allow it to rest for 3 minutes.
STEP 6: Place the chicken in the bowl of a standing mixer. Turn the mixer on the lowest setting, or 1, and mix until the chicken is shredded to the desired texture.
The chicken must be warm to shred well however allowing it to rest a few minutes creates the best texture without becoming stringy and dry.
Do not run the mixer over the lowest setting and be sure to stop the mixer as soon as the desired texture is reached.
TIP for Making Different Sizes of Shredded Chicken Breast
Making shredded chicken in different sizes is easy by controlling the length of time the mixer runs.
For large pieces, run the mix only briefly. For finely shredded chicken breast, run it longer.
Approximate times: 20-30 seconds for larger pieces; 45-60 seconds for the fine shredding shown in the photos.
Watching the shredding and stopping the mixer when it’s done is the way to go.
How to Use Shredded Chicken
Homemade shredded chicken breast meat can be used for many recipes. Here are just a few ideas:
- Mexican dishes including tacos and enchiladas
- Green Chile Chicken Totchos
- Muffin Tin Mexican Bowls
How to Store Shredded Chicken Breast
Store homemade shredded chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store in freezer bag or freezer container and freeze for future recipes.
The Best Chicken Breast Cooking Recipe too!
Though this recipe is geared toward how to make fantastic homemade shredded chicken breast, the method to cook the chicken is also a winner.
It is the way I always cook boneless skinless chicken breasts for recipes like Pink Peppercorn Sherry Cream Chicken.
Chicken breasts are a lean cut of meat especially when cooked boneless and skinless.
This cooking method makes moist chicken breasts every time with great flavor and it’s SO easy!
Once you make chicken breasts this way you’ll never want them any other way!
EQUIPMENT USED in this Homemade Shredded Chicken Recipe
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: The Best Method Ever!
- Chicken Enchilada recipe
- How to Make Simple Syrup: 8 Recipes and Suggested Uses
- Quiche Lorraine: A Classic Cheesy Bacon Quiche
- Jambalaya: Quick & Easy Comfort Food
There are various brands that make both of these items in multiple price points.
Moist Homemade Shredded Chicken Breast
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 1/4 pounds Boneless , Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoons Black Pepper , preferably freshly ground
- 3/4 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with the salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet with a lid, preferably non-stick, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and brown for 4 minutes.
- Flip over and brown for another 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, reduce to medium-low, put the lid on the skillet and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes. NOTE: Chicken should register 160-165 degrees (it will continue to cook when removed from heat).
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and allow it to rest for 3 minutes.
- Place the chicken in the bowl of a standing mixer. Turn the mixer on the lowest setting, or 1, and mix until the chicken is shredded to the desired texture (20-30 seconds for larger pieces; 45-60 seconds for the fine shredding shown in the photos).
Published originally: February 21, 2016
this is such an incredible way to get juicy, shredded chicken! I love how fast and easy it is, too. tonight I decided to throw the shredded chicken back in the pan with the chicken broth. Oh my! It made it 10 times more juicy, which is saying something!!
Pat Karels says
This was fast easy and flavorful. Loved the mixer idea.
This was a great way to ensure shredded chicken breast juiciness! I used two forks. Thank you!
Great way to make shredded chicken! Thanks for the tutorial.
I was so excited to try this recipe and it made my homemade Shredded Chicken so moist. Thanks!:)
Deb Leonard says
Question: Can this be made using a hand mixer instead of a stand mixer?
Toni Dash says
Yes that should work. Just monitor closely so it doesn’t over shred the chicken.