Hot Chocolate is soul-warming, like being wrapped in a cozy blanket by a roaring fire! It’s easy to make hot chocolate from scratch to have on hand at home or for a great gift idea!
A highlight of the cold weather season is sipping hot chocolate in a blustery day.
It warms fingers, toes and the soul.
It’s super easy to make from scratch!
Keep a supply on hand or whip some up for holiday gifts.
It’s so easy to make!
Kids can make this homemade hot chocolate recipe themselves for teachers, family or special friends!
Delicious Hot Chocolate Recipe
This hot cocoa recipe makes a cup of rich, chocolatey hot chocolate with a hint of spice!
The addition of ground cinnamon gives a homey, warming flavor.
Making a batch is fast and easy.
Keep it on hand for a quick cup or give it for gifts in a cute holiday or winter mug.
Hot Chocolate Mix Ingredients
All these ingredients are easy to find at all grocery stores.
- Dry Milk Powder
- Confectioner’s (Powdered) Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Mini Marshmallows
- Ground Cinnamon
What Type of Cocoa Powder to Use
Unsweetened Baking Cocoa.
This delivers a true chocolate flavor. The added sugar will sweeten the hot cocoa right up.
Why is there Salt in this Hot Chocolate recipe?
It’s a flavor trick!
Just a tiny bit of salt ‘pops’ the hot cocoa flavors to make it taste even richer and with more chocolate flavor.
You’ll never know the salt is there!
How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate mix – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: In a medium bowl combine the dry milk powder, confectioner’s (powdered) sugar, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon (photos 1-3). Whisk to fully combine (photo 4).
STEP 2: Place the cellophane bag into the gift mug. Slowly spoon the hot cocoa mix into the bag.
STEP 3: Add the marshmallows on the top.
STEP 4: If not giving this hot cocoa as a gift, it can be added to a jar, and sealed for use whenever desired.
How to Make the Best Cup of Hot Chocolate!
Now that your hot chocolate mix is complete, make a cup of hot cocoa!
- Add 2 tablespoons of the hot chocolate mix to 8 ounces of hot water or milk.
- Stir to dissolve and enjoy!
TIP: Making the hot chocolate with milk will be extra rich! There is dry milk in the mix so it’s great with water too.
Ideas to Change it Up
- Use a candy cane for a stirrer to get a delicious peppermint chocolate flavor.
- Love cinnamon? Add some cinnamon Red Hots or baking imperials to give a spicier flavor.
- Love a mocha flavored drink? Add a shot of espresso or regular coffee.
- Whipped cream and chopped candy canes makes it festive.
- Stir in some semi sweet or dark chocolate chips (or chopped flavored chocolate) for a richer chocolate flavor.
- It can be made with Half and Half for an extra rich cup of cocoa!
- A splash of vanilla extract will give a homey flavor.
Supplies for a Hot Cocoa Recipe Gift
It’s easy and affordable to turn this hot cocoa mix into a special gift.
A Large Mug
Cute affordable mugs can be found at department stores, craft stores, thrift stores and grocery stores.
If you are an Amazon shopper they have lots of choices too.
It’s easy to find a perfect mug for a gift and not break the bank.
As reference the mug in these photos is 5-inches tall and 3-inches across.
Cellophane gift bag
Cellophane bags are perfect for the hot chocolate mix. They are usually found at craft or baking stores.
The size used for this hot chocolate mix: 5-inches by 11.5-inches.
A Ziploc plastic bag can also be used.
You probably have some already with your gift wrapping, crafting or sewing supplies.
If not this can be picked up at fabric or craft stores.
Pro Tip: cellophane bags come with metallic twist ties. Those can be used instead of ribbon to save time!
Printable Instruction Gift Tag
I’ve taken care of this one! See below.
Pro Tip: printing the label on white cardstock will make a stiffer label.
HOT CHOCOLATE MIX – PRINTABLE GIFT LABELS
Download a sheet of FREE printable Hot Cocoa mix gift labels! It’s a great way to turn this fun recipe into a surprise holiday gift.
More Homemade Edible Gift Ideas
- Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Pops (with printable labels)
- Homemade Cranberry Vinegar (with printable gift tags)
- Homemade Marshmallows
- Homemade Candy Cane Infused Vodka
- Compound Butter: 8 Recipes
- Simple Syrup: 8 Recipes and Suggested Uses
- Homemade Apple Spiced Vodka (with printable gift tags)
- DIY Pomegranate Lime Vodka & 17 Homemade Infusions and Liqueurs
- Candied Pecans
Try These Recipes Too
- Triple Chocolate Wacky Cake
- White Chocolate Raspberry Semifreddo
- Fully Loaded Chocolate Peppermint Oreo Brownies
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Hot Chocolate Mix
Wholesome ingredients combine for a rich, chocolately hot cocoa mix. Perfect to have on hand for chilly days for as an adorable gift.
- 1 ½ cups dry milk powder
- 1 cup confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon optional but yummy
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- 1 large gift mug
- 1 clear cello gift bag or clear Ziplock bag I used a 5” x 11 ½” but feel free to adjust to the mug size
- Decorative ribbon
- 1 Printable instruction gift tag
Directions for Cocoa Mix:
Combine dry milk powder, confectioner’s sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and cinnamon into a medium size bowl and whisk to combine.
Place your cello gift bag into the mug and slowly add in the cocoa mix.
Once all mix is in the bag, add the mini marshmallows on top.
Directions for Gift Preparation:
Print out instruction gift tags and cut out amount needed. Punch a hole in the top of each one.
Take your decorative ribbon and cut to the length you desire and add on the instruction tag.
Tie the ribbon around the bag making sure to seal it well.
Directions to Prepare the Cocoa:
Add 2 tbsp of cocoa mix for every 8 oz. of hot water or milk and stir.
Top with marshmallows and your favorite toppings and enjoy!