Instant Pot Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese with Green Chilies
This macaroni and cheese recipe is creamy and luscious with a great blending of flavors. Time for the Instant Pot to come to pressure is not included in the Total Time. It should average around 10 minutes.For GLUTEN eaters: Though I have not made this recipe with gluten pasta, there are many similar recipes using gluten pasta on the internet. I would follow the same recipe using gluten macaroni. If there is water present after cooking the pasta it can be drained or if only a small amount be stirred into the pasta and remaining ingredients.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 6 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 11 cups mac and cheese
- 1 pound (16 ounces) Gluten-Free Elbow Pasta (I used Tinkyada Brown Rice Elbow Pasta)
- 4 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 12- ounce can Evaporated Milk
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard Powder
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 20 ounces grated Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 2 4- ounce cans Diced Green Chilies (Mild or Hot), drained
- 6 quart Instant Pot
- Combine the elbow pasta, water and salt in the insert of the 6 qt Instant Pot. Stir and secure the lid; set the pressure vent to SEALING.
- Select MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE and using the "+/-" buttons select 4 minutes. While the Instant Pot comes to pressure, whisk together the evaporated milk and mustard. Prepare the cheese and green chilies.
- When the 4 minutes has completed do a QUICK RELEASE (you can place a kitchen towel over the vent in the case some starchy steam comes out) and leave the Instant Pot on the "KEEP WARM" setting (it will automatically change to that after the quick release). Note: when the lid is opened, the pasta water may have foamed up but it will quickly subside.
- Add the butter, evaporated milk with the mustard and stir to melt the butter.
- Add the cheese in 3 batches, stirring between each addition until all the cheese has melted and has become creamy (note: if using purchased grated cheese it may take a few additional minutes to melt).
- Add the green chilies and stir to combine.
I want to connect with you! Leave a comment and follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & Instagram!