Homemade Lemon-Infused Vodka

I love making infusions.  I really love any project I can do myself, approaching them with a bit of HGTV spirit and the staunch determination that where there is a will there IS a way, especially when it comes to innovating cocktails.  Anytime I experiment with a successful end result I am very satisfied, I suppose feeling somewhere deep down were I ever shipwrecked on a deserted island, given any vessel, fermented liquid and pretty much anything with flavor, I could be making my own cocktails in a week or so.

Spring has sprung.  The clocks have moved forward and we actually are enjoying the light and temperatures of a ‘normal people’s spring’ we rarely experience in the Rocky Mountain West.  We scoff at Easter dress ads on TV with sleeveless females frolicking outdoors with nary a goose bump.  Sloppy wet snow generally defines our spring, though this week we’ve had temps in the 60’s for three days running, promising to hit 70 by mid week.

Our recent meteorological turn unfolds a perfect backdrop for my latest, and what I feel in hindsight, my most obvious infusion.  Of all flavored vodka that I buy Lemon Infused Vodka is the most frequently replaced.  It seems to fit with anything and there truly is no brighter nor more refreshing cocktail than a simple Lemon-infused Vodka Tonic.  As I spent my winter infusing exotic things such as Goji Berry Vodka and Ginger-Infused Vodka it dawned on me I was ignoring what was right in front of me; infusing Vodka with Lemon.  I now have and will be making several more batches to enjoy all through the sultry summer months.  With lemons now in season it is the perfect time to whip up a batch…..or two!

LEMON INFUSED VODKA
I could taste the lemon in the vodka after a week but chose to leave it for 3 weeks before using.  When I opened the jar lid I was overwhelmed with the most gorgeous aroma of lemon filling the air.  Completely intoxicating.  The vodka takes on the most perfect shade of light yellow as well.
Yield: approximately 2 cups infused vodka
Ingredients/supplies:
·         2 cups vodka (neutral flavor)
·         3 medium lemons,  rinsed well and quartered
·         Quart size Mason jar with lid (or any jar with a sealing lid)

Place lemons and vodka in the jar; seal.  Place in a dark, cool place and test for flavor after one week.  Continue to taste until vodka has taken on the depth of flavor you prefer; remove and discard lemons, seal jar and enjoy!

Now what to do with it!  I looked back through the cocktails I’ve posted and found 4 that include Lemon Vodka.  I’ll share those links below as well as a simple, satisfying favorite: Lemon Vodka Tonic.

LEMON VODKA TONIC
·         1 ½ ounce lemon vodka
·         Tonic water (I personally love Fever Tree)
Fill a tall glass with desired amount of crushed ice.  Add lemon-infused vodka and fill with tonic water.
Other Boulder Locavore cocktails using Lemon Vodka:

Pin It

Comments

Oooh, that looks amazing. I love lemon….anything. I will definitely give this a go. I'll bet lime infused would be outstanding as well.

We're hit and miss on the summer clothing on Easter thing even though we're in the south. Since it's so early this year, we may have a light sweater on, but definitely no snow!

I think you are right and that is one reason I love infusing; the endless possibilities! Our weather is warm but overcast today which I found a relief frankly! When the sun is out is really does rev people up in a different way. Impossible for me to stay indoors at all. Not holding my breath for Easter clothes; I'm sure this warm weather is merely a tease.

Lemon Vodka Tonic, that would be a drink for me, since my usual standard drink is a Gin Tonic.
    Great pictures, Toni. I love the serving tray!
    I don't know if I like the warm weather right now. I still had plans to go skiing a few more times before the lifts will be closing.

Thank Kirsten. It is a very light, fresh drink. It is overcast up here today for which I'm thankful. Not ready for full bore spring/summer quite yet! We too have had a minimal ski season. Were going to go to Eldora today and noted they lost 6 inches of base overnight!

3. Jane says

This is gorgeous! I also love lemon anything! I have only attempted cranberry infused vodka .. I should try a couple more flavors!

You should Jane! Someone left a comment on another infusion I made sharing they had a batch of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and Bubble Gum vodka infusing as she wrote (separate batches). That is out of my realm of creativity certainly but there are plenty of other things to infuse.

