Peach Upside Down Cake is a summer ‘must make’ recipe. Fresh, sweet peaches swirl across the top of this lightly sweet single layer cake for a showstopping dessert. Step by Step instructions make it easy for anyone!
This pretty, fresh peach cake is a true celebration of summer.
Beautifully sliced white (shown here) or yellow peaches, caramelized in brown sugar and butter top a soft lightly sweet regular and almond flour cake.
It’s fun to make and always a family favorite recipe!
What’s an Upside Down Cake?
If you’ve never made an Upside Down Cake you’ll love this recipe!
And if you have adding this peach cake to your collection will be a treat.
This type of cake layers fruit and usually brown sugar and butter on the bottom of the cake pan.
The cake batter is added on top. When baked and turned out to serve, the fruit stays on top of the cake making a wonderful pattern.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is the most well known but I’ve made it with pear, rhubarb and plum too.
They have a beautiful presentation but are delicious too.
This peach cake uses all the regular baking ingredients you’d expect: flour, salt, baking powder, sugar (brown and granulated), butter, eggs, vanilla extract and milk.
What Peaches to Use
Either yellow or white peaches can be used. Select firm but ripe peaches.
They do NOT need to be peeled for this cake recipe. Rinse the peaches well especially if they are not organic.
If you’d rather peel the peaches I have a really easy method in this Peach Crumble recipe.
White peaches are shown in this recipe but either type works great. Yellow peaches tend to have a stronger peach flavor.
All Purpose Flour
Regular All Purpose Flour or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour may be used for this recipe.
Almond Meal or Flour
In addition to regular flour, almond flour is used in this recipe.
It adds a natural sweetness and a nice texture to the cake.
How to Make Peach Upside Down Cake – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP 2: Add 3 tablespoons unsalted butter to a 9-inch round 2-inch deep cake pan (photo 1). Put it in the oven to melt (aproximately 3 minutes) (photo 2). Do not brown the butter!
STEP 3: Add the brown sugar and water to the pan (photo 3) and whisk to mix and dissolve the brown sugar (photo 4).
STEP 4: Layer the sliced peach slightly overlapping on each other (photo 5).
STEP 5: In a large bowl combine the all purpose flour, almond meal/flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon (photo 6). Whisk to combine (photo 7).
STEP 6: Using a mixer cream the softened butter (photo 8). Add the granulated sugar and cream together (photo 9). Add the milk, eggs and vanilla; mix together. DO NOT OVERMIX.
STEP 7: Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix together until fully combined (photo 10).
STEP 8: Spoon the batter over the peaches (photo 11) to cover evenly (photo 12).
STEP 9: Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes (photo 13). NOTE: it should not cool longer or it may stick to the pan.
STEP 10: Run a knife around the edge of the cake (photo 14). Place a serving plate face down on top of the cake pan (photo 15). Gently turn the cake over onto the serving plate (photo 16).
Let the cake cool 30 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
How to Store it
Store tightly sealed in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Recipes you’ll Love!
Peach Upside Down Cake
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 2-3 medium-large Peaches rinsed well, pitted and sliced into 1/8-1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour (regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend)
- 1/4 cup Almond meal or Almond Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter softened
- 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup Whole Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter into a 9 inch by 2 inch round layer cake pan and place in the oven to melt, approximately 3 minutes. Do not let butter brown.
- Remove pan from oven. Add brown sugar and water; whisk until sugar is dissolved and butter is incorporated.
- Layer pear slices overlapped each other, with the larger end of the pear toward the outside of the pan (refer to photos). Form a circular pattern allowing the pears to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl of a free standing mixer, whisk together the flour, almond meal/flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer (or using a handheld mixer) cream the butter. Add the sugar and cream together. Add milk, eggs and vanilla and mix together (do not over mix).
- Spoon in dry ingredients and beat until fully combined. Spoon batter evenly on top of pears in the cake pan. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes when toothpick should come out clean and the cake should begin to brown.
Releasing the Cake
- Allow cake to cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the inside edge of the cake pan to free up cake.
- Place the serving plate upside down on the top of the cake pan, carefully turn the plate and cake over so the cake comes out onto the serving tray revealing the peach top. Be careful as the cake pan will still be hot. NOTE: if allowed to over cool in the pan the cake will not release fully. Allow to cool for 30 additional minutes; serve warm.
This is so good!! My kids couldn’t stop eating! So yummy!