Homemade Strawberry-Infused Vodka + 3 Strawberry Vodka Cocktail recipes

For regular readers it may feel like it’s been Strawberry-A-Go-Go on my blog for the last few weeks.  I apologize if I’ve put you into strawberry overload but ‘tis the season!  This is the last recipe for strawberry fare for now and hopefully worth waiting for.
I felt creating some strawberry infused vodka would be a fun use of the beautiful ripe berries and a fresh mixology option for the hotter months.  Never having consumed strawberry vodka, I created a few cocktails to use it as well.

Infusing alcohol is very simple.  You are transferring the flavor of whatever you are using as a source into a neutrally flavored alcoholic.  After combining your infusing blend I store mine in a cool, dark place (like a pantry or cupboard).  I turn the jar over and back upright once a day to move things around and that’s it.  I published a recipe earlier this year on infusing vodka with apples.  I stored it two weeks before using and elected to remove the apples as they turn brown and frankly look unappetizing.  The vodka was delicious and I grew very fond of an occasional Apple Vodka Tonic during the winter.
When making the strawberry vodka within a day the color of the strawberries began to transfer to the vodka and within a week the strawberries look albino and the vodka dark pink.  I’ve left my strawberries in the vodka but you can also remove them if you choose.

STRAWBERRY INFUSED VODKA
Ingredients/Supplies:
·         1 quart capacity jar with lid
·         2 cups of fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
·         2 ½ cups neutral flavor vodka
Wash and dry jar.  Add strawberries and vodka.  Seal.  Place in a cool dark place.  Let sit for one week.  Enjoy!

The strawberry vodka after 24 hours.  Note the color transfer already.

Strawberry Vodka Ginger Cooler

STRAWBERRY VODKA GINGER COOLER
Serves: 1
·         1 ½ ounces strawberry-infused vodka
·         1 ½ ounces ginger ale
·         Seltzer water
Fill a tall 16 ounce glass with ice.  Add strawberry-infused vodka and ginger ale to the glass.  Fill with seltzer water.
Strawberry Vodka Lemonade

STRAWBERRY VODKA LEMONADE
This combination is very refreshing.  The lemon Italian soda is lighter than lemonade and does not have the same heavy, sugar taste a regular lemonade does……though that would probably be good too!
Serves:  1
·         1 ounce strawberry vodka
·         Lemon Italian Soda (I used a ‘Limoncello Italian Soda’ which does not contain limoncello but is lemon flavored)
·         Ice
Place 2 or 3 ice cubes in a 6 ounce cocktail glass (a stemmed glass).  Add the strawberry vodka and fill with lemon Italian soda.

STRAWBERRY VODKA TONIC
 A great seasonal twist on a classic cocktail!
Serves:  1
·         1 ½ ounces strawberry vodka
·         Tonic water
·         Ice
Fill an 8-12 ounce highball glass with ice.  Add strawberry vodka and tonic.

Comments

I love strawberries and could never get tired of reading strawberry recipes especially if it involves vodka. Two of my favorite things! :) I need to get some strawberries because I really want to make your strawberry vodka tonic.

You must be knee-deep in strawberry season!!!! Lucky you! I was going to make some strawberry tequila this spring but strawberry season came and went without that getting done. Enjoy all the fruits of the season! (I am printing this off for next spring!)

I've seen several straberry vodka recipes lately, but your post convinced me. I must try that strawberry ginger cooler, looks fantastic!

I seriously wish I could show up at your house at cocktail hour sometime! You come up with the most delicious and refreshing sounding cocktails. the pale pink color of the vodka is beautiful!

I must say I LOVE this post! Everyone who knows me knows I drink cherry vodka every time I go out with friends and they would find it AMAZING if I made my very own! I'll have to try this and impress my friends, thanks for sharing!! :)

I've got strawberries on my mind, too. I keep thinking about a strawberry/tomato salsa recipe I found. I just can't put the flavors together in my mind, so I'll have to make it to figure it out.

But I digress…I've never infused vodka, but you're right. It does look easy. Maybe next summer I'll make a batch :)

Hi Cocinaecantada:

I think you can infuse any alcohol. The trick is the flavor profile. I posted a different recipe for Watermelon-Infused Tequila. Based on my research I only use white or silver tequila which is not aged therefore not having a heavy, distinct flavor. I've also made Cherry Bounce, which is sour cherries, sugar and bourbon which is divine. Consider the alcohol you like and get a mild flavor (strawberries are mild) and I'm sure it will be delicious!

8. Anonymous says

Looking forward to a recipe for cognac infused cherries…had them with a wonderful whiskey sour drink in a local pub…..just wanted the cherries!!

Oh my goodness, I love infusing spirits, and what's better than strawberry infused vodka?! Especially this time of year, when the berries are so darn fresh and sweet.

I wrote a compilation post about my favorite strawberry recipes (http://bit.ly/Kx5aYE) and most definitely included a link to this infusion. I think I'm gonna bust out some strawberry vodka at our Memorial Day party– thanks for the recipe!

10. Veronica says

If you take the first batch of strawberries out after a few days, then add a batch of fresh ones for another few days, the results are out of this world!

11. Shelf Life Question says

How long is the vodka good for after you infuse it? Is there a limited shelf life before/if it spoils?

My apologies for the delay in responding! I'm querrying a Master Distiller friend as an 'expert'! Until then I can tell you I discarded the strawberries once infused and kept it all through the summer in a dark, cool place with no issue. Mine has never lasted enough to test how long it keeps! I also feel making small batches helps with this too. I'll post another comment once I hear back from the distiller. Thank you!

I just made another batch of this and it's lovely stuff. The local strawberries are just coming to the end of their season but they still taste great. I like the infused vodka in the following cocktail:
    Serves: 1
    · 2 ounces strawberry-infused vodka
    · 1 ounce sugar (simple) syrup
    · Soda / Seltzer water
    Add a few ice cubes to a tall glass.
    Shake the strawberry-infused vodka and syrup with ice in a cocktail shaker before straining into your glass (if you just add these two ingredients to the glass without shaking the syrup will sink to the bottom).
    Top up with soda water.
    Garnish with half a strawberry and a sprig of fresh mint (optional).
    It's not exactly the most imaginative cocktail but I think it really showcases the beautiful taste of the strawberry vodka. The other cocktails list above are great too though. It also tastes nice served as a shot with approximately one part syrup to three parts vodka (or to suit your tastes), just remember to shake both with ice first though. It tastes nice neat straight from the freezer too.

Hi Alex! Thanks for all of this. I love knowing what people do when they make the recipes. I think these infusions lend themselves to more simple cocktails frankly and yours sounds perfect. I like to taste the flavor of the infusion and something like strawberry can quickly be overtaken with lots of other ingredients. Thanks much for leaving this!