Whether you love Italian recipes or just a great Mediterranean spice blend, making Italian herb blend with your own herbs is fast and easy at home! Delicious to bring additional flavor to so many recipes!
Making your own homemade Italian seasoning with a custom mix of herbs is a great addition to your spice rack. This blend in particular is bursting with classic flavors and you’ll add it to everything.
It uses all the main herbs you’d add individually to Italian recipes and other recipes that use Italian seasoning ingredients.
It’s easy to make a big batch and share some with friends and family.
Great for inexpensive gifts too!
Homemade Italian Seasoning Blend
Homemade seasonings are not something people generally thing about making. But once you do you’ll want to whip up all your favorites at home.
They are less expensive than buying them. Your own spice blends reflect the flavors YOU love so you can make them exactly as you like them.
It’s easier to use than individual spices. Homemade spices can be customized to your preferences too. We only use our homemade taco seasoning mix now!
Made with favorite Italian herbs, this may be the most versatile spice blend you’ll ever use!
This blend doesn’t need a spice grinder or fancy equipment either!
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
This recipe uses all dried herbs and spices. Be sure to use newly purchased herbs for the best flavor results
- Garlic powder
- Lemon peel. This ingredient is not typical in most homemade seasoning blends but we think it makes a difference. Just a little is used and it gives a boost to the other herb flavors.
For some extra flavor in your Italian blend consider the following herbs:
- Onion powder
- Red pepper flakes or chili flakes (just a little bit!)
How to Make it
Add all ingredients to a medium size bowl.
Stir together to fully combine.
How to store Homemade Italian Seasoning
Store in a glass jar or other airtight container with lid (a small Mason jar works great).
Keep it with your other spices in a cool, dark place. A dry place pin the pantry is perfect.
How long does it last?
Homemade Italian seasoning mix and other seasoning blends made with dried herbs have a long shelf life. They can last up to 2-3 years.
They won’t ‘go bad’ but will become less pungent over time.
How to use it
We think this is the best Italian seasoning substitute for the store bought italian spices. It’s a very versatile herb blend.
- In all your favorite Italian dishes
- In pasta sauces or spaghetti sauce
- Roast chicken
- Sprinkled on vegetables like green beans
- In soups
- Anytime you want some Italian flair!
Always use fresh (dried) herbs. Spice bottles often get forgotten in the pantry and can get old.
They don’t ‘go bad’ in that they still can be used but their flavor lessens. When making spice mixes start with new bottles of herbs for the best flavor.
Recipes to use this spice blend!
Homemade Italian Seasoning blend
- 2 tablespoons dried Basil
- 2 tablespoons dried Oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried Marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried Thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Lemon peel
- Combine all herbs in a medium mixing bowl. Stir or whisk to fully combine.
- Store in an airtight glass jar, sealed, in a cool, dark, dry location. Use as called for in any recipes.