Savory soups prepared in a slow cooker are both easy to make and infused with great flavors. Slow Cooker Spicy Chorizo Green Chile Cannellini Bean Soup is hearty, spicy and filling. Perfect to warm the insides on a cozy winter’s eve.
I wasn’t sure how to start this post and my cheeky teen suggested “It was a dark and stormy night and all I could think about was my need for soup.” Going on to say “as the soup sloshed on the sides of the bowl, all I could imagine was a tiny ship riding the waves”.
While she waxed poetic, I had to acknowledge that indeed all I do think about these days is soup; whether on a dark and stormy night or at 6 a.m. on a frigid winter’s morn. We are currently undergoing ‘a warming trend’ which means the temperature has reached into the 40’s, only to plummet back into the depths of our glacial norm, complete with more snow, in the next days. Sadly, the 40’s were a detectable difference, leading me to realize how cold the 20’s really are.
The mini spike of 20 degrees did not take my slow cooker out of commission. It has been in use almost daily, filling the house with gorgeous, homey smells and the promise of warmth and full stomachs….with little effort from me. The trick of the slow cooker is of course the ingredients and the right match up produces a dish that easily could be believed to have required hours of preparation, multiple dirty pots to wash and toiling over a hot stove. Not so.
Today’s recipe not only offers a mere 15 minutes of preparation but a bold soup with spicy flavors and only seven ingredients. Seriously. Slow Cooker Spicy Chorizo Green Chile Cannellini Bean Soup. The chorizo does not need to be pre-cooked and delivers robust flavor and heat. The cannellini beans bring filling substance and the green chilies their distinct flavor.
Unlike my lyrical offspring, I don’t think this soup needs any romantic description. It’s simple. It’s easy and it’s good. Really good.
Slow Cooker Spicy Chorizo Green Chile Cannellini Bean Soup
- ½ large Yellow Onion , peeled and chopped
- 2 medium Carrots , scrubbed, top removed and chopped
- 2 large stalks Celery , scrubbed, trimmed and chopped
- 14 – 16 ounces ground Chorizo
- 2 14.5- ounce cans Cannellini Beans , drained
- 1 4- ounce can Mild Green Chilies
- 6 cups low sodium Chicken Stock
- Garnish: chopped cilantro
- Add the vegetables to the bottom of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker. Break the chorizo into small pieces and layer on top of the vegetables. Add the beans and green chilies, followed by the chicken stock. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours (or on LOW for 6-8 hours). If desired the red, rendered fat from the chorizo can be skimmed off the top of the soup with a spoon and discarded. Also if refrigerated the fat will solidify and is easily removed before reheating. Serve with a sprinkling of cilantro leaves and some crusty rolls.