Sweet and smoky Grilled Asparagus is an easy, fast, delicious grilling recipe! It’s a perfect summer side dish for any meal.
The BEST Way to Make Asparagus!
My favorite way to prepare asparagus is to grill it.
The natural sweetness comes out and the texture is fabulous.
It’s fast and easy.
All you need is asparagus, olive oil and salt and pepper.
How to Prepare it
While the grill is heating, rinse the asparagus and dab dry with a paper towel.
If using store bought asparagus cut or break off any woody bottom of the stalk.
The leaves on the sides of the stalk can be removed with a vegetable peeler if desired.
Wild and home grown asparagus is soft and this is not needed.
How to Grill It – Step-by-Step
This recipe is great for wild asparagus or store bought asparagus. Printable recipe card at the end of the blog post.
STEP 1: Heat grill to medium heat.
STEP 2: Brush both sides of the asparagus with olive oil. Salt and Pepper generously.
STEP 3: Grill for 2 minutes, flip over and grill aproximately 2 additional minutes.
NOTE: thicker stalks may need to be grilled for 3-4 minutes a side.
How Long to Grill Asparagus?
Two minutes on each side is usually perfect for slender stalks.
Though asparagus is round, it only needs to be grilled on one side, flipped and grilled on the opposite side.
Thicker stalks may require 3-4 minutes on each side.
How to Tell if it’s Done
Grilled asparagus should have grill marks and soften without being limp.
PRO TIP: Making Asparagus Rafts
It’s easy to flip the asparagus with tongs while grilling but there’s an even easier way: asparagus rafts.
Multiple stalks are threaded on toothpicks or skewers.
This makes it easy to flip multiple stalks over at once!
Insert thin skewers aproximately one inch from each the top and bottom of the stalks.
More Asparagus Recipes You’ll Love!
- Asparagus Leek New Potato Frittata
- Springtime Asparagus Leek Romenesco Quiche
- Lemony Purple Asparagus Pancetta Pasta
- White Asparagus Arugula Spring Salad
- Balsamic Roasted Asparagus with Goat Cheese and Toasted Walnuts
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the asparagus. Trim any woody stalks at the bottom if having purchased from the store.
- Heat a grill to medium heat.
- Brush asparagus with the olive oil on both sides. Salt and pepper liberally.
- Place on the grill for about 2 minutes a side (enough to form grill marks and for it to being to soften without becoming limp). Enjoy immediately!