Classic Magic Cookie Bars turn into a tropical dessert with flavors of macadamia nuts, pineapple and coconut. Easy to make, chewy and irresistibly good!
Everyone will come running when they smell THESE Magic Cookie Bars baking!
The classic seven layer bars are transformed into the flavors of a tropical vacation!
Dried pineapple, sweet shredded coconut, white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts brighten any day!
What are Magic Cookie Bars?
Magic Bars, are also known as Seven Layer Bars, Hello Dolly Bars or Five Layer Bars.
They are a dessert cookie bar with a graham cracker crumb crust, layered with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, flaked coconut and nuts.
Sweetened condensed milk is poured over the bars before baking magically creating a chewy, sweet delicious bar that’s very easy to make.
A Topical Twist
This version is changed up to have the flavor of the tropics.
If you can’t take a tropical vacation this cookie bar recipe will make you feel like you are having one at home!
White chocolate chips, macadamia nuts, dried pineapple pair up with the traditional coconut and a Golden Oreo crust.
The ingredients in these Magic Cookie Bars last indefinitely in the pantry or refrigerator.
- Golden Oreos or Vanilla Sandwich Cookies (regular or gluten-free)
- Unsalted butter
- White chocolate chips
- Dried pineapple
- Sweetened Flaked coconut
- Dry roasted macadamia nuts
- Sweetened condensed milk
Vanilla Sandwich Cookies
Any brand of vanilla sandwich cookies can be used. Either regular or gluten-free cookies work great!
Macadamia nuts are a fatty tree nut with a unique buttery flavor.
If you cannot find macadamia nuts at your grocery store you can buy them online.
SUBSTITUTION: However if you cannot find them substitute pecans, walnuts, cashews or almonds.
Brazil nuts can also be substituted though are probably more difficult to find.
How to Make Magic Bars – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment or foil (shiny side down) sprayed with non-stick spray.
PRO TIP: Leave an overhang of parchment or foil for easy removal of the Magic Bars after baking for easy cutting.
STEP 2: Combine the sandwich cookies and melted butter in the food processor (photo 1). Process into fine crumbs (photo 2).
STEP 3: Spoon the crumbs into the prepared pan (photo 3) and press into a crust (photo 4). TIP: using the bottom of a flat measuring cup works great for this!
STEP 4: Bake the crust for 10 minutes; during baking proceed with the recipe preparation. AFTER BAKING remove the crust and turn the oven up to 350 degrees F.
STEP 5: Chop the dried pineapple into small pieces (photo 5).
STEP 6: Process the macadamia nuts in a food processor or mini chopper to form small pieces (photos 6-8).
Layering the Magic Bars
STEP 7: Sprinkle the macadamia nuts evenly on the crust (photo 10). Follow with 1 cup white chocolate chips (photo 11), sweetened coconut (photo 12) and dried pineapple (photo 13).
STEP 8: Pour the sweetened evaporated milk evenly over the top (photo 14) followed by the remaining white chocolate chips (photo 15).
STEP 9: Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees just until the sides turn golden in color (photo 16).
STEP 10: Cool completely on a cooling rack. Cover with foil and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours. Remove from the pan and cut (photo 16).
Allow to stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
How to Store
At Room Temperature
The cookie bars can be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days. NOTE: if in a hot or humid climate, store them in the refrigerator.
In the Refrigerator
Store the fully cooled in the refrigerator, cut bars in the pan covered tightly with plastic wrap or foil for up to 1 week.
In the Freezer
After the bars have fully chilled and been cut, wrap individual bars in plastic wrap. Place them in a freezer bag and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
They can be eaten straight from the freezer for a chewy consistency. Otherwise allow them to thaw in the refrigerator before eating.
More Dessert Bar Recipes You’ll Love!
- Mermaid Bait Bars
- Pumpkin Spice Hello Dolly Bars
- Holiday Chocolate Peppermint Magic Bars
- Monster Cookies
- Blackberry Oatmeal Bars
- Millionaire’s Shortbread recipe
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK , TWITTER , INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST !
Magic Bars with a Tropical Twist
- 24 Golden Oreos or vanilla sandwich cookies (regular or gluten-free)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla white chocolate chips
- 6 ounce package dried pineapple
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 ounces dry roasted macadamia nuts
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare an 8-inch square baking pan by lining with foil (shiny side down) or parchment paper, sprayed with non-stick spray. TIP: allow an overhang for easy removal from the pan after baking.
- Add the Oreos and melted butter to a food processor and blend until crumbs are fine. They will look like wet sand.
- Pour the crumbs into the bottom of the prepared pan and press into the bottom. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking and cooling, chop the dried pineapple into small pieces and blend the macadamia nuts in a food processor until crumbs are formed.
- After removing the crust from the oven turn the temperature up to 350 degrees.
Layering the Bars
- Sprinkle nuts along the bottom on top of crust. Follow with 1 cup of the white chocolate chips, then sprinkle with the coconut followed by the pineapple.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Decorate the top with the remaining chocolate chips and a little coconut.
Baking the Magic Bars
- Bake the bars for 30 minutes, just until the sides are starting to turn golden in color.
- Cool completely, then cover with foil and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours. When ready to cut into bars, allow them to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes and then slice and enjoy!
Lindsay Cotter says
Loved the tropical flavors in these! So fun and delicious!
I’m such a sucker for magic bars- and this tropical take on it makes things so bright and refreshing!
Krystel | Frugal Living says
Ugh this looks so amazing right now! Next time I get groceries, I’ll get the ingredients.
We needed a treat and this absolutely hit the spot. So good!!
Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes says
These taste and look like spring!
Such a great dessert! I can’t wait to try it this coming weekend! I know my family will love it!
These make me think of summer! Love the tropical twist especially the addition of the golden oreos!
Yum! These tropical bars are just the tasty distraction that I need right now
I followed your recipe to a t and it worked perfectly. Thanks for all the detailed information.
Celebrate Woman Today says
I love the color of these cookies. So bright. So sunshiny!