Halloween is always a crazy day in our house. Regardless of how much early planning goes into effect, the giddiness of the holiday takes hold making it difficult to sit down for a focused meal before goblins and ghouls arrive (and mine go out candy-seeking). Historically I’ve found it best to assemble quick eats so tummies are lined for the long night of adrenaline and sweets (or for the ‘Trick or Drinking’ some of the neighbors host).
Many of the recipes I’ve shared this month line a festive table for family and friends to dip into between outings. We always have ‘drop in’s’ who welcome a quick nosh before setting out Trick-or-Treating again.
I’m a bit bent on sticking with a Halloween color theme which honestly DOES amplify the excitement of the evening. These two recipes hold true to that also allowing wiggling in some healthier food in the form of crudités, black sesame rice crackers and carrot and sweet potato chips. The dishes are simple to make and quick to eat.
For more spooky appetizer fun, Green Goddess Dip is a great, light dip with vegetables too. Pair is with orange bell pepper slices or carrots for a pop of Halloween orange color!
Ghoulish Green Goddess Dip
- 8 ounces Neufchatel cheese (or cream cheese), sliced into large chunks
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup crème fraiche (or sour cream)
- ¼ cup yellow onion , chopped
- ¼ cup Italian or flat leaf parsley , chopped
- ¼ cup chives , chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a medium, heavy saucepan over low heat combine the Neufchatel cheese and milk. Stir frequently and constantly as the cheese begins to melt. Continue stirring until cheese is fully melted and combined with the milk. Whisk at the end to break up any chunks making it a smooth mixture. Remove from heat.
- Add the crème fraiche, onion, parsley and chives; stir to combine. Using an immersion/stick blender, blend to fully combine all ingredients in to a smooth mixture (note: the mixture can be blended in a traditional blender as well).
- Chill dip fully in refrigerator before serving.