Sweet and tangy Homemade Barbecue Sauce is SO easy to make! It takes just 10 minutes and there are so many ways to use it! You’ll want a jar in the refrigerator all summer long.
The right barbecue sauce can make or break a recipe.
Getting the sweet-tangy balance just right makes the difference of a good grilling recipe or a GREAT grilling recipe!
This easy homemade barbecue sauce recipe gives every recipe a sweet tangy kick.
Keep a jar in the refrigerator ready whenever you need it!
This barbecue sauce recipe makes excellent barbecued ribs, barbecued chicken, and barbecued party style wings!
- Brown sugar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Soy sauce (regular or gluten-free)
- ground Ginger
- ground Mustard
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Worcestershire Sauce (optional)
Try the recipe with homemade ketchup! It adds delicious depth of flavor and you’ll want it on everything you use ketchup on too.
This is a classic ingredient in BBQ sauce. It balances sweeter flavors to make a well-rounded flavor.
If you love sweet sauce, leave it out!
How to Make it Gluten-Free
Use gluten-free Soy Sauce or Tamari. All other ingredients are naturally gluten-free!
How to Make it- Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to dissolve the sugar and blend all ingredients.
STEP 2: Remove from heat. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for use. NOTE: sauce will thicken as it cools.
How much does the recipe make?
3 cups of sauce.
Make it Spicier
If you love a spicy barbecue sauce add an 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Make it Smokier
Add a few dashed of Liquid Smoke or a similar brand of liquid smokiness.
Love a Sweet Barbecue Sauce?
If you love your BBQ sauce sweet, leave the Worcestershire sauce out. It serves to balance the sweetness.
How to Use it
If using for ribs:
- Bake the ribs in a pan covered in aluminum foil at 350 degrees Fahrenheit to within 30 minutes of being done.
- Remove from the oven and pour or brush the sauce over the ribs.
- Return to oven, uncovered, and bake an additional 30 minutes.
If using to barbecue chicken:
- Place the chicken, breast side down, in a covered baker or roasting pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the majority of fat drippings have gathered in the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and drain off the fat drippings.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken and return the covered roasting pan to the oven until the chicken is done.
Cheater BBQ Chicken: Baste a rotisserie chicken with the sauce, heat and serve.
To make party-style chicken wings:
- Pour half the recipe into a jar with a lid and refrigerate for future use.
- Coat the wings in flour and deep fry.
- Drain them on paper towels.
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Dip each wing piece in the barbecue sauce and allow the excess to drain off.
- Place on the foil-lined pan and repeat until all wing pieces have been dipped.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes.
Basting Grilled Meats
You can also use this sauce for basting on an outdoor grill.
- Let your meat cook slightly beyond the halfway point of being done.
- Begin basting and continue basting and turning until the meat has finished cooking.
Use it Off the Grill
It can also be tossed into recipe like chicken salad for a fun twist.
How Long Does it Last?
Store the barbecue sauce in a sealed quart size jar for up to a week.
More Grilling Recipes You’ll Love!
- Grilled Cheesy Sausage Pineapple Skewers
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil with Garlic and Parmesan
- Sticky Grilled Chicken Wings
- Grilled Kabob Recipes
- Chicken Souvlaki
Try These Recipes too!
Homemade BARBECUE SAUCE
Sweet and tangy Barbecue Sauce is fast and easy to make at home! Use it on grilled meat, pizza, sandwiches and loads of other things.
- 1 1/2 cups Ketchup
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce regular or gluten-free
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce optional
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a low simmer stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly and pour into a glass jar. Seal and refrigerate.
The sauce will thicken as it cools and when chilled.