Simple Food: Homemade Oven Fries

When writing about food I imagine it will be things that are new or unusual (or with sugar) that people would find most interested.  However as I was making a large batch of homemade fries this week with the last of our winter root cellar potatoes  (I’ll add during a sloppy, cold rain/snow/hail storm) it was brought to my attention how delicious they were, so much better than any other fries and why doesn’t everyone make their own?  Well, I don’t know why everyone doesn’t make their own (maybe they do) other than perhaps they don’t think to do so or realize how effortless (and delicious) they are.
So please forgive this simple fare.  If you make these all the time you can give me a cyber High 5 for also being in the ‘from scratch’ potato fry club.  If you haven’t made fries this way then perhaps you’ll try or remember when in a time pinch with an ample supply of potatoes that this is a great way to use them!
Home Oven Fries
You can make this recipe with whatever size and type potatoes you have on hand.  For this cut, larger potatoes are easier since they are eaten like fries.
Serves: 4-6
·         4-5  larger size potatoes (Russet, Yukon Gold,  Yellow, White)
·         1-2 tablespoons olive oil
·         Salt and pepper to taste
1.       Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2.      Scrub potatoes.  Slice potatoes into fries.  I usually cut the potato in half lengthwise and then cut the size wedges I desire lengthwise from each half.  If using a very large potato, you can also slice the wedge in half lengthwise to create an easily edible size.
3.      In a large bowl, toss potatoes in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and ample salt and pepper.  The potatoes should all be thinly coated but not dripping with oil.
4.      Place potatoes in a single layer on a cookie sheet (I usually cook them on a Silpat or foiled lined cookie sheet).  Cook until done (about 25 minutes), turning once or twice during cooking to allow a golden-brown crust to form on the potatoes.  They’ll develop a delicious crunch on the outside and soft inside.

Comments

OH YUM!! Thank you for reminding me…it's been a while, but I always make homemade oven fries and they are waaaay better than their store-bought, fried counterparts.

oven roasted potatoes are simply the best! Even my girls have learned the sweet pleasure of oven roasting….sigh
    hope your weekend is going well!
    Dennis

Simple fare all the way, my dear :-) I love homemade oven fries! They're way healthier and I think they taste so much better since you can customize it with whatever you want! I'm a potato lover through and through and these fries have made my heart flutter.

Could you pretty please add sweet potatoes to your list? :)

I made some sweet potato oven fries last year after Thanksgiving when I had too many potatoes left over and I vowed that I would not save that treat just for Thanksgiving. I'm trying to live up to that promise; they are my favorites!

Homemade fries are the best! Although I confess, I've only used this method with Sweet Potatoes. I don't often get white potatoes, but may have to for a special occasion. I”m back in my down jacket here too! after two 95 degree days :( So ready for the warm weather to stick around. Making those mesquite pancakes with the kids this morning!!

I love these, too — they're a regular side dish here. (Although, I confess, I can make a whole meal of them and they're so adaptable to absorbing different flavors too.)