Homemade oven fries are a healthier option to fast food French fries or deep fried potatoes. This easy oven fries recipe produces baked potato wedges that are crispy on the outside and fluffy and tender on the inside. Gluten free and delicious!!
French fries have always been popular in my household and a number of years ago, I realized I could make Homemade Oven Fries easily with potatoes, some oil and seasonings. It might be obvious, but when one is used to buying food like French fries their whole life, the realization that they can make French fries from scratch somehow isn’t obvious.
Homemade Oven Fries: Simple Food Made Easy
What I love about making Homemade Oven Fries is I almost always have potatoes and can make the decision with no planning. We love thicker oven fries, but you can make them into any size or shape; long and skinny French Pomme Frites (the original ‘French fry’), regular size fires or larger steak fries. They are great on their own (with Homemade Best Ketchup) or in recipes like Texas-Inspired Chili Cheese Fries or Barbecue Beef Poutine (a Canadian signature food). Also being baked instead of deep fried, homemade oven fries have far less fat, and only ‘good’ fats.
Potatoes are available all year round, making the baked potato wedges recipe a great side dish whether for roasted winter meats, and slow cooker dishes or for grilled summer recipes. For those gluten-free, homemade oven fries are a great choice, being naturally gluten-free. When making French fries from scratch, there is no concern over any flour being added to separate the fries.
I particularly like these fries because they are larger than a traditional French fry, and they develop a delicious golden, crisp outside with a soft inside. They are definitely a family favorite.
Something that my kids (and me too) like about making fries at home is you can strike the perfect salt to potato ratio. I’m sure you’ve had the experience of buying fries and they seem to be a Goldilocks story; too salty or not salty enough, but rarely ‘just right’. I’ve deliberately not specified the amount of salt and pepper, leaving that to your personal preference. I give my fries a healthy sprinkling of both salt and pepper but you can all a bit before cooking and more after before serving as it suits your taste.
How to Make Homemade Oven Fries:
To make the oven fries recipe, you will need:
- a sharp chef’s knife – this will allow you to cut the potatoes into any desired thickness, OR
- a French fry slicer – This handy tool makes cutting homemade oven fries a breeze, but they will be the size of standard French fries
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Greek Fries – a Fully Loaded Fries recipe
- Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Homemade Oven Fries
- 3-4 larger size potatoes (Russet, Yukon Gold, Yellow, White)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher Salt and fresh Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub potatoes. Slice potatoes lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices; then cut each slice into 1/2 to 3/4-inch wide fries.
- In a large bowl, gently toss potatoes in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper. The potatoes should all be thinly coated but not dripping with oil.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat or foil (non-shiny side) and place potatoes in a single layer on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Cook until done (about 25 minutes), turning once or twice during cooking to allow a golden-brown crust to form on the potatoes. They’ll develop a delicious crunch on the outside and soft inside.
This delicious recipe was originally published in May 2011 and has been updated in 2016.