Chicken Soup with Sweet Potato Noodle Soup is light, packed with wholesome ingredients and great texture making it a healthy, satisfying option! Stove top and Instant Pot instructions.
There is nothing more satisfying than a steaming hot bowl of hearty chicken noodle soup on a cold day.
I have a great recipe to enjoy all the things you love about chicken noodle soup in a whole new way: Skinny Chicken and Sweet Potato Noodle Soup.
It’s full of wholesome, simple ingredients, great flavor and it’s easy to make.
Homey Chicken Soup
Somewhere in everyone’s past is a family chicken soup memory.
Whether their Grandma made it from scratch or their mother made it from a can.
It is a flavor footprint associated with warmth and goodness.
It’s a staple in my house whenever someone is coming down with a cold.
This chicken noodle soup is no different. It’s a homemade comfort food recipe.
What’s in this chicken soup recipe?
- Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Garlic Cloves
- Ginger Root
- Chicken Stock
- Italian Parsley
- Fresh Thyme Leaves
- Cooked Chicken Breast meat, chopped or shredded
- Sweet Potato Noodles
- Salt and Pepper to taste
The trio of onion, carrots and celery are a classic for making flavorful soup. Also called ‘mirepoix’ (meer-pwa), they combine to build a delicious stock base for homemade soups.
This low-calorie soup recipe is a perfect one to use leftover chicken breast meat.
Prepared chicken lessens the cooking time while still lending the flavor and texture we love about chicken noodle soup.
Chicken breasts can be prepared quickly or purchased as a rotisserie chicken, and are a great lean protein choice.
Chicken breast can also be used from a store purchased rotisserie chicken.
If making shredded chicken I recommend this shredded chicken recipe. It’s moist and delicious every time.
Sweet Potato Noodles
Originally, I considered making the noodles from white potatoes, which you certainly can do.
For this chicken soup I decided on a sweet potato noodles instead.
Their higher dietary fiber (makes you feel fuller), higher Vitamin A and they add color to the soup.
Sweet Potato noodles have the texture of spaghetti noodles when cooked and they add great nutrition to the soup.
There are several ways to make or buy sweet potato noodles.
PRO TIP: Sweet Potato noodles should not be boiled!
Simmering for 5-10 minutes is all they need for a firm but cooked end result.
Use a Spiralizer
I use my Spiralizer to create the sweet potato noodles. It’s fast and easy. Instructions included below.
This is the the Spiralizer I use.
Use a Julienne Peeler
If you don’t have a Spiralizer using a julienne peeler is a great way to make vegetables noodles.
Simply pull the slicer down the length of the sweet potato to make noodles.
Check the prepared produce area of your grocery store. Whole Foods for instance has fruits and vegetables prepared in multiple ways, including prepared vegetable noodles.
How to Make Sweet Potato Noodles with a Spiralizer
- Peel the sweet potato. Insert the 3mm or 1/8-inch noodle blade.
- Cut each end to create a flat surface to secure into the Spiralizer.
- Spiralize the noodles.
How to Make Chicken and Sweet Potato Noodle soup (Stove Top) – Step-by-Step
STEP 1: Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stock pot or Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
STEP 2: Add celery, carrots and ginger. Sauté 2 more minutes.
STEP 3: Add the chicken stock, and herbs. Bring to a low boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
STEP 4: Add chicken and simmer 10 more minutes.
STEP 5: Add the sweet potato noodles and lemon juice. Cook 5-10 more minutes until the sweet potato noodles are ‘al dente’ (still firm but cooked). Salt and pepper to taste.
Make it in an Instant Pot
This soup is easy to make in an Instant Pot too.
The Instant Pot develops great flavor quickly due to the pressure cooking.
It also does not need to be monitored as with cooking on the stove top.
If cooking in the Instant Pot the soup can be made with raw chicken which will cook with the broth or adding prepared chicken at the end.
Both methods are included in the recipe.
Instructions for cooking the soup in the Instant Pot are included in the recipe card below.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love!
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Hearty Vegetable Cabbage Soup
- Jalapeno Turkey Noodle Soup
- Coconut Curry Turkey Rice Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Easy Chicken Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
Try these Recipes Too!
- Muffin Tin Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- Green Chile Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
- 10 Fantastic Spiralizer Recipes
- Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
Skinny Chicken and Sweet Potato Noodle Soup
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- ½ medium Yellow Onion chopped
- 2 large Garlic Cloves diced
- 2 medium stalks Celery rinsed, scrubbed and sliced
- 1 medium Carrot scrubbed and sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoon diced fresh Ginger Root
- 6 cups low sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian Parsley diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh Thyme leaves
- 1 heaping cup prepared Chicken Breast meat shredded or chopped
- 1 cup Spiralized* Sweet Potato noodles (using the 1/8-inch 3mm noodle blade)
- 1 teaspoon fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Instant Pot preparation adaptation
- 1/2 pound Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts **use only if cooking the chicken IN the Instant Pot. Otherwise use the prepared chicken specified above.
Stove Top preparation
- In a large stock pot or sauce pan, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots and ginger and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, parsley and thyme; bring to a low boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add the chicken and allow to continue simmering for 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato noodles and lemon juice. Cook 5-10 more minutes until the sweet potato noodles are ‘al dente’ (still firm but cooked). Salt and pepper to taste.
Instant Pot preparation
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE function and add the olive oil. When hot add the onions and garlic; cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots and ginger; cook 2 additional minutes. Cancel Saute function.
- Add the chicken stock, parsley and thyme. NOTE: If using raw chicken, add it now.
- Seal the Instant Pot, place the vent on seal. Select Manual High Pressure and 15
- When the cooking is complete, do a Quick Release and allow the Instant Pot to stay on the WARM setting.
- Remove the lid and the chicken (if cooking it). Shred the chicken using 2 forks OR this technique and return it to the Instant Pot. NOTE: If using prepared chicken add it to the Instant Pot now.
- Add the sweet potato noodles and the lemon juice. Allow the noodles to sit in the soup for 5-10 minutes until they soften and are warmed through. DO NOT BOIL the noodles.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Originally published: January 4, 2015
This skinny Chicken Soup with Sweet Potato Noodles is a wholesome, comfort food recipe anytime of the year.