Instant Pot Turkey Chili is a delicious white chili recipe perfect for using turkey leftovers! Shredded turkey, white beans, diced green chilies and earthy spices make this soul-warming chili recipe a hit!
There’s nothing better than hearty comfort food ready in less than 30 minutes! Just a 12 minute cooking cycle.
If you love White Chicken Chili this turkey version will become a new favorite chili recipe.
Easy White Chili Recipe
White Chili is a nice change up from traditional red chili. In this case it’s a perfect turkey leftovers recipe too.
Instead of ground meat, tomatoes and bold chili powder this chili features turkey, Great Northern Beans, diced green chilies and more.
Cumin and oregano are the star spices with earthy flavors and pungent aroma.
It’s filling hearty comfort food that’s so fast to make in the Instant Pot.
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
Oil. Olive oil, avocado oil or vegetable oil can be used. The onions and garlic are sautéed in the oil.
Onion. We used yellow onions but white onions would work too!
Garlic Cloves. Gives more flavor.
Shredded Turkey. This is a great recipe to use leftover turkey. You can also cut it into cubes if preferred.
Diced Green Chilies. Mild or hot chilies can be used. Unless you know you want it spicy we suggest using mild green chilies and adding hot sauce to pump up the heat if desired.
Great Northern Beans. These delicate white beans are a perfect combo with the other ingredients. If needed Navy Beans or Cannellini Beans could be substituted.
Broth. Chicken broth or chicken stock, or vegetable stock is recommended. Stock or broth will work. We recommend low sodium so you control how salty you make it adding salt when serving if desired.
Spices. Cumin, Oregano, Salt and Pepper. These spices give an earthy flavor without overwhelming the more flavor-delicate ingredients.
Fresh Cilantro. Stirred in at the end.
One of the best things about chili is the toppings! Here are some favorites for this Instant Pot Turkey Chili:
- Lime wedges (on the side for a squirt of fresh lime juice)
- Sliced Scallions (green onions)
- Shredded Cheese. To stick with the white theme Monterey Jack cheese, Pepper Jack or White Cheddar are great choices.
- Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- More chopped Cilantro
Use shredded chicken instead of turkey. If you can’t get your hands on turkey meat to shred using shredded chicken is delicious too! Its fast and easy to use rotisserie chicken.
Use ground turkey. If you don’t have leftover turkey you can substitute ground turkey following these steps:
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the oil.
- When hot add 1 pound of ground turkey. Cook stirring often until no pink remains (about 4 minutes).
- Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in some of the broth to deglaze the pan scraping up and food bits sticking to the Instant Pot. This prevents a burn warning when pressure cooking.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and proceed with the recipe.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Sauté the onions and garlic.
Add the oil to the Instant Pot and set it to SAUTE.
When the oil is hot add the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes (photo 1).
Add the garlic and sauté one additional minute.
Turn off the SAUTE function.
STEP 2. Cooking the White Chili.
Add the turkey, diced green chilies, beans, broth, spices to the Instant Pot (photo 2). Seal and cook for 12 minutes cooking time on HIGH PRESSURE.
When cooking completes, perform a QUICK RELEASE and remove the lid (photo 3).
Stir in the chopped cilantro (photo 4).
STEP 3. Serving the Chili.
The chili can be served as is or topped with any of the suggested toppings.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Can this White Chili be Frozen?
Yes! Allow the chili to cool. Place in a freezer safe container or bag squeezing out as much air as possible. Freeze for up to 3 months.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Best Chili Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin White Bean Sausage Chili
- Red Chili
INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI (Leftovers recipe)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced or grated
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 2 4.5-ounce cans diced green chiles
- 3 15-ounce cans great northern beans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
Toppings (optional): use one or muliplte
- lime wedges
- sliced green onions
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- crushed tortillas
- chopped cilantro
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the oil to the bottom of your pot. Once the oil is warmed, add the diced onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions soften.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 additional minutes. Turn off the SAUTE function.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot: turkey, green chilies, beans, broth, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Secure the lid and seal the steam valve. Select manual HIGH PRESSURE for 12 minutes.
- Once the chili has finished cooking, perform a QUICK RELEASE. Remove the lid and stir in the cilantro. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings!