Homemade Granola is a perfect start to the day, a wholesome snack or great topping on so many things. Making your own granola is easy and delicious! You’ll have trouble keeping it around!
Sweet granola is a favorite of breakfast foods. Great texture, wonderful flavors, satisfying and nutrition-packed.
This healthy homemade granola is not like the hard clumpy granola from the store that is painful to eat. The ingredients blend into a wonderful crisp texture without a chunky granola consistency.
You’ll love it on so many things! We share some favorite ideas below!
Easy Homemade Granola
Granola is one of those foods that it seems like you need to buy at the store. If you love granola, once you make this basic granola recipe you’ll be filled with ideas how to change it up.
This will become on of your favorite granola recipes! In fact we make a double batch now because it gets eaten so quickly.
The toasty smell as it bakes is so homey and the recipe uses basic ingredients available at the grocery store.
This is a loose granola not a hard clumpy texture.
In addition to breakfast there are so many ways to enjoy the granola! After one bite you’ll think of lots more.
Recipe Ingredients + Notes
Coconut oil. Start with liquid coconut oil. If it is solid melt it over low heat on the stove top or in the microwave.
Maple syrup. Pure maple syrup is a natural sweetener perfect for this healthy granola recipe.
Vanilla extract. Gives a homey flavor.
Cinnamon. Adds a warming spice note. Other spices can be used instead like pumpkin spice blends in the fall.
Old-fashioned Oats. Also called rolled oats. Regular or gluten-free oats can be used. For gluten-free granola be sure to use oats labeled as gluten-free. Do not use quick oats for this recipe.
Pecan. Use chopped pecans.
Almonds. Rough chopped raw almonds work best.
Shredded coconut. Sweetened or unsweetened can be used.
Flaked coconut. Use unsweetened coconut flakes.
Pumpkin seeds. You’ll use pepitas which are the soft green center of the pumpkin seed.
Add some dried fruit. Chopped dried fruits can be mixed into the base recipe.
Add more seeds. Chia seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seed, hemp hulls all would add some delicious nutrition to the great recipe.
Use different nuts. If you have favorite nuts instead of these, swap them in!
Swap in honey. If desired (and not vegan) honey can be used instead of maple syrup.
How to make Homemade Granola – Step-by-Step
STEP 1. Preparation
Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line a rimmed baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
STEP 2. Make the granola
In a large bowl combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cinnamon (photo 1). Whisk to fully combine.
Add the rolled oats and stir until oats are well coated (photo 2).
Stir in the pecans, almonds, shredded coconut, flaked coconut and pumpkin seeds to combine (photo 3-4).
Spoon the granola mixture onto the prepared baking sheet spread evenly over the pan (photo 5).
STEP 3. Bake the granola
Bake it for 20 to 25 minutes or until granola is golden brown and crunchy (before baking photo 6; after baking photo 7).
How to Store it
Store the cooled granola in an airtight container or large Mason jar with a lid for up to two weeks.
How to eat it!
- Homemade granola bars
- In a yogurt parfait
- As a healthy snack
- Topping over fresh fruit or Greek yogurt
- After school snack
- Ice cream topping
- On top of apple pie recipes
- On top of a smoothie bowl
- To make granola energy bites
- ½ cup coconut oil should be liquid when beginning the recipe not solid
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats regular or gluten-free
- 1 cup chopped pecan
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add rolled oats and stir until oats are well coated.
- Add chopped pecans, chopped almonds, shredded coconut, flaked coconut and pumpkin seeds. Stir to combine.
- Place granola in the prepared baking tray and extend it evenly.
- Bake it for 20 to 25 minutes or until granola is golden brown and crunchy. Allow to cool.
- Store it in an airtight container or jar with a lid for up to two weeks.
- Regular or gluten-free rolled oats can be used. To make the granola gluten-free the oats must be labelled gluten-free
- Do not use instant oats for this recipe
- Add some dried fruit. Chopped dried fruits can be mixed into the base recipe.
- Add more seeds. Chia seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seed, hemp hulls all would add some delicious nutrition to the great recipe.
- Use different nuts. If you have favorite nuts instead of these, swap them in!
- Swap in honey. If desired (and not vegan) honey can be used instead of maple syrup.
- As a breakfast cereal with milk or yogurt
- As a snack
- As a topping: on pies, ice cream, yogurt, fruit
- In granola bars or energy bites