Calling all Mexican food lovers! Lean Turkey Black Bean Quinoa Chipotle Burrito Bowls are a packed-with-flavor spin on traditional burritos without the flour tortilla (you can have them on the side!) and bumping up the protein. Whether you are gluten-free or just want a fast weeknight dinner OR food for a crowd, you’ll love this simple recipe!
I would wager there is not anyone who loves Mexican food more than I do. Any of you feel the same way? I love the colors, textures and certainly the earthy flavors and spicy heat. Crunchy tacos, gooey cheesy quesadillas, earthy chicken mole, spicy enchiladas. Will someone please pass me a Margarita right now?
Being gluten-free has left me making different choices on the Mexican food menu other than burritos. They are made with flour tortillas so not available ‘gluten-free’ when dining out, and generally I have not had good success making them with gluten-free flour tortillas at home. That won’t stop me from enjoying the best part though: the filling. Lean Turkey Black Bean Quinoa Chipotle Burrito Bowls are all that and more.
‘Lean Turkey Black Bean Quinoa Chipotle Burrito Bowls’. Saying the name reminds me of elementary school girls’ names that were overly long and seemed to teeter totter up and down until reaching the final syllable. Yes, it is a mouthful BUT it’s a mouthful you’ll love!
Lean Turkey Black Bean Quinoa Chipotle Burrito Bowls are filling and robust, with great fresh flavor. They also are high in protein and lean in fat. It’s a meal in a bowl that’s easy to prepare, is portable and naturally gluten-free.
I love this spin on Fresh-Mex. It’s a fun change up of traditional Mexican food with a healthy twist. Lean ground turkey is sautéed with onions and spices. Prepared black beans, quinoa, green chilies are added for a fast full-flavored dish. Lastly, they are piled high with typical fresh Mexican food toppings such as crisp refreshing lettuce, chopped fresh tomatoes, grated cheese, salsa, guacamole, crema, jalapeno slices and more.
GLUTEN-FREE BURRITO BOWLS FOR A CROWD
Lean Turkey Black Bean Quinoa Chipotle Burrito Bowls are a great option for a crowd. Prepare the meat and bean portion of the recipe (and you can double it maintaining the same proportions). Serve in a buffet or bar style with toppings in different containers for diners to customize for their preferences. Super easy, super good! Great for Cinco de Mayo celebrations! Don’t forget the Agua Fresca too.
If you love Mexican food and want a great recipe for a crowd or a fast weekenight, Lean Turkey Black Bean Quinoa Chipotle Burrito Bowls are just the ticket! Naturally gluten-free, all the best parts of a burrito are loaded Fresh-Mex bowls. High in protein and lean on fat, these bowls make a filling, satisfying meal for any size group!
Lean Turkey Black Bean Quinoa Chipotle Burrito Bowls
- ½ medium Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons ground Cumin
- 1 15 ounce can Black Beans , drained and rinsed
- ½ cup Corn Kernels (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 cup prepared Quinoa
- 1 4 ounce can Green Chilies , mild or hot depending on your personal preference; drained
- 2 teaspoons Adobo Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Powder
- ½ cup Salsa; mild suggested but medium or hot if preferred
- Suggested Toppings: Shredded Lettuce , chopped tomatoes, grated cheese, avocado slices, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, chopped cilantro, pickled jalapenos
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté the onions until translucent; 4-5 minutes approximately.
- Add the turkey, garlic powder and cumin. Sauté until the turkey becomes opaque white.
- Add the black beans, corn, quinoa, green chilies, adobo sauce, cayenne, salsa. Cook over medium heat until all ingredients are well blended and heated through.
Assembling the Burrito Bowls:
- Select bowls for individual serving. Add 1 cup of the turkey mixture. Layer the selected toppings over the meat and serve immediately.