Beef Bourguignon is full of tender chunks of beef, mushrooms, onions, potatoes, fresh herbs in a rich broth. This classic French recipe is made easy using an Instant Pot!
Bring a little bit of France into your kitchen with this rich, hearty beef stew recipe.
Like my French Cassoulet recipe, we’ve made this Beef Bourguignon recipe easy.
Using an Instant Pot is a perfect way to make it. Tender, flavorful beef, a rich broth and perfectly cooked vegetables.
This classic beef stew will become a family favorite especially during the cold weather month.
What is Beef Bourguignon?
This French dish is technically called ‘Boeuf Bourguignon‘ and translated into English as Beef Bourguignon. It’s also called Beef Burgundy. Beleived to originate int he Burgundy region of France but also due to using burgundy wine in the recipe.
It’s a beef stew cooked with red wine, beef stock, vegetables such as carrots, onion, garlic, mushrooms and bacon.
The stew is hearty and satisfying with big aromatic flavors. It has a sophisticated flavor that’s the best type of comfort food.
How do you pronounce ‘Bourguignon’?
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
It’s very flavorful and tender when cooked for a longer time. Timesaving Tip: it can be purchased already cubed which will save preparation time.
Bacon. Hickory smoked bacon is recommended. The bacon has two functions.
It cooks first to ensure it’s cooked before pressure cooking with the stew. The rendered fat is used when browning the beef chuck too.
Yukon Gold Potatoes. These potatoes have a dense consistency that is perfect for pressure cooking. They do not need to be peeled either. If you’d prefer russet potatoes, peel them before cooking.
Beef Broth. I recommend low sodium beef broth which allows you to control the saltiness by adding salt at the end.
Red Wine. Red wine gives a signature flavor to this beef stew. For suggested wines refer to the section below. SUBSTITUTION” If you would rather not use wine, substitute more beef broth for the wine.
Yellow Onion. Chopped onions give great flavor.
Mushrooms. Sliced baby bella mushrooms are recommended for their wonderful flavor. They are young portabella mushrooms which taste very meaty.
To clean the mushrooms, use a damp paper towel to wipe any excess dirt off. Do not emerse mushrooms in water or they become soggy in texture.
Timesaving Tip: purchase already sliced baby bella mushrooms from your grocery store to save time cleaning and slicing them.
Carrots. Peeled carrots add flavor to the recipe. Cut the carrots in 1-inch lengths for better texture in the finished stew.
Tomato Paste. Just a bit of tomato paste rounds out the flavor of the broth.
Unsalted Butter. Used when cooking the bacon and browning the beef cubes.
Flour. Tossed with the beef for a nice outer coating when browned. Regular or gluten-free flour may be used.
Seasonings. Fresh Thyme sprigs, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
What is the best Red Wine to use in Beef Bourguignon?
Traditionally a Burgundy would be used. We used Pinot Noir and it was delicious.
What size Instant Pot to use?
This recipe was made with a 6-quart Instant Pot.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Cook the Bacon.
Set the Instant Pot on SAUTE. Add 1 tablespoon butter with the bacon (photo 1). Cook until edges are crispy (photo 2).
Remove the bacon to drain on a paper towel. Leave the bacon fat in the Instant Pot.
STEP 2. Brown the Beef.
Combine the flour, salt and pepper. Toss with the beef (photo 3).
Add 1/3-1/2 of the beef into the Instant Pot (on SAUTE) to brown on all sides; approximately 5 minutes.
Remove from Instant Pot and add another batch of the beef; repeat. Add an additional 1 tablespoon of butter as needed.
STEP 3. Deglaze the Instant Pot. Pour in half of the broth and use a spatula scrape any browned bits of meat sticking to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Turn off the SAUTE setting.
NOTE: this step will prevent a burn warning on more sensitive machines.
STEP 4. Prepare the Beef Stew. Photos 5-6.
Return the beef to the Instant Pot. Add the onions, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, red wine and rest of the beef broth.
Follow with the potatoes, chopped bacon, thyme, tomato paste and bay leaves.
STEP 5. Pressure Cook the Stew.
Seal the lid and put the vent on SEALING. Select HIGH PRESSURE for 32 minutes.
Following cooking perform a QUICK RELEASE. Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
Remove the lid and select the SAUTE function. Allow the stew to simmer with the lid off for 8-10 minutes until thickened to preference.
What is Traditionally Served with Beef Bourguignon?
Allow the recipe to cool. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Sweet & Spicy Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Hearty New Mexican Green Chile Pork Stew
- Mexican Chorizo Lentil Stew
- Cuban Instant Pot Beef Stew (Carne Con Papas)
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup (Instant Pot recipe)
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- 2 pounds beef chuck cubed into 1.5-2 inch pieces
- 5 slices hickory smoked bacon chopped
- 1 pound (16 ounces) Yukon gold potatoes quartered
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 ½ cups dry red wine Pinot Noir works best
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour regular or gluten-free
- 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn on the Instant Pot to the Sauté function. Add in 1 tablespoon of the butter and chopped bacon. Cook for 4-5 minutes until edges are crispy. Remove from the Instant Pot and set on a paper towel to drain. Reserve the bacon fat in the Instant pot for cooking.
- Combine the flour, a large pinch EACH of salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the beef with the flour mixture until meat is evenly coated.
- Browning the beef: Add 1/3 of the beef to the Instant Pot (still on SAUTE) and brown on all sides; approximately 5 minutes. Remove from the Instant Pot.
- Repeat for the remaining beef (in 1-2 batches) adding 1 tablespoon of the butter before each batch as needed.
- Pour half of the broth into the Instant Pot and scrape the bottom with a spatula to free any browned bits sticking on the pot. Turn off Saute function.
- Add the beef back into the Instant Pot. Add the onions, carrots, mushrooms and garlic on top. Pour in the remaining broth and red wine.
- Add the potatoes, along with the chopped bacon, thyme, tomato paste, and bay leaves.
- Lock the lid, switch the pressure valve to Sealing, and cook at HIGH PRESSURE for 32 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, perform a QUICK RELEASE to release the steam. After the pressure pin drops, remove the lid and turn the SAUTE function back on.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Continue to cook the stew for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until the liquid has thickened to your preference.
- Serve warm with fresh thyme or parsley. Enjoy!