Sweet and tangy Homemade Barbecue Sauce is SO easy to make! It takes just 10 minutes and there are so many ways to use it! You’ll want a jar in the refrigerator all summer long.
The right barbecue sauce can make or break a recipe.
Getting the sweet-tangy balance just right makes the difference of a good grilling recipe or a GREAT grilling recipe!
This easy homemade barbecue sauce recipe gives every recipe a sweet tangy kick.
Keep a jar in the refrigerator ready whenever you need it!
This barbecue sauce recipe makes excellent barbecued ribs, barbecued chicken, and barbecued party style wings!
- Brown sugar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Soy sauce (regular or gluten-free)
- ground Ginger
- ground Mustard
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Worcestershire Sauce (optional)
Try the recipe with homemade ketchup! It adds delicious depth of flavor and you’ll want it on everything you use ketchup on too.
This is a classic ingredient in BBQ sauce. It balances sweeter flavors to make a well-rounded flavor.
If you love sweet sauce, leave it out!
How to Make it Gluten-Free
Use gluten-free Soy Sauce or Tamari. All other ingredients are naturally gluten-free!
How to Make it- Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to dissolve the sugar and blend all ingredients.
STEP 2: Remove from heat. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for use. NOTE: sauce will thicken as it cools.
How much does the recipe make?
3 cups of sauce.
Make it Spicier
If you love a spicy barbecue sauce add an 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Make it Smokier
Add a few dashed of Liquid Smoke or a similar brand of liquid smokiness.
Love a Sweet Barbecue Sauce?
If you love your BBQ sauce sweet, leave the Worcestershire sauce out. It serves to balance the sweetness.
How to Use it
If using for ribs:
- Bake the ribs in a pan covered in aluminum foil at 350 degrees Fahrenheit to within 30 minutes of being done.
- Remove from the oven and pour or brush the sauce over the ribs.
- Return to oven, uncovered, and bake an additional 30 minutes.
If using to barbecue chicken:
- Place the chicken, breast side down, in a covered baker or roasting pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the majority of fat drippings have gathered in the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and drain off the fat drippings.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the chicken and return the covered roasting pan to the oven until the chicken is done.
Cheater BBQ Chicken: Baste a rotisserie chicken with the sauce, heat and serve.
To make party-style chicken wings:
- Pour half the recipe into a jar with a lid and refrigerate for future use.
- Coat the wings in flour and deep fry.
- Drain them on paper towels.
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Dip each wing piece in the barbecue sauce and allow the excess to drain off.
- Place on the foil-lined pan and repeat until all wing pieces have been dipped.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes.
Basting Grilled Meats
You can also use this sauce for basting on an outdoor grill.
- Let your meat cook slightly beyond the halfway point of being done.
- Begin basting and continue basting and turning until the meat has finished cooking.
Use it Off the Grill
It can also be tossed into recipe like chicken salad for a fun twist.
How Long Does it Last?
Store the barbecue sauce in a sealed quart size jar for up to a week.
More Grilling Recipes You’ll Love!
- Grilled Cheesy Sausage Pineapple Skewers
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil with Garlic and Parmesan
- Sticky Grilled Chicken Wings
- Grilled Kabob Recipes
- Chicken Souvlaki
Try These Recipes too!
Homemade BARBECUE SAUCE
- 1 1/2 cups Ketchup
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce regular or gluten-free
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce optional
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a low simmer stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly and pour into a glass jar. Seal and refrigerate.