If you love a fall flavors of apple, cinnamon and nutmeg and want a quick and easy dessert recipe, this Apple Dump Cake recipe is for you! This layered dessert is fast to put together and bakes into a homey relaxed comfort food treat.
Despite its less than flattering name, people love Dump Cakes! You’ll never make an easier dessert recipe.
This recipe uses some prepared ingredients that make assembling it even faster.
It’s a great recipe for an easy fall dessert.
It can be made regular or gluten-free depending on ingredients used.
What is a Dump Cake?
Just as it sounds all the ingredients are dumped in together when making a Dump Cake.
It’s a one pan dessert that’s a very easy recipe to make.
This version uses apple pie filling and a box dry cake mix as key ingredients. It’s a perfect option to dump, bake and enjoy!
This is a sweet, relaxed dessert that you can make in a flash.
Easy Apple Crisp with Cake Mix
With an apple pie filling on the bottom, cake mix on top and melted butter on top of that.
The end result is a warm cinnamon-y apple layer topped with a cobbler like cake layer.
This version adds sweetened rolled oats for a crisp homey topping.
It’s a scoopable dessert so does not get sliced to serve.
A warm scoop with some vanilla ice cream and caramel topping is heaven.
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
Apple Pie Filling. The recipe uses two cans of apple pie filling. Any brand will work as long as the cans are 21-ounce cans. If you have a favorite from scratch apple pie filling that can be substituted too.
Yellow Cake Mix. Use a 15-ounce cake mix. Either regular or gluten-free cake mix can be used (we’ve tested it with both). You can also substitute spice cake mix (omit the added spices if doing so).
Spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. This trio of favorite fall spices bring apple pie flavor to the dump cake.
Unsalted Butter. Melted butter is poured on top of the cake mix. As the Dump Cake cooks the moisture from the butter above and pie filling below saturate the cake mix to make a delicious cakey top layer.
Rolled Oats. Use ‘Old Fashioned’ (rolled) oats for the topping versus instant oats. It makes a delicious crust when combined with the brown sugar.
Light Brown Sugar. Just a bit is tossed with the oats before adding to the topping.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
STEP 2. Prepare the Cake Layer.
Add the cake mix to a large bowl. Add the spices and whisk together (photo 1).
STEP 3. Assembling the Apple Dump Cake.
Spoon the apple pie filling into the prepared pan in an even layer (photo 2).
Sprinkle the cake mix mixture evenly on the apple pie filling to cover (photo 3).
Top with butter over the cake mix to cover (photo 4). NOTE: be sure to cover the cake mix fully with the melted butter.
Mix the rolled oats and brown sugar together (photo 5) and spread evenly on the top of the cake (photo 6).
STEP 3. Baking the Dump Cake recipe.
Bake for 50-55 minutes until the top is golden brown and the apple filling is bubbling (photo 7).
Allow to cool 15 minutes before scooping to serve.
Make even layers for even cooking results. Spread the apple pie filling in an even layer. Evenly spread the cake mix to cover the pie filling.
Ensure the butter covers the cake mix and the topping is evenly distrubted.
Spreading the Butter layer is key. I usually pour the butter on and move it over exposed cake mix with a spatula.
If not some of the cake mix powder can not cook properly (it will still be dry). If this happens mix it with some of the filling to saturate it before serving.
How to Serve it
After it cools slightly scoop servings onto a dessert plate or bowl. Drizzle with caramel syrup if desired and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
The dessert can be left at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
For longer storage place plastic wrap over the top (or move to a sealed container) and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezing not recommended.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Baked Apples recipe
- Homemade Apple Cider
- Peach Upside Down Cake
- Slow Cooker Spiced Apple Cider with Pumpkin
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
Apple Crisp Dump Cake
- 1 15-ounce box Yellow cake mix regular or gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Allspice
- 2 21-ounce cans Apple pie filling
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats use Old Fashioned oats, not instant oats
- 2 tablespoons Light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake mix, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Set aside.
- Pour both cans of apple pie filling into the baking dish. Spread to an even thickness.
- Sprinkle the cake mix mixture over the top of the apples in an even layer.
- Spread the melted butter over the cake mix. NOTE: be sure to cover the entire mix or there will be dry mix after baking.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle the oats over the top of the cake mix and butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the apples are bubbling.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!