The Vegan Instant Pot Recipe: 4 Bean Chili is packed with big flavors and plant protein in a creamy tomato broth.
This 4 Bean Chili is a 30-minute, hearty dinner recipe requiring about 4 minutes active cooking from you! And you’ll never miss the meat!
Usually when January hits I naturally want to improve my eating habits. I max out on rich foods, cocktails, and an increase of desserts to what I normally eat. So, I wouldn’t say I have a resolution to do it but more that my system goes into rebellion craving healthier options, which is why this vegan instant pot recipe is perfect.
At the risk of sounding like an Instant Pot fanatic this week, I have grown to rely on it almost daily for everything from dinner, large pots of soups to get ahead, to making boiled chicken for a homemade treat for our puppy. It’s just so darn easy.
As mentioned when I shared the Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup recipe, the Instant Pot really delivers building great flavor with recipes like soups and stews. They taste like they’ve been simmering on the stove for hours when they have only cooked for minutes. Can’t beat that, right? For those without an Instant Pot you’ll find some great recipes at the bottom of the post!
In winter I love chunkier stews, soups and chilis. The texture goes a long way to fill hungry stomachs and warm them too. This 4 Bean Chili Vegan Instant Pot Recipe uses four of my favorite beans: black beans, red kidney beans, cannellini beans and great northern beans. The combination of the different size and color beans makes for an varied texture and great flavor.
Did you know beans are packed with protein, fiber, antioxidants and B vitamins? They are a very affordable source of plant protein so a great choice for those ‘meatless Mondays’ recipes. This Vegan Instant Pot Recipe: 4 Bean Chili is so hearty you won’t miss the meat, promise.
My Secret Tip for Wrangling the Bean Aftermath: many people avoid beans due to the digestive distress they experience. My tip is to add a strip of Kombu Seaweed, a dried seaweed available in the Asian section most grocery stores or online, to bean recipes.
It adds some subtle flavor (not a seaweed’y flavor) but most importantly contains enzymes that break down the sugars in beans which is what causes the digestive turmoil for those who get it. Remove the seaweed before serving the recipe.
How to make this awesome Vegan Instant Pot Recipe: 4 Bean Chili – Step by Step:
One thing I love about using the Instant Pot for this recipe is being able to cook the entire recipe from sauté to pressure cook leaving only the insert for clean-up versus multiple pans. Don’t let the length of the ingredient list scare you. Most of the ingredients are spices or canned so you can still prep everything in less than 10 minutes.
The onions and peppers are sautéed in the Instant Pot with the garlic added in too. The remaining spices, vegetable stock, tomato sauce, tomatoes and beans are added in and cooked on high pressure. The result is a flavor-packed recipe with a creamy consistency broth from the tomato sauce.
Mind-Blowing Instant Pot Tips You Need to Know!
After developing Instant Pot recipes for the past few years, I’ve uncovered some unexpected, useful tips I think you’ll want to know!
Sign-Up below and I’ll tell you all my Instant Pot secrets!
More Easy Chili Recipes to try:
- Instant Pot Southwestern Chili
- Slow Cooker Tangy Baked Bean Chili (vegetarian)
- Spicy White Chili
- Slow Cooker 3 Bean Winter Chili
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on BoulderLocavore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m up to!
Vegan Instant Pot Recipe: 4 Bean Chili
Instant Pot 4 Bean Chili (vegan)
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion peeled and chopped
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper seeded and chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves diced
- 3 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 1 Chipotle Pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon Adobo Sauce from the can of chipotle en adobo
- 2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 1 15-ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 1 15-ounce can Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can Canellini Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can Great Northern Beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Optional topping ideas
- torn cilantro leaves
- sour cream (if not vegan)
- shredded cheese (if not vegan)
- pickled jalapenos
- sliced avocados
- Select the SAUTE function on the Instant Pot. Heat the oil and add the onion, peppers and garlic. Saute until onion starts to soften (3-4 minutes).
- Add the chili powder, cumin and oregano; saute for an additional minute. NOTE: to avoid a burn warning on the Instant Pot ensure no food particles are sticking to the bottom of the insert before proceeding.
- Add the remaining ingredients, secure the lid, set the vent on SEALING and select MANUAL, High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- When complete, do a Natural Release for 10 minutes then release the remaining pressure manually, stir and serve. Garnish as desired.
Is this recipe intended for the 6-quart or the 8-quart instant pot?
Toni Dash says
Sue DeNardo says
This chilli looks really good but does anyone know how to make this in the instant pot using dried beans? It would be nice to throw dried beans and all the other items in one pot and cook it.
I did mine with dried beans, I did a cup of each, used diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce and an extra carton of veggie broth. I put it on manual pressure for 16 minutes and its so yummy
Toni Dash says
Thanks for sharing this Ally.
Eileen M Loya says
I would not miss having meat with this 4 bean chili recipe! I was reading through your ingredient list and I am so convinced that this would be hearty delicious! I have to make this soon.
That chili looks amazing! Would be perfect to have for dinner on these cold nights! Thanks for the recipe!
This is so tasty! We really loved the flavor and how easy it was to throw together!
Stefani Tolson says
That looks delicious! I need to put my Instant Pot back to use…
This is on our weekly meal plan! So delicious!