Spicy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup is filled with shredded chicken, tomatoes, corn and more. Taco toppings are the finishing touch. This crock pot chicken soup recipe would make an easy Cinco de Mayo dinner, too!
I LOVE my slow cooker. I tend to use it in spurts, but it has been so cold I love putting something together to cook all day, filling the house with delicious smells to be ready exactly when I need it to be. Slow cooker soup recipes are a favorite. All day simmering creates flavors that are unmatched.
More than combatting the temperature highs in the 20’s we’ve enjoyed for the past few weeks, I appreciate the slow cooker for letting me have most of my day to do things other than make dinner. Even over the holiday break, though I had the time, I did not want to spend it all in the kitchen. I was more interested in doing some frigid outdoor cooking on a new smoker Santa brought me!
The transition back to the school routine after a break is always rough. And not just for kids. My family sinks into a break like a cozy easy chair we don’t want to leave. However, when the kids go back, I inevitably have a mountain of blogging work and house-related work to do, as well as I’m out of my normal groove.
I can’t think of what to make for dinner. I don’t have time to go to the grocery store for a few days for all I need to catch up on. What I really want is to snap my fingers and have it covered.
A slow cooker is about as close as one can get to a magical moment of dinner instantly appearing in my opinion. There is nothing better than loading all your ingredients into the slow cooker and ending up with a delicious meal and people begging for seconds.
Warm up with Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup!
This slow cooker mexican chicken soup is layered with all the things we love in Mexican food: shredded chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, spicy flavors and rice. It’s a hearty soup that has enough in it that it’s stick-to-your-ribs filling as a main dish.
Topped with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, green onion slices and cilantro leaves; it’s fresh and satisfying. Preparing the Mexican chicken and rice soup recipe in the slow cooker makes an ample batch so it can feed a group with seconds too! You’ll want a bowl every day! For another delicious blast of flavor, try this recipe for slow cooker curry chicken with potatoes.
More EASY Mexican-Inspired Recipes You’ll Love:
- Mexican Fiesta Cauliflower Rice
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Taco Meat (for a crowd)
- Mexican Chorizo Lentil Stew
If you’ve tried this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken and Rice soup or any other recipe on BoulderLocavore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m up to!
How to make this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe:
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup is chock full of black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, shredded chicken and rice in a spicy broth. It's sure to take the sting out of a winter day or feed a crowd with no fuss.
- 1 medium Yellow Onion , peeled and chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves , diced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen Corn Kernels (does not need to be thawed first)
- 1 15-ounce can Black Beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- ½ cup Long Grain White Rice
- 1 4-ounce can Diced Green Chile Peppers (mild heat)
- 1 15-ounce can Red Enchilada Sauce (medium heat)
- 6 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper (preferably freshly ground)
- Toppings: shredded Mexican cheese blend, sour cream, sliced scallions and torn fresh Cilantro leaves , sour cream, sliced scallions and torn fresh Cilantro leaves
- In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker layer the onion, garlic, corn, black beans and tomatoes evenly on the bottom. Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle the rice over the chicken. Add the diced chilies, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours (or low for 5 ½ hours).
- Remove the chicken breasts at 3 hours. Check that they are cooked through (no pink inside) and using two forks shred the meat. Put the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker for 30 minutes more. The soup is done when the chicken if cooked through and the rice is soft. Allowing it to cook the full time blends the flavors together well.