Based on recent review of the top pages Boulder Locavore readers are visiting, I think everyone is drinking (a lot), making homemade beauty/bath products and liqueurs with some gluten-free cookies sprinkled in for good measure. Despite this you have to eat. Today’s post is intended to get some warmed goodness worked into the holiday celebrating!
As December speeds along it always gets busier. Whether it’s working in last minute shopping as the holiday countdown continues, extra gatherings taking more of the time you don’t have, school performances, or holiday outings, the ability to stay on a predictable schedule becomes almost impossible (in our household at least). The slow cooker becomes your best friend at this time of year. Load it up and dinner is ready, kept warm for family to dip into as they run in and out for different obligations.
I do love chili in the cold months and have shared a few favorites on Boulder Locavore: Big Red Barn Chili, Buffalo and Black Bean Chili, Spicy White Chili, and Slow Cooker Pumpkin White Bean Sausage Chili. I will admit I typically love meat in chili however created this recipe for 3 Bean Chili, somewhat out of necessity on a snowy day as well as wanting a carnivore break. I is hearty and filling, bursting with bold flavors and I don’t think any of my family realized the meat wasn’t present……or that I’d snuck yams into the recipe either (shhhhhh).
Sweet potatoes and yams are a controversial vegetable. People either love or hate them it seems. They are very nutritious with B-complex vitamins, antioxidant rich Vitamin C, loads of minerals and fiber. When included in a recipe such as stew or chili I find they blend in adding a nice texture and a discrete flavor which can be missed by those less inclined to try them (especially when adding spicy seasonings as in this chili). Beans are a great source of non-meat protein as well making this a robust and satisfying meal. Chili is always great as leftovers too as the flavors often deepen the next day!
Serve with this delicious Cornbread recipe!
Slow Cooker 3 Bean Winter Chili
- 1 large Yam or Sweet Potato , peeled and small cubed (4 cups)
- 1 large Yellow Onion , chopped (2 + cups)
- 2 28- ounce cans Whole Tomatoes , blended with their juice
- 1 large Red Sweet Pepper , chopped (1 cup)
- 1 15- ounce can Black Beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 15- ounce can Pinto Beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 15- ounce can Great Northern Beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 Chipotle Pepper en Adobo sauce , chopped
- 1 cup Corn , fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a large slow cooker (6 quarts or more).
- Cook on High for 7 hours.