Spicy Sausage Skillet Lasagna delivers favorite comfort food in about half the time as traditional oven-baked lasagna. Hot Italian sausage and spicy Fra Diavolo sauce take the flavors up a notch. Spicy Sausage Skillet Lasagna is a vibrant recipe that is hearty, filling.
It’s also faster to make (all on the stove top) than a traditional oven-baked lasagna.
A few surprise ingredients boost nutrition too (but no one will be the wiser).
May be made with gluten-free or gluten lasagna noodles.
Spicy Sausage Skillet Lasagna has all the traditional lasagna ingredients you love.
Tthe method of preparing and cooking it whips up a main dish in 35 minutes making it a contender for a busy weeknight as well as weekends.
Spicy Sausage Skillet Lasagna
I think you’ll join me in excitement about this Spicy Sausage Skillet Lasagna.
The spices in the sauce and sausage are the central focus leaving extra seasoning unnecessary.
It has the creamy, cheesy texture and flavor we love.
And can be made with gluten-free or gluten lasagna noodles!
A Secret About this Skillet Lasagna Recipe
Spicy Sausage Skillet Lasagna also includes the addition of a healthy dose of vegetables.
Don’t tell because my kids have no idea about this part!
I add 1 ½ cups of vegetables to the lasagna boosting the nutrition without overtaking the flavor.
My favorite combination is fresh torn spinach leaves, butternut squash puree or grated butternut squash and chopped mushrooms (I love cremini mushrooms or a mix).
With the spicy sauce and sausage no one is the wiser and I feel good about the wholesome ingredients.
Time Saving Preparation Tips
I have a few tricks to make the prep easier and faster.
I use a mini chopper for everything. It processes the onions in seconds to a perfect dice.
When boiling the lasagna noodles, they become slippery.
They can be drained in a colander however I like using a hand held strainer and silicon tip tongs.
The allows everything to happen on the stove top.
The lasagna noodles are scooped up, with water draining back into the pot and the tongs grip the slippery noodles and place them exactly where you want them in the skillet.
Skillet Lasagna Recipe Variations
This is a very flexible recipe.
To Make it Less Spicy
If you aren’t one who loves spicy flavors, swap out the hot Italian sausage for mild or sweet Italian sausage.
Tone down from the hot Fra Diavolo sauce to a traditional Mainara pasta sauce. If doing so addition of some Italian spices may be needed for depth of flavor.
Type of Ricotta Cheese
Low fat or full fat ricotta cheese may be used.
Swap out for vegetables you love if this combination isn’t for you; zucchini, grated carrots, eggplant, sweet peppers or other types of squash or pumpkin.
More Delicious Lasagna Recipes
- Fast and Easy Gluten-Free Meat Lasagna
- Gluten-Free Meat Lasagna Roll Ups
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
- Mexican Lasagna with Hatch Chilies
Please SUBSCRIBE and FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK , TWITTER , INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST !
Spicy Sausage Skillet Lasagna
- 7 Dry Lasagna Noodles (gluten-free or regular) broken into 2-3" lengths
- 1 pound bulk/loose Hot Italian Sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped Yellow Onion
- 1/2 cup fresh Spinach leaves rinsed and torn
- 1/2 cup Butternut Squash puree or grated
- 1/2 cup chopped Mushrooms
- 26 ounces Fra Diavolo (‘Brother Devil’) pasta sauce
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Mozzarella or Italian Blend Cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Boil lasagna according to the package details. Drain. NOTE: for ‘oven ready’ noodles boil for 10 minutes and drain.
- While the lasagna noodles are boiling, In a 12 inch skillet (with a lid) cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink. Break sausage up while cooking so it is in small pieces.
- Add the vegetables and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they’ve begun to cook and are mixed fully with the sausage. Drain any fat and remove from skillet.
- Pour ¼ cup of the pasta sauce into the bottom of the same skillet and spread to lightly coat. Arrange half of the boiled lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Cover noodles with half of the remaining sauce. Spoon meat mixture evenly on top of the pasta sauce.
- Spoon ricotta cheese over the meat mixture in small mounds and sprinkle with ¼ cup of the mozzarella/Italian blend cheese. Place the remaining lasagna noodles on the cheese layer.
- Top with remaining pasta sauce and mozzarella/Italian blend cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano to top.
- Over medium heat cook lasagna, covered, for approximately 10 minutes or until warmed through and cheese has melted. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes uncovered before serving.
Originally published: January 26, 2012
This was such a great dinner recipe. Everyone in my family loved it.
My family went nuts for this! So much easier than a traditional lasagna and every bit as tasty!
Such a great idea! I love how you can make this in a skillet! Love the spice too.
I haven’t made lasagna in ages. I need to make this.
This was an amazing dish! I love the ease and convenience of doing it in a skillet, too. Genius!