Mouthwatering and Irresistible Lemon-Garlic Braised Chicken Thighs are a fast dinner recipe packed with flavor. Chicken thighs are seared to crisp the skin and braised in the oven for succulent chicken and delicious sauce!
This delicious post was originally shared in February 2016 and has been updated in February 2018!
I love creating great tasting recipes that are quick and easy to make. Chicken is definitely a universal favorite. Chicken recipes posted on my Pinterest boards are gobbled up and repinned immediately! People do love their chicken! Today I’m sharing a favorite: Irresistible Lemon-Garlic Braised Chicken Thighs.
What is Braising?
Braising is a combination cooking method of searing meat at high heat on the stove top and then finished it, usually with vegetables added, in liquid in the oven. It is a very easy way to cook and creates a one pot meal that is full of flavor as well as moist, tender meat. It’s a wonderful method for less expensive cuts of meat filling them with flavor and rendering them very tender.
Why Braise Chicken?
Braising chicken in aromatic liquids infuses it with flavor while tenderizing it. Braising is a very easy cooking method with little active cooking involvement from the home chef, and it’s a fast way to get dinner on the table! Once the recipe comes out of the oven, dinner is served. These braised chicken thighs are a perfect example of why this cooking method is well-loved!
Chicken thighs are my absolute favorite part of a chicken. As much as people love chicken breasts for their low fat appeal, chicken thighs trump for flavor and great texture. When braisied they take on the flavors of the liquid they are cooked in and become fall-off-the-bone tender.
How to make Irresistible Lemon-Garlic Braised Chicken Thighs – Step by Step:
The first step in making this braised chicken thigh recipe is searing the chicken thighs on high heat to seal the juices and creat glorious cripsy skin! The chicken thighs are removed from the skillet and garlic and shallots added to cook briefly.
Lemon juice and chicken broth are added to deglaze the pan, the chicken is added back and the skillet is covered to cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Super simple. Potato wedges could be added to the skillet before going into the oven too. Or strain the pan juices after cooking and drizzle over the chicken with some Roasted Lavender Potatoes!
More Easy Chicken Recipes You’ll Love:
- Fast and Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Salt and Pepper Roasted Chicken Thighs
- Mexican Chicken and Rice Skillet
If you’ve tried these Irresistible Lemon-Garlic Braised Chicken Thighs or any other recipe on BoulderLocavore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m up to!
Irresistible Lemon-Garlic Chicken Thighs
Searing chicken thighs leaves the skin crisp, and the meat succulent. The braising process fully develops the flavors and a lovely broth perfect to drizzle over the chicken when serving.
TIP: Selecting uniformly sized chicken thighs will allow the most uniform cooking results.
- 8 bone-in skin-on Chicken Thighs
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 6 Garlic Cloves , diced
- 1 cup chopped Shallot
- ½ cup Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Chicken Broth/Stock
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Rinse chicken thighs and pat dry with a paper towel. Salt and Pepper on both sides.
- In a large oven-proof skillet with high sides and a lid (or a braising pan), melt the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and brown on both sides. _Note: turning the thighs helps ensure the skin will not stick to the pan and separate from the chicken._Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic and shallots to the pan and sauté until the shallots become limp; about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and chicken broth/stock to the pan and stir to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer and add the chicken thighs back to the pan.
- Place the lid on the pan and put the pan in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken thighs reaches 160-165 degrees (it will continue to cook when removed from the oven).
- Remove chicken from the skillet. If desired, strain the cooking liquid through a sieve to drizzle over chicken when served.