Love holiday baked goods but aren’t into actually baking? Boozy Pecan Rum Balls are a no bake treat that is perfect adult treat or a homemade gift! Make them regular or gluten-free too.
Holiday foods always bring on the cheers and Pecan Rum Balls do just that!
These classic no-bake treats are easy to make.
Their flavor continues to develop so they are perfect to make ahead for a special occasion or for gifts.
I won’t lie, they taste like eating a sweet cocktail. The rum is distinct, and that’s their charm.
You will have tried Rum Balls somewhere before.
They have been on the mixed Christmas cookie tray at company parties. And your Grandmother probably made them too.
They are a classic that never goes out of style.
What are Rum Balls made of?
These no bake beauties are packed with flavor.
Melted chocolate, vanilla wafer and graham cracker crumbs (I used gluten-free for both), sweetened and rolled into balls coated with diced pecans.
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Granulated Sugar
- Light Corn Syrup
- Vanilla Wafers crumbs – crumbs can be made by processing vanilla wafers in a food processor or mini chopper. Regular or gluten-free wafers may be used.
- Graham Cracker crumbs – store bought cracker crumbs or homemade may be used. See notes in vanilla wafers crumbs above.
- diced Pecans
What is the Best Type of Rum to Use?
Any rum works though Dark Rum is most commonly used.
Try other types of rum (even Coconut Rum) or alcohol like whisky or bourbon!
Can Kids eat Rum Balls?
Because they have alcohol in them these rum balls are not recommended for children.
How to Make it – Step-by-Step
There are two main steps for making these treats: making the mixture and chilling and creating the actual balls.
STEP 1: Melt the chocolate chips stirring until smooth.
STEP 2: In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate with the sugar and corn syrup; stir to combine. Stir in the rum and mix until fully incorporated.
STEP 3: Add the vanilla wafer crumbs and graham cracker crumbs; stir to fully combine. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until firm (at least 1 hour).
STEP 4: Scoop out 1-inch diameter balls. TIP: Use a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop to make this go faster. Roll balls between palms to smooth them.
STEP 5: Roll the balls in the diced pecans.
Store in a sealed container. The flavor will continue to intensify for up to a week.
Other Coating Options
The rum balls can be rolled in powdered sugar, cocoa powder or even diced shredded coconut.
Using a tablespoon cookie scoop is the quickest way to create balls and then roll them between your palms.
The secret to getting a full coating of pecans is to put them in the palms of your hands and roll them into the balls! Your hands will get chocolately but this method is worth the end result.
To dust the finished balls with confectioner’s sugar using a confectioner’s sugar shaker. It allows a light dusting while filtering out any lumps.
Make your own crumbs. You can use your favorite brands of graham crackers and vanilla wafers (regular OR gluten-free). I use a mini chopper to make crumbs since it manages a smaller batch than a food processor does (though a food processor can also be used).
Just add the cookies into the chopper/processor and pulverize until fine crumbs are produced. I also use the mini chopper for all my recipe prep that calls for chopping or dicing!
They can be made a week prior to serving to allow the flavors to blend.
More Holiday Recipes You’ll Love!
- Slow Cooker Hot Buttered Rum
- Candied Pecans with Cinnamon Sugar
- Cranberry White Chocolate Pecan cookies
Pecan Rum Balls (a no bake recipe)
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 cup Rum
- 2 cups Vanilla Wafers crumbs regular or gluten-free
- 1/2 cup Graham Cracker crumbs regular or gluten-free
- 1 cup finely diced Pecans
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips using the Melt function or cooking at 50% power for 1 minutes, then in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until the chocolate has melted and is smooth.
- Stir the sugar and corn syrup into the melted chocolate to combine. Stir in the rum and mix until it is fully incorporated.
- Stir in the vanilla wafers crumbs and graham crackers. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until firm (at least 1 hour).
- Scoop out bite-size balls approximately 1-inch diameter (note: using a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop for this is highly recommended) and roll between your palms to make them into smooth balls.
- Roll them in the diced pecans. Store in a sealed container. The flavor deepens after making so may be made a week before planning to eat them or giving them as gifts.