Oooh nicely done! I've never done any infused spirits, but it looks so simple and delicious :)
    And I have he same ceramic knife in bright lemon yellow!

This sounds less messy than the limoncello I'd made earlier, with all the grating of the zest, etc. And there's no need to strain the zest either when using it for mixing. Thanks, Toni.

I have not made limoncello before but this certainly is easy and delicious. I'd make it for the aroma frankly; it's heavenly. This would be very refreshing in your area; cut a bit of the heat and humidity!

now you made something I can really enjoy! Vodka was always my drink of choice in the old days. Your vodka sounds perfectly refreshing!

If you've ever seen Rustler's Rhapsody you know how I take my liquor!

cheers
    Dennis

Wow, such gorgeous photos.
    And thanks for using two of my favorite things in this recipe. Well, make that THREE of my favorite things. I've kind of got a thing for jars :)
    Now that I've discovered your blog on Foodbuzz, I'm going to go back to it and see what other amazing photos and ideas you have. I'm sure there are plenty to inspire.

I see we made the Top 9 today! Hooray for being in good company. :)

This recipe is so simple lovely – and the photos are fantastic (they make me forget that it's positively horrible outside in Portland). Also, Fever Tree tonic water happens to be my favorite as well. I'm sure it'd be even better with homemade lemon vodka.

Congrats to you too Lindsay! I'm playing at bit of catch up and will pop by to see your undoubtedly fab recipe. Sorry to hear of your weather. We are having temps in the 70's; unheard of ongoing at this time of year here. This vodka is a sunny contribution to the day….especially the aroma!

What a great idea! Lemons were on a good sale at the Sunflower Farmers Market too, might have to go get some & make up a batch. I can't believe we're supposed to hit 72F down in the Springs today. Too hot for me LOL :)

I agree on the temps Andrea! With the long range forecast being in the 70's it makes me dubious. Either we'll have a big soggy snow dump just for Spring Break or the hottest summer on record. In the meantime, make some Lemon Vodka!

This looks so fabulously refreshing and light! I like that you didn't use any sugar. I made limoncello last summer but though it was good, a little too sweet even in cocktails for my taste. Congraulations on your spot in the Foodbuzz top 9!

I'm so glad you like this Georgia. I'm with you on the sugar. I even don't love margaritas unless I make them myself (or have input) for the sugar in the Triple Sec. It ruins the taste for me if overdone (I actually don't use Triple Sec) and I think it makes a difference of how one feels too. This is light and bright. Thank you for the congrats as well!

I think they would be fantastic! This is my first citrus infusion. I wondered if the peel would make the vodka 'pithy' tasting and it did not. I can think of several great citrus infusions. It's too easy not to give it a go! Great idea.

11. Fergyhun says

This looks great, will definately try it. Believe it or not, I once made Christmas Pudding vodka (being a Brit). Tasted great but the dark brown color was a bit off-putting. Lemon is a much better match than dried fruit and spices!! Your photos are amazing too. Thanks for sharing.

I love that! You know I think once you are bitten by the infusing bug there is no stopping! I did a post awhile ago about it suggesting people 'hide their children and pets'. I think you can infuse just about anything. Guess that does not equate with it always being good!

I think the possibilities are endless with a neutral vodka (including some who confess things like Bubble Gum and cake!). If you click on the Booze tab under my blog title above there are some other infusions I've done and cocktails using them too.

Hi, I love this blog and I've tried the strawberry infused vodka which I really liked but I just found this far too astringent for my tastes (and I quite like bitter tasting drinks). I'm going to try it again but next time I'm going to peel the lemon and the remove the flesh from the inside. That way there won't be any of the (very) bitter pith in the infusion. Anyway, keep up the good work!

13. Sandy says

Do you think the lemon vodka needs to be refrigerated? I have a commercial bottle that has been open in the pantry for at least three years. Should I spill it out?

I don’t think it needs to be refrigerated. It’s nice to have it cooled ready for cocktails but I don’t think it’s necessary for spoilage reasons as with a perishable food. I would smell and taste your vodka. I have alcohol that belonged to my husband’s father that is decades old and still good! A distiller friend told me liquor does not go bad in the traditional sense but it may not taste as vibrant over time. Also if you make this vodka infusion I would discard the lemons as soon as it is infused so it does not turn bitter over time.