I learned recently that my mother and her friends get together during the day for the holidays, drink a bottle of wine and make ‘Lewd, Nude Gingerbread People’ complete with all their ‘bits and pieces’ if you know what I mean. I personally prefer the gender ambiguity of traditional ginger-people. I just really don’t need to know that much about them.
Gluten Free Gingerbread People Cookies
This delicious from scratch recipe is gluten-free with a gluten option.
- ½ cup softened unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar I use organic
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups sifted All Purpose Flour (regular or gluten free measure for measure flour) see NOTES below for my preferred blend used for this recipe
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- In the bowl of a mixer cream together the softened butter and sugar until creamy. Add molasses and egg yolk and beat until combined.
In a separate bowl sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum and the four spices.
Add to butter/sugar/molasses mixture blending until combined.
Cover and refridgerate at least one hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thickness of a ¼ inch. NOTE: I rolled mine out on a Roul’pat and did not have any sticking issues. You can also use a lightly floured surface or between two sheets of waxed paper. If the dough stays cold it should not stick.
Cut out cookies using a gingerbread shaped cookie cutter.
Place cookies about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes (they will begin to puff slightly but not to brown).
Remove cookies to a cooling rack until cool. May be iced if desired.
Annalise Roberts Food Philosopher Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour mixture (shared with permission):
- Brown Rice flour (extra finely ground): 2 parts (2 cups)
- Potato Stratch (NOT Potato Flour): 2/3 part (2/3 cups)
- Tapioca Flour: 1/3 part (1/3 cups)