Funfetti Cake feels like a party is happening! Any day turns into a celebration when this easy homemade cake loaded with colorful sprinkles is served.
Funfetti cake is a classic birthday cake but it doesn’t have to come from a funfetti cake mix! That’s right, you can make it yourself from scratch.
The secret? Sprinkles make the wonderful colored bits inside.
Our recipe is baked like a Texas sheet cake so there is plenty for everyone to enjoy! It’s sure to be a good time whenever this delicious cake is served.
Homemade Funfetti Cake
There is no other cake that can bring a smile to anyone’s face more than Funfetti Cake.
In the event you’ve never had it, it’s a vanilla cake full of colorful little spots thanks to sprinkles that bake into the cake. It’s made with simple ingredients available from any grocery store.
Our version couldn’t be easier made as a Texas sheet cake. Instead of round cake pans, this style of cake is a single layer cake baked in a rimmed baking sheet. The servings are only about an inch or so in depth but it makes plenty to feed a crowd.
Homemade vanilla buttercream frosts the top which is covered with plenty of sprinkles too!
This sprinkle cake is always a huge hit! I’ve been told more than once that this homemade version is the best funfetti cake!
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
Granulated sugar. Sweetens the cake.
All Purpose Flour. Regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure can be used. We recommend Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour for the gluten-free version. Cake flour is not needed for this confetti cake.
Baking Soda. This helps the cake rise.
Salt. We recommend using Kosher salt which is a less salty flavored salt.
Unsalted butter. Some will be used melted for the cake and you’ll need room temperature butter for the frosting.
Vanilla yogurt. Plain yogurt with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract stirred in can also be subsituted.
Eggs. Three large eggs.
Sprinkles. To make the cake a true funfetti the best sprinkles to use are rainbow jimmies. They hold their color and work best.
Nonpareils tend to bleed during the baking process. More will be used on the finished cake and any type work (rainbow sprinkles are very festive).
Powdered sugar. Also called confectioners’ sugar, will be used to make the buttercream frosting.
Vanilla extract. Used to give the frosting wonderful flavor.
Heavy whipping cream. This is used in the frosting.
Frosting thickness. This recipe will provide enough for a thin layer of buttercream frosting. If a thick, fluffy layer is desired double the frosting recipe.
Swap milk for the heavy cream. The heavy whipping cream is used for a rich flavor although regular milk can also be swapped in instead.
Make chocolate frosting instead. Funfetti cake is traditionally made with a vanilla frosting, chocolate lovers can turn this into chocolate cake (well, chocolate frosting really)! Add 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the frosting during the first step.
Make it in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan instead. If you do not have a rimmed cookie sheet or prefer a baking pan, make this in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan instead.
The cooking time will need to be extended; check the cake at the 20 minute mark and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes at a time until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
How to make Funfetti Cake – Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Preparation
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Spray a 12-inch by 17-inch rimmed baking sheet (cookie sheet) with 1 1/2-2 inch sides with nonstick spray (photo 7). Spray the bottom and sides of the pan.
STEP 2. Make the funfetti cake batter
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: sugar, flour, salt, and baking soda (photo 1).
Add the wet ingredients: melted butter and water, mixing until combined (photos 2-3).
Stir in the yogurt (photo 4).
Add the eggs, one at a time and mixing between each addition (photo 5).
Gently fold in the sprinkles (photo 6).
STEP 3. Bake the cake
Pour the batter into the prepared pan (photo 8) and bake for 20 minutes bake time, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting (photo 9).
STEP 4. Make the vanilla buttercream frosting
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and powdered sugar together on high speed until fully combined and creamy (photos 10-11).
Add the vanilla, salt and 6 tablespoons of heavy cream. Beat until well combined with a fluffy texture (photos 12-13).
NOTE: If the frosting is too thick to easily spread, then add the remaining 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
STEP 5. Frost the cake
Using a scoop or a spoon, drop large mounds of icing over the top of the cake (the entire cake –photo 14).
Use a spatula (regular or offset spatula )or knife to spread the frosting to the edges (photo 15). Top with the sprinkles topping (photo 16).
How to Store it
Store covered tightly with plastic wrap or in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
More recipes you’ll love!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour regular or gluten-free measure-for-measure flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt Plain yogurt can be used, just add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to the batter in addition to the plain yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup sprinkles jimmies work best
- ½ cup unsalted butter 1 stick – softened
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6-8 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sprinkles for decorating any kind of sprinkles will work
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 12-inch by 17-inch (1 ½ – 2 inch high sides) baking/cookie sheet with a non-stick spray. Make sure to spray both the bottom and sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add in the melted butter and water, mixing until combined.
- Mix in the yogurt until combined.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time and mixing between each addition. Gently fold in the sprinkles.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
Prepare the frosting
- In a large bowl, using a hand or stand mixer, mix the butter and powdered sugar together until fully combined and creamy.
- Add in the vanilla, 6 tablespoons of heavy cream and salt: mix until well combined. NOTE: If the frosting is too thick to easily spread, then add the remaining 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Using a scoop or a spoon, drop large mounds of icing all over the cake. Use a spatula or knife to spread the frosting to the edges.
- Top with the sprinkles topping.
- Store covered at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days (tightly covered or in an airtight container).