Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats with Gingerbread flavors and an eggnog float is perfect choice for wintery mornings. Creamy, with a chewy bite, brimming with holiday flavors.
I’m feeling a bit festive with the holidays rolling on in and have put my Instant Pot to work with dazzling results once again.
A steel cut oats recipe is causing great excitement at the breakfast table: Gingerbread Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats with an eggnog float on top!
This steel cut oats recipe makes a warming, delicious start to the day.
It’s both easy and fast to prepare, leaving only one pot to clean up.
What are Steel Cut Oats?
Steel cut oats are processed so the whole oat groat (the oat kernel without the husk) is cut into several pieces; leaving something that looks very similar to broken rice kernels.
They take longer to cook than the flat, soft rolled oats of traditional oatmeal fame.
Steel cut oats are often called Scottish or Irish Oats and have a wonderful chewy texture.
Steel Cut Oats vs. Oatmeal
If you have had steel cut oats, you’ll know they are nothing like oatmeal.
They feel to have more substance thanks to their texture when prepared.
This steel cut oats recipe is no exception.
Full of those sweet, familiar winter flavors, it comes out of the Instant Pot soft and ready to be eaten.
Gingerbread Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats Ingredients
The majority of the ingredients in this steel cut oats recipe are the spices creating the delicious gingerbread flavor:
- Unsalted Butter
- Ground Cloves
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Cinnamon
- Kosher Salt
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Steel Cut Oats gluten-free or regular steel cut oats may be used
- prepared Eggnog
Making Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
Cooking steel cut oats in the Instant Pot is a great choice! Why?
- It’s easy
- Requires no monitoring
- Infuses flavor wonderfully into the oats
- Cooks the steel cut oats perfectly
- Retains more nutrition in the ingredients (the beauty of pressure cooking)
How Long Does it Take to make Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats?
It takes about 30 minutes for the Instant Pot Gingerbread Steel Cut Oats recipe to be done.
This includes the time for the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
I love drizzling the prepared eggnog on top for a favorite holiday flavor combo!!
Gluten-Free Steel Cut Oats
It was a happy, happy day for me when steel-cut oats became available in a gluten-free version.
Though oats do not have gluten in them, they are subject to cross-contamination in processing (and can produce cross-reactivity in some gluten-intolerant people).
So those on a medical gluten-free dietary program, like me, must eat only gluten-free oats.
After I became gluten-free over a decade ago it took some time for regular rolled oats to become available for hot cereal.
Steel cut oats are even more recent, and a thrilling option for me.
How to Make Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats – Step-by-Step
For a detailed printable recipe refer to the recipe card at the end of the blog post.
STEP 1: Select the SAUTE function. Add the butter and allow to melt.
STEP 2: Add the spices, brown sugar and molasses. Stir to combine.
STEP 3: Add the steel cut oats and water; stir to combine.
STEP 4: Seal the lid. Select the PORRIDGE function HIGH PRESSURE for 12 minutes.
STEP 5: When the cooking is complete allow a NATURAL RELEASE for 10 minutes. Manually release any remaining pressure.
STEP 6: Remove the lid and stir the steel cut oats (there will be standing liquid). Allow to sit on WARM for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Serve hot with a drizzle of eggnog on the top!
No Instant Pot? Try Pear-Ginger Oatmeal with Candied Maple Pecans!
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
- Shakshuka (Poached Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce)
- Christmas Breakfast Enchilada Casserole
- Muffin Tin Denver Omelet
- Challah French Toast with Berries
- Banana Coffee Cake
Try these Instant Pot Recipes too!
- Pina Colada Steel Cut Oats recipe
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Southwestern Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Creme Brulee in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Cheesecake
If you’ve made this Instant Pot Gingerbread Steel Cut Oats recipe please RATE THE RECIPE below!
5 MIND-BLOWING INSTANT POT TIPS YOU NEED!
I’ve uncovered some unexpected, useful tips you’ll want to know.
Sign-Up below and I’ll tell you all my Instant Pot secrets!
Instant Pot Gingerbread Steel Cut Oats
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Molasses
- 1 cup Steel Cut Oats gluten-free or regluar steel cut oats may be used
- 3 cups Water
- 1/2 cup prepared Egg Nog for topping the oats
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute and add the butter to the insert. Allow the butter to melt in the insert then add all of the spices, brown sugar and molasses; stir to completely combine.
- Add the steel-cut oats and water and stir to combine. Lock the lid in place, ensuring the vent is sealed. Select the Porridge setting, High Pressure and 12 minutes.
- When the cooking is completely allow 10 minutes of natural release. Follow with a manual relase of the remaining pressue. Remove the lid and stir the oats (there will be a layer of liquid on the top) and allow to sit on the Warm seting for 1-2 minutes before serving. Top with eggnog and any other favorite toppings.
The time for the Instant Pot to come to pressure may vary but 10 minutes would be an estimated time.
This recipe prepared in a 6-quart Instant Pot.
Originally published November 28, 2017