Peach Crumble is an easy, relaxed dessert that just feels and tastes like summer. Fresh peaches, lightly sweetened baked with a brown sugar crumble topping. Add a scoop of ice cream for the perfect dessert.
This classic dessert recipe is straight from my Grandmother’s recipe box. And it’s SO EASY to make!
It’s a tried-and-tested family favorite for more decades than I can count!
Simple and delicious thanks to the natural sweetness of ripe peaches, brown sugar and butter.
This scoopable dessert doesn’t take much effort making it great for the heat of summer.
Crumble, Crisp or Cobbler?
There is a whole collection of relaxed Americana desserts.
There are Buckles and Bettys.
Crumble: a sweetened fruit layer topped with a brown sugar, flour, butter topping. The topping becomes crumbly and crisp when baked. Traditionally there are no oats in a crumble topping.
Crisp: like a Crumble, a Crisp has a cooked fruit layer topped with a sweetened rolled oat topping. The oats will crisp when cooked and the topping is lighter than a crumble.
Cobbler: again cobblers have a sweetened fruit layer but are topped with a type of sweet biscuit batter that bakes as the fruit layer cooks.
Having said all this, some recipe use the terms crumble and crisp interchangeably.
This Peach Crumble recipe is traditional with a streusel type topping.
- Granulated Sugar
- Kosher Salt
- Unsalted Butter
- All Purpose Flour – regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- Lemon Juice
- Light Brown Sugar
- chopped Walnuts
What Type of Peaches to Use?
Firm yet ripe peaches work the best for this recipe.
Yellow or white peaches both work. The photos show white peaches but the preparation is the same for either.
If you’d like to make this out of season, frozen thawed peaches may also be used.
PRO TIP – Fastest & Best Way to Peel Peaches
Peeled peaches are used for this crumble recipe. And I have a super quick and effective way to peel them in seconds!
- Prepare a large pot of boiling water and an ice bath in a large mixing bowl (add cold water and ice).
- Gently lower a few peaches into the boiling water with a ladle or handled strainer (photo 1). Boil for 30 seconds.
- Remove with a slotted spoon or strainer and place into the ice bath. Allow them to stay in the ice water until cool to the touch (15-30 seconds)(photo 2).
- Remove and hand peel the skin off (photo 3). Usually the skin will come off in a solid sheet.
Proceed with slicing the peaches.
How to Make Peach Crumble – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish (photo 1).
STEP 2: In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar, salt and 3 tablespoons of flour. Stir to fully mix (photo 2).
STEP 3: Add the sliced peaches to a large bowl. Pour the sugar mixture on them (photo 3) and toss to coat (photo 4).
STEP 4: Spoon the coated peaches and any juices into the prepared baking pan (photo 5).
STEP 5: In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, flour and melted butter (photos 6-7). Mix together to form pea-size pieces (photo 8).
STEP 6: Stir in walnuts (photo 8). Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly on top of the peaches (photo 9).
STEP 7: Bake for 40 minutes until topping is golden brown and crisp (photo 11). Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Peach Recipes You’ll Love!
- Buttermilk Peach Buckle
- Fresh Peach Chutney
- Peach Pie Overnight Oats
- Peach Yogurt Granola Breakfast Popsicles
- Boneless Pork Loin Roast with Peach-Moscato sauce
- Peach Lemongrass Soup
- Grilled Peach and Corn Salsa
Try these Recipe too!
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- 6 cups peeled, pitted and sliced into ¾-inch thick slices Peaches yellow or white
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour blend
- ¾ cup Light Brown Sugar firmly packed
- ½ cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter melted
- ½ cup finely chopped Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch by 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine the granulated sugar, salt and 3 tablespoons flour. Stir to fully combine.
- Add the peach slices to a medium mixing bowl. Drizzle on the lemon juice, followed by the sugar mixture. Stir to fully coat the peaches.
- Spoon the peaches and juices into the prepared pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the 1 cup flour and brown sugar. Stir to mix together.
- Drizzle in the melted butter. Stir to fully combine. It should form small pea-size clumps.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the topping evenly over the peaches (you can also use your hands). Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Scoop into bowls and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.