Chicken Adobo is a favorite tangy, salty, sweet Fillipino recipe because it’s easy and delicious! We’ve made it even easier with the slow cooker. Only a few minutes to set it up and favorite comfort food is ready in 4 effortless hours.
Slow cooker recipes are a cool weather staple.
They are easy to pull together and the crock pot cooking builds delicious flavor!
Chicken Adobo is a soul-warming recipe with salty, sweet and tangy flavors that’s perfect any time.
We’ve taken a classic international stove top recipe and made it in the slow cooker instead.
For more chicken recipes with international flair try Tuscan Chicken, Cashew Chicken, Korean BBQ Chicken or Vietnamese Noodle Bowl with Lemongrass Chicken!
An Authentic Filipino recipe
Before making this recipe I did alot of research. I wanted to so justice to what is a treasured national dish of the Philippines.
To my good fortune a local friend in the Philippines. She helped guide the accuracy of the recipe as well as giving insight and pro tips!
What is Fillipino Chicken Adobo?
Chicken Adobo is a tangy-salty dish made with just a handful of ingredients.
It’s budget-friendly, cooks quickly when made on the stove top and only uses a handful of ingredients.
It’s a flexible recipe to use ingredients you have on hand.
A rule of thumb is to add more soy sauce than vinegar to the marinade.
It’s a slighty salty dish thanks to the soy sauce. But there are tricks we’ve used to lessen this.
Pro Tip: if it’s too salty add some potatoes to absorb some of the sauce.
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
Boneless skinless Chicken Thighs – chicken thighs have more flavor and will stay moist when cooking. Chicken breasts can also be used though have a tendency to dry out.
Soy Sauce – regular or gluten-free soy sauce can be used. Do not use dark soy sauce!
Distilled White Vinegar – When made traditionally any type of vinegar may be used. We like the distinct tang of distilled white vinegar. Apple cider vinegar or cane vinegar can also be used. In the traditional version Calamansi, a type of lime may be used instead of vinegar for the acidity.
Whole Black Peppercorn – these are used in pepper grinders to make black pepper. They can be purchased with spices in any store and are used whole in the recipe.
Brown Sugar – The traditional version does not include sugar. Sugar is added to offset the saltiness of the soy sauce NOT to make it a sweet dish. Adding sugar is a matter of personal preference. We include brown sugar for the wonderful addition of flavor. Brown sugar is suggested if using sugar.
Coconut Aminos can be substituted for the soy sauce. Because it is sweet, no additional sugar is needed if using it.
Like many regional recipes, this recipe can be changed up to meet your needs. Add an onion or carrots for a heartier dish.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
Marinating the chicken isn’t necessary since it cooks in the slow cooker. The chicken pieces will absorb the sauce while cooking.
STEP 1: Place the chicken thighs in the slow cooker.
STEP 2: Combine the sauce ingredients: soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar. Whisk together to dissolve the sugar. Pour into the slow cooker.
Sprinkle on the garlic, peppercorns and add the bay leaves.
STEP 3: Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours. Serve on hot rice with some of the cooking sauce.
How to Thicken the Sauce (optional)
Drizzling the cooking juices over the chicken is delicious. Rather have a thicker sauce? That’s easy too.
When the chicken is cooked, combine the cooking liquid and a cornstarch slurry in a saucepan on the stove top.
As it heats it will thicken.
Instructions included in the printable recipe card below.
How to Serve it
Serve over hot rice drizzled with some of the cooking juices..
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Add some of the cooking juiced in with the adobo chicken too. It will keep the chicken moist and is great for drizzling over rice.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love!
- Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe
- Slow Cooker Ranch Potatoes
- Caribbean Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Louisiana Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
Try these Recipes too!
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
- Peanut-Encrusted Asian Pork Tenderloin
- Pumpkin Chipotle Cream Sauce for Pasta
- Instant Pot Mashed Chipotle Sweet Potatoes
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK , TWITTER , INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST !
Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs
- 3/4 cup Soy Sauce (regular or gluten-free) do not use Dark Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Distilled White Vinegar
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
- 8 large Garlic Cloves rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar optional
To thicken the sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Water
- Place the chicken thighs evenly in the slow cooker.
- Combine the soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar if using. Stir to mix and dissolve the sugar. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle in the peppercorns and garlic. Stir to distribute.
- Add Bay leaves.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
To thicken the sauce (optional)
- Create a slurry by combining the tablespoon of cornstarch with the tablespoon of water. Stir to fully mix.
- Strain the cooking liquids into a saucepan. Add the cornstarch slurry.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Stirring periodically simmer until the sauce has thickened. Spoon over the chicken and rice.
- Serve with rice.
So tasty! Couldn’t get enough of this!
The best chicken around! So flavorful and tender!
So simple & absolutely perfect!