A ‘Pizookie’ or skillet cookie is an unexpected treat everyone loves. This easy chocolate chip walnut recipe is served in individual size mini cast iron skillets.
I love having easy dessert recipes tucked in my pocket to make with short notice. A family favorite is this Chocolate Chip Pizookie recipe!
It bakes quickly into that familiar homey chocolate chip cookie texture and flavor everyone loves.
The thing that makes this version even MORE special is that each one is in its own 6-inch cast iron skillet!
What is a Pizookie?
A Pizookie is a cross between a pizza and a cookie. It’s a skillet cookie.
All recipes for skillet cookies vary. Some are made in one large skillet to share.
Instead of spooning out individual amounts of dough onto a baking sheet, this recipe is split between 4 personal size skillets.
It’s much faster to make than regular chocolate chip cookies.
The novelty of an individual dessert is always exciting for the recipient too!
Chocolate Chip Pizookie Ingredients
The ingredients for a pizookie are the same as a regular chocolate chip cookie. The only difference is the cast iron skillets and the cooking time.
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All Purpose Flour (regular or gluten-free)
- Kosher salt
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped walnuts
- Sea Salt large flake (optional topping)
Pizookies are particularly delicious when served slightly warm with some toppings:
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Maraschino Cherries
- Chocolate syrup
How to Make a Pizookie or Skillet Cookie – Step by Step
For a detailed, printable recipe refer to the recipe card at the end of the blog post.
Making chocolate chip skillet cookies is very easy. The steps are the same for regular chocolate chip recipe up until preparing to bake them.
Then the recipe becomes super fast!
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 4 6-inch cast iron skillets.
STEP 2. Make cookie dough
In a large bowl with a mixer, cream together the butter, granulated sugar (photo 1) and brown sugar (photo 2); until light and fluffy (photo 3).
Add eggs (photo 4), one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Pour in vanilla extract and mix well.
Add the flour (photo 5), salt and baking soda (photo 6). Mix until just combined to form the dough.
Fold in the chocolate chips (photo 7) and walnuts (photo 8) with a spatula until evenly distributed.
STEP 3. Fill and Bake
Fill the cast iron skillets about halfway with dough and pat evenly (see photo below). Top with sea salt (optional).
Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and set in the middle.
NOTE: the middle of the cookie will be a little gooey, it is supposed to be this way.
STEP 4. Cool
Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Once the cookie is done serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, cherries, or your favorite toppings! The scoops of ice cream are the perfect touch!
How to Make One Large Pizookie
To make one large Pizookie instead of four miniature skillet cookies:
- Use a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Follow the recipe as described adding all the dough to the prepared skillet.
- Bake for the same amount of time, checking for doneness.
Serve sliced into wedges or pass the spoons for shared dining.
How to Freeze the Dough for Later
Chocolate chip cookie dough freezes very well. This Pizookie dough is the same!
The skillet cookie dough can be kept in the freezer for 9-12 months.
If you’d like to save some of the dough for a future batch:
- Form a ball (doesn’t need to be perfect) and cover fully and tightly with cling plastic wrap.
- Place in a freezer storage bag, push out the air and seal tightly.
- Freeze until ready to use.
- Thaw until pliable in the refrigerator.
Miniature Cast Iron Skillets
Individual size cast iron skillets bring an excitement and charm to this recipe. It’s easy to serve too!
I have several mini cast iron skillets. I love using them for chilaquiles, individual portions of Mac and Cheese and more.
The skillets can be purchased online or at stores like Target or World Market.
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
- Triple Chocolate Wacky Cake with Chocolate-Stuffed Raspberries
- Chocolate Mint Truffle Cookies
- Mint M&M Forgotten Cookies
- Leprechaun Bait Bars: Gooey Mint Chocolate Bars
Chocolate Chip Pizookie (Skillet Cookie)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon large flake sea salt optional
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 4 6-inch cast iron pans
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add in vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add in the flour, salt and baking soda. Mix until just combined to form the dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts with a spatula until evenly distributed.
- Fill the cast iron skillets about halfway with dough and pat evenly. Top with sea salt (optional)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and set in the middle. NOTE: the middle of the cookie will be a little gooey, it is supposed to be this way.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- You can prepare two with this recipe or you can freeze the other half for another day. To freeze the dough dump into cling wrap and wrap tight. Add the ball of dough into a freezer safe Ziplock bag and freeze until ready to use.
- Once the cookie is done serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream, chocolate syrup, cherries, or get creative with your toppings!
This is as fun as is it delcious! it’s always a hit for a party or just as a family dessert.
These was unbelievably easy to make and the kids went crazy for it. Thanks for a great recipe!
Tara G says
Brilliant! Delicious and so easy to make!
I’ve made these with my kids several times and they are delicious! The kids love getting to pick an ice cream flavor to go on top.
Jyoti Behrani says
This chocolate chip cookie recipe is great!! It was delicious and easy to make. Thanks for the recipe and the clear instruction!