Muffin Tin Mexican Bowls are a great weeknight dinner with shredded chicken, refried beans, salsa and cheese, topped with fresh taco toppings. Perfect for single portions or party appetizers!
I can’t think of a food I love more than Mexican food. I have distinct memories of tasting it for the first time when I was a child and feeling I’d stumbled into a wonderland of exotic smells, spicy flavors and the comfort food of my dreams. That has stayed with me and is my go to for dinner often!
When I became gluten-free, traditional Mexican cuisine was not off the table with the exception of anything using a flour tortilla and some sauces which use wheat. I’m happy to bob and weave around that, loving the food so much and being willing to find any way I can enjoy it safely.
Recently I’ve been enjoying experimenting with Gluten-Free Tortillas which are not wheat but the gluten-free equivalent of a wheat tortilla in texture. I shared a mouthwatering Mexican Breakfast Chicken Tortilla Casserole recipe last month which used them and I still find myself dreaming of a steaming slice of it on chilly days (or, any day really).
Single Serving Mexican Bowls
Today I had fun creating Muffin Tin Mexican Bowls; perfect single portion tortilla bowls filled with tasty refried beans, shredded chicken, salsa and cheese.
They are crowned with usual taco toppings of crispy shredded lettuce, finely diced tomatoes, more cheese, a bit of red cabbage for color and crunch (optional), a jalapeno slice and a lime wedge to drizzle on the tiny bowl.
You could add a dollop of sour cream too!
You control the heat level with the salsa you use in the filling mixture.
I personally love salsa with chipotle, loving the sultry, smoky heat and used a mild heat option. Selecting refried beans with some seasonings in them too builds on the flavor.
Despite being diminutive, these Mexican bowls are filling.
One or two as a main portion with some sides would be great for a meal.
They would be perfect additions to a brunch buffet or football party too.
They are quick to make and cook. I love their colorful appearance and great flavor!
How to Make Muffin Tin Mexican Bowls:
To make this delicious Mexican dinner, you will need at least one 6-cup muffin tin.
Muffin Tin Mexican Bowls
- 12 soft flour Tortillas (regular or gluten-free)
- 1 ½ cups finely shredded Chicken
- 1 cup Refried Beans (seasoned if available)
- ½ cup Chunky Salsa
- ½ cup finely grated Mexican Blend cheese (available prepared in the dairy section)
- 1 medium ripe Tomato , diced
- ¾-1 cup Lettuce (Iceberg or Romaine hearts), thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeno Chile Pepper , seeded and sliced
- ¼ cup Red Cabbage , thinly sliced (optional)
- Extra grated Cheese
- 2 Limes , sliced vertically into 6 wedges each
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12 muffin tin (or two 6 muffin tins) by spraying with non-stick spray.
- Cut each tortilla to be 4-inches in diameter with a round cookie cutter or the rim of a large glass. Wrap a cut tortilla in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 15 seconds. Place the tortilla in one of the prepared muffin cups and gently push down to line the muffin cup. The tortilla will overlap on the sides (refer to photo). Repeat to line all the muffin cups.
- In a medium-size microwave safe mixing bowl warm the refried beans for 20 seconds until they are soft and stir into a smooth consistency (they do not need to cook just become workable). Add the chicken, salsa and cheese and stir to fully incorporate.
- Evenly divide the mixture spooning it into the lined muffin cups. Place in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes until the edges of the tortillas begin to turn golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Gently remove the mini Mexican bowls from the muffin tins and top with some lettuce, cheese, tomato, cabbage (if used; mainly for color and crunch) and serve each with a lime wedge for squeezing on the mini Mexican bowl